Sign in to follow this  

2001 Honda XR650R lighting questions

ok I have a as listed above xr650r, i have it tagged and all but i really want to make it legit on the street, i'm going to get some blinkers and all but whats confusing me is with the stator. i understand it puts out AC current, i want a better high low beam headlight, blinkers, horn and brake and runnning light, and i want an accessory outlet, i was thinking about installing a battery on my bike, and rewinding the stator. how would i go about doing this, not the mounting but how to wire in the battery so it will charge and power all my junk. i really don't want to buy a dual sport kit. PLEASE HELP!!!!:)

Send the stator to Trail Tech (or Baja Designs) for a rewind and then get a small battery from them along with the appropriate rectifer/regulator. They will tell you the appropriate way to wire it all up. The TT kits are now pretty much plug and play for the DC stuff. Just tell them you want full DC and they will set you up. I have a BD rewind, and my buddies 650R has the TT rewind. Both are equal and we both run full DC as we use HID lighting. However we now use TT for all of our electrical/light needs as they are closer to us (cheaper shipping) and usually have a faster turnaround time. Right now Trail Tech's turnaround time will be getting slower as there are a whole bunch of guys out West that are trying to get bikes prepped for the upcoming 24hrs of Starvation Ridge (including me). Of course the Baja Designs guys get busy with people prepping bikes for the Baja 1000 this time of year. Trail Tech is very easy to get ahold of on the phone when needed and are super knowledgable. I have been able to get in touch with the BD guys, but it is not as easy some times.