Sign in to follow this  

suspension question

roughly how much should my suspension (front and rear) sag when i am sitting on the bike... it seems to ride very well, but im wondering if i need to stiffen up the preload on the rear i weigh about 205 and ride an 04 250

+1, because for your weight, preloading the stock spring to try getting proper sag settings is not going to work. You could preload it enough probably to get race sag(the sag with rider aboard),but unladen(free sag) would be 0 and the back end would be stiff as a board and handling would suffer.

Same goes for the fork springs.

geez, thats a lot of money! but thanks for the information. like i said the bike seems to handle great and i have never bottomed it out while riding, but i do think that it could benefit from some heavier springs. Where is a good place to purchase and how much should i expect to pay for fronts and rears. also what weight oil needs to be installed?

geez, thats a lot of money!

Yea I know but it is the best thing you can do to your bike

like I said the bike seems to handle great and I have never bottomed it out while riding, but I do think that it could benefit from some heavier springs.

After you get your suspension set up for you weight it will feel like a completely different bike. With the proper springs your bike will be sitting at the proper SAG / "ride height" right where the Honda engineers designed for. It will give you more confidence in the bike, (making you a better rider) it will make the bike feel lighter on the trail (not a big mushy mess) better breaking, better acceleration and most importantly if you are hauling @$$ and come up on a surprise set of whoops, or _______ you will have a better chance of riding through it because you bike will be able to handle it.

Where is a good place to purchase and how much should I expect to pay for fronts and rears. also what weight oil needs to be installed?

There is that east cost guy WER.....I have heard nothing but great things about him

At a well know high end shop (WER, Precision Concepts, Racetech, RG3, Factory Connection........and so on) new springs (front and rear) revalve, new seals, new oil and labor you are looking $600.00 to 800.00. If you search in you area you might be able to find a local guy for less than $600.00. I have a local independent guy here in so-cal who has just worked some magic on my XR and he could do it for around $500.00

You can replace the springs yourself. It's pretty easy. Just springs front and rear will run you about 150-$200.

well 250 -300 isnt to bad... may i need to just lose some weight huh?

If you were to do the front and the back at different times because of ca$h flow which would you do first? or is that not a good idea?

well 250 -300 isnt to bad... may i need to just lose some weight huh?

Most of us can say that :)

If you were to do the front and the back at different times because of ca$h flow which would you do first? or is that not a good idea?

I would do the front........New springs and fresh 5w oil is something you can do your self. On the XR400 @ 210 lbs I did not need a new rear spring....that may be different on the XR250