Sign in to follow this  

Clutch burning problem

I have an 05 DRZ400e and it is the second DRZ I have owned.I have went through 3 cluches in 2 years and I am about ready to pull my hair out.

1st time Glamis (I know its Glamis) OEM

2nd time Glamis (I learned my lesson) Barnett Kevlar

3rd time Kennedy Meadows Rincon Trail OEM

After the second time I have started running Maxima oil thinking that may have been the problem.

I started running Motul 300v before the Kennedy trip and after the 90 degree weather on Rincon it started slipping again with only 6 months on the clutch.

I am at a loss. I have been riding for years and I think I am lossing my mind. Are the adjustments causing this or is it just me? I have not had any problems with normal terrain just extreme terrain.

Also, before the 2nd clutch I had the motor torn down because of a high compression issue and had all the gaskets replaced. My point was that I am not the only one that has put the clutch back together.

Any advice would be appreciated.

you need to make sure there is free play 100% of the time at the lever.

i know guys that have to adjust freeplay multiple times per day.

you need to make sure there is free play 100% of the time at the lever.

i know guys that have to adjust freeplay multiple times per day.

yeah that's a big one. I adjust my cable to where I can pull the lever back a tad before it starts to pull cable.

My gearing was 15/47 which I did think about after the fact. Do you think that could contribute to the problem?

The Magura Jack sound like a good idea if I get some extra cash.

Looks like I am going to have to pay more attention to the play. Its just weird that this is the only bike I have had this problem with.

15/47 could be a bit much for a trail like that. I was running 13/48 for the dirt last year, and 14/48 this year.

You would probably be feathering the clutch a lot on the Rincon. Likely to wear it out pretty fast.

I found that my lock nut at the clutch lever came loose and my adjustment was way out. Now I check it often, but I haven't had to adjust it much, luckily.

Magura clutch jack self adjusts constantly, you will never have clutch issues due to a misadjusted clutch.

Do you mean the Magura Jack hydraulic clutch setup?

15/47 could be a bit much for a trail like that. I was running 13/48 for the dirt last year, and 14/48 this year.

You would probably be feathering the clutch a lot on the Rincon. Likely to wear it out pretty fast.

I found that my lock nut at the clutch lever came loose and my adjustment was way out. Now I check it often, but I haven't had to adjust it much, luckily.

Ditto.......14/47 is even a bit tall for trail riding....I bet if you think back you'll see that your on the clutch quite a bit............

the Kennedy trip and after the 90 degree weather on Rincon it started slipping again with only 6 months on the clutch.

So how was the Rincon? I've heard it's pretty tough. I rode the Bull Run Trail last year and it was tough for me. That was my first black diamond trail, not too eager to try the Rincon. Maybe in a couple of years, and maybe with a lighter bike.

Rincon is not that bad. Very steep and slow. Some of the other trails I think are worse because of the boulders. I have done more damage to my bike and myself falling onto boulders. Oh I did eat it at the stream crossing and almost swamped the bike. Rattlesnake trail I think is more difficult. One way in and one way out.