Sign in to follow this  

Rust in the gas tank of a 89' honda?

A buddy of mine has a 1989 honda 400 street bike. anyway it needs some work but he said he would sell it to me for $400. The only big problem i see is that the inside of the gas tank has some surface rust on it. So without replacing the tank what would be a good way to insure that rust doesn't get into the motor? Im not about to buy a new tank for a $400 bike lol. Also the motor dosnt make any hard knocking or tapping noises but it seems really tight and wont rev past 4000 without cutting out or bogging. any ideas?

I believe there are kits out there for treating rust and sealing the surface of old metal gas tanks. A quick Google search brings up this

Your local yamaha dealer has this rust removal kit (two bottles) that are a prep/rust remover. Another route you can go with is kreem. The kreem stuff works well, but the only thing that I don't like about it is that after time, the finished coating starts breaking down and it goes straight to your fuel petcock and clogs it. The first stuff that I would suggest is the yamaha rust remover.

Evapo-Rust.

Google it, buy it, rejoice!

Well, I hear its quite good, this from some hard-core metalworking guys.

Dave