Street Legal CRF150R

My friend just called me to say she was walking out of the Frisco, CO DMV with her license plate. We strapped on a UFO headlight/faring, superglued a taillight lens to her fender (the plate is gonna get bolted flat on top of the fender behind it), and put a bicycle horn and mirror on her bars (they are already off). Haha! I love Summit County. If a cop says anything about her lights not working the plan is to say they just stopped and we have to check the wiring. Cops don't really bother getting that serious anyway. They just want to see a plate. Just wanted to tell you guys and pat myself on the back.

• 1 year later...
same in Maine and Vermont when you go snowmobiling.You pop out of a trail and rip down the street to a gas station, then go back to the trails. As long as your registered and not speeding they don't care.

In Maine, They definately care if they see you. Game wardens are kind of dinks up here. But they are relitively few and far between so it is easy to get away with. If you are careful.

• 2 months later...

There's a bit more to a street-legal bike than having a license plate bolted on it.

As you alluded to, it must have working headlight, tailight, brake light, plus turn signals, DOT tires, etc.

The bike isn't legal for the street, as you pointed out. If it is stopped and checked for compliance, it could be impounded. The bike is far from legal, but nice try.

There's a bit more to a street-legal bike than having a license plate bolted on it.

As you alluded to, it must have working headlight, tailight, brake light, plus turn signals, DOT tires, etc.

The bike isn't legal for the street, as you pointed out. If it is stopped and checked for compliance, it could be impounded. The bike is far from legal, but nice try.

Depends where you live. To get a plate here you're supposed to have a horn, mirror, and DOT tires (no turn signals). When I was stopped by a cop (he was at a trailhead checking all riders) he only checked for a headlight, tail light, and license plate. Like I said, my friend's plan if asked to turn the lights on is to say they just stopped working and she needs to have the wiring checked. 2 years now and she's never been checked.

My point is only this: merely having a license plate bolted to a bike does NOT make it legal to ride on the street. That's my only point.

Plate or no plate, you obviously know the bike is not legal, from your comments on the lights.

Peace.

A street legal frame is a frame off a bike that has been plated. As long as the vin # on the frame matches the the vin # on the pink slip, then you're good to go. It's the best way to go, because that means someone else went through all the hassle of getting it plated.

• 12 years later...