Sign in to follow this  

I have a Big Block

I have a 2003 Chevy 2500 silverado 8.1 liter with the Allison tranny how do I find out the axle ratio and "real towing" capacity ,I came from an 05 Super "Dukey" 6.0 diesel I'm not starting a big truck debate but the Chevy doesn't "feel like" she can pull up some of the big hills now I have not towed my hauler up the hills with the gasser but I have with the ford and the diesel felt struggled on hills a bit too so I'm reluctant to try and head up north with the gassers until if find out the Axel ratio and if anybody has don any mods to the big block

I did but I don't know what axle I have and even with the 4:11 axle those guys are HIGH as a kit if they think that that truck can pull 12k of trailer, No freaking way Btw I really like the Chevy's luxury inside compared to the ford but I don think that 12k is a realistic real world number

I did but I don't know what axle I have and even with the 4:11 axle those guys are HIGH as a kit if they think that that truck can pull 12k of trailer, No freaking way Btw I really like the Chevy's luxury inside compared to the ford but I don think that 12k is a realistic real world number

I don't know which Chevy forum is best, but you'll have to access the RPO code sticker (the biggest sticker inside you glovebox with a bunch of 3 character codes listed on it). The Chevy forums will have the RPO codes listed out and you can match the axle ratio codes with the ones you have to get the ratio for your vehicle. Hope this helps!

Dan

You probably have a 3.73 or a 4.10

I also have a 2003 2500HD

Look in your glove box for a white sticker with a bunch of codes on it.

GT4 is 3.73

GT5 is 4.10

Call the dealer with the Vin # and talk to the parts or service dept - they can tell you anything that the truck came stock with when they look up the Vin #

I have a 2003 Chevy 2500 silverado 8.1 liter with the Allison tranny how do I find out the axle ratio and "real towing" capacity ,I came from an 05 Super "Dukey" 6.0 diesel I'm not starting a big truck debate but the Chevy doesn't "feel like" she can pull up some of the big hills now I have not towed my hauler up the hills with the gasser but I have with the ford and the diesel felt struggled on hills a bit too so I'm reluctant to try and head up north with the gassers until if find out the Axel ratio and if anybody has don any mods to the big block

Check the glovebox, the door sticker, or crawl underneath and get the axle tag or take the VIN to the dealership-they'll be able to tell you.

Yes, the truck can tow a 12k load if it's got 4.11's.....remember, you're coming from a turbocharged diesel to a naturally aspirated gas engine....it's not going to be first rig to the top of the grade, but it'll pull it if it's running right.

The 8.1L was the engine of choice for many years in the Workhorse chassis (RV) and many of those rigs were over 20k loaded.

Now, remember that 12k rated tow cap is 150 lb driver, no passengers, no cargo and half tank of fuel, also. In reality, with passengers, fuel, misc cargo, you're probably looking more realistically at 10-10,500 towable.

I have that motor in my suburban ........ My trailer is heavy (10k?loaded)and it goes up the hills here pretty good.

With the 8.1 you shouldn't have any issues pulling anything aside from huge inclines. In put from others that have the same motor say their only complaint is the mpg!

Yeah, The 8.1 might not pull as well as the big ford but it is just so much more fun. Then when people start to talk big about what there packin' under the hood, you'll be one of the few who can tout the power of the ol' 496.

Hope it all works out well though! Happy hauling!

this makes me sad about my father. people talking about pulling 12000 pounds with a 3/4 ton chevy with a 502...my dad tows our 6 ton skidsteer around with his 06 chevy 1/2 ton with a 327. that poor pickups been two hell and back without trailer brakes twice. can you say warped rotors?

Anyways how do the torque numbers compare between your ford powerstroke and the 502?

6.0 Powerstroke - 570 ft/lbs

8.1 Chevy - 455 ft/lbs

this makes me sad about my father. people talking about pulling 12000 pounds with a 3/4 ton chevy with a 502...my dad tows our 6 ton skidsteer around with his 06 chevy 1/2 ton with a 327. that poor pickups been two hell and back without trailer brakes twice. can you say warped rotors?

Anyways how do the torque numbers compare between your ford powerstroke and the 502?

I hope your dad has good liability coverage-if he hits someone, they're going to own him.