Sign in to follow this  

Forgot the O-ring

So today was the first day I changed my oil in my new (to me) DRZ400sm. Long story short, I replaced the oil filter and forgot to install the smaller O-ring. I rode it about 15-20 miles and came home. I realized that I forgot it when I was throwing away the old filter and saw it stuck on the back of it. I did some research and only found a story of a guy who bought a bike and blew the engine because that tiny O-ring wasn't there and apparently contributes to oil pressure.

I'm about to go drain the oil again and put the ring back and put in some new oil.

Now nothing sounded odd, but please tell me I didn't do serious damage to my engine. I may just be super paranoid because it's only a week old to me, but did I just screw myself here?

you do not need to replace ALL the oil

just pull the filter to install the "O"ring

you most likley did not do aney dameage but at the same time it was not good for it

the guy that distroyed his motor ran it that way for over 1,000 miles

i think you will be ok... like said before you didn run it much, as long as the engine doesn make any noise you should be good.

I don't think it's worth changing the oil again.

For what it's worth, I bought a second hand bike, thrashed it, then changed the oil and found the o-ring missing. I don't know if the previous owner ever had the o-ring on...

I can't see it being a pressure issue as much as a possible miniscule bypass of the filter issue... The spring on the filter cap does push the filter against the housing...

Maybe the more knowledgeable lads will add something shortly...

you do not need to replace ALL the oil

just pull the filter to install the "O"ring

Okay that was my next question, will a lot be coming out? Or just the amount that was in the filter?

just the amount thats in the filter... its a dry sump system if im not mistaken?... buy a repair manual, it helps out a ton with gettin to know your bike

Okay, so i put that son of a bitch back in, and i was looking in where the filter sits and I saw some small cracks. I just about wanted to put a bullet through my head but I just took a look at the 'Basic Oil Change walk through' on here and from the looks of his pictures, those are just normal and they aren't a catastrophic result of my 15-20 mile ride.

I took a pic of it, http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c87/calden/IMG_9965.jpg?t=1218523167 any experienced DRZers who know their bikes please let me know. I just don't want to find out I just started to kill my engine and that is where my block is going to crack soon.

okay thank god.

thanks a ton guys, keepin a newbie from going crazy.

Yip, nothing wrong with those "cracks"....go ride !!!!