Sign in to follow this  

Toyhauler or Small Motorhome and enclosed trailer

I currently have a Ford F250 and pull an 18' Toyhauler and am thinking about changing my set-up to a small 22' Motorhome and a 10' trailer. We typically use our rig for motocross races and going out to the desert for weekend rides. I typically am hauling 2 or 4 bikes and have 2 or 4 people in my rig. I am just getting really tired of always having to load and unload the trailer and like the idea of being able to keep all of the riding gear in the enclosed trailer and hanging out in the RV. When it is windy or rainy it just would be awful nice to pull up and not need to unload everything out into the weather so that I have a place to sleep. I know there are pros and cons to both set-up but am wondering if I should just stay with what I have since the advantages of changing may not be that significant. Has anyone made this change and would you do it again?

Myself, I like the ability to send the Mrs back and have her make me a sandwich or get me a cold soda from the fridge while I'm rolling, and the only time we need to stop for a "potty break" is when I have to go......or the dogs.

I've heard some complain about the lack of a vehicle for "emergency" runs, but I don't plan on heading to the ER every trip, and if it's that bad, that's what ambulance's and life flight are for-they're staffed with pro's.....if it's minor enough I can transport, it can wait another 20 minutes while I load up.

Thats what i did. junked the WW for a 26' motorhome and a 20' enclosed. its so nice to pull up, level and camp now. no more unloading at 10pm. another nice thing is i can put the bikes away at night

I currently have a Ford F250 and pull an 18' Toyhauler and am thinking about changing my set-up to a small 22' Motorhome and a 10' trailer. We typically use our rig for motocross races and going out to the desert for weekend rides. I typically am hauling 2 or 4 bikes and have 2 or 4 people in my rig. I am just getting really tired of always having to load and unload the trailer and like the idea of being able to keep all of the riding gear in the enclosed trailer and hanging out in the RV. When it is windy or rainy it just would be awful nice to pull up and not need to unload everything out into the weather so that I have a place to sleep. I know there are pros and cons to both set-up but am wondering if I should just stay with what I have since the advantages of changing may not be that significant. Has anyone made this change and would you do it again?

Until i bought my property in the desert i was thinking of the same thing (just got to get me a container to leave my stuff in.) If there is such a thing as camping/traveling without bikes you can leave the trailer at home.

I have never had a toybox but my friends do. I use a 24' RV and pull a 6x10 trailer for the bikes. The four of us (me,wife and two kids) are happy but if I were to do it over again I would look for something in the 26-30 foot range. Smaller RVs generally do not have a couch or any place to "hang out" at except for the dinner table and it is just not that comfortable. Additionally, smaller RV are very limited on fresh water and holding tank size. We only have 40 of fresh water which aint much for four people. we have never run dry but it is something we always have to watch. I would give the same advise regarding the trailer you are going to pull with it, get the biggest one you can. I started with a little 4x8. It worked fine for several years but once I stole my father-in-law's 6x10 it sure is a lot nicer having that extra room to load stuff.

Generally when we are camping, I load up the trailer the night before we leave as I like to get an early start. In the AM I move the kids to the lower beds and head home while they are still sleeping.

Finally, we have camped at the beach and in the mountains many times with out the trailer. It is nice not to have to tow something.

If you have storage for both Motorhome and trailer then do it. I have a 36ft Toyhauler and love it because I store the bikes in the Toyhauler at a storage yard because I do not have room at my house. I pay $175 per month for storage. I always felt if you had a Motorhome as soon as you left the house you and the family were on vacation. Pulling the 5th wheel you were not on vacation until you got to your destination and unloaded everything.

Have you ever thought about the motorhomes with a garage in the back which you could store your bikes and gear. I bought a class "A" Outlaw Rv (www.outlawrv.com) and we love it. I agree that it is nice tha the wife could make a sandwich or get a soda as you are driving, or the kids to use the bathroom and you don't have to pull over. Now days, everything is auto. I could set up the rv (leveling, pop outs, etc...) in about 5 min.

Have you ever thought about the motorhomes with a garage in the back which you could store your bikes and gear. I bought a class "A" Outlaw Rv (www.outlawrv.com) and we love it. I agree that it is nice tha the wife could make a sandwich or get a soda as you are driving, or the kids to use the bathroom and you don't have to pull over. Now days, everything is auto. I could set up the rv (leveling, pop outs, etc...) in about 5 min.

i looked into those. if im gona spend that much money it better have a walk around queen bed and bedroom. not no fold out couch or some small ass crawl space sleeping area, like all the ones i have seen

Thanks for the feedback, I really like the idea of pulling into camp and being able to just level the rig and go to bed. With the trailer I have to unload before I can kick back and relax a bit. I would be storing the rig and trailer on the side of my house which does limit me on size. I think the biggest i could go is a 24' RV and 6' x 10' trailer.

Yeah, my buddy has one of them. The only drawback with his is that he doesn't have the hydraulic lift gate so after a tough day of riding its a bit tough getting the bikes loaded up in the back since it sits so high.

almost traded the burban for a deisel pusher. If the guy comes down in price enough, Ill still do it for reasons that CH stated above