Sign in to follow this  

Nutrition

What are some good meals for breakfast, lunch, and dinner to combine with strength training to help lose body fat and put on muscle mass?

Eat 6 times a day. Eggs and Whole grain toast in the morning, protein bars, chicken, fish, nuts and fruit and salads.

A trainer told me this " If it walked the earth, flew in the sky, grew from the earth or swam in the sea, it's good for you."

Stay away from Starchy foods like Potatoes and rice etc... not to mention junk food and candy.

Sugar is the enemy to being lean.:)

Breakfasts: (300-350 cal) (coffee is optional, water is a must)

a) 1 -1 1/2 cups Cheerios with a banana and 4 strawberries and 1/4 cup skim milk, multi vitamin and calcium supplement

:) 2 eggs fried with spray no-calorie oil, 2 pieces bacon and 1 piece 45 calorie whole wheat or multi grain toast, multi vitamin and calcium supplement

c) 1/2 cup oatmeal with 4 strawberries, 1/4 cup blueberries, sugar substitute, cinnamon and 1/4 cup skim milk, multi vitamin and calcium supplement

Midmorning (or afternoon, or evening) snack: (200 cal)

a) apple, weight watchers 100 calorie yogurt

b)1/2 cup oatmeal, banana

c)18 baby carrots, orange

d)1 grapefruit, WW yogurt

e)7 dried apricots (120 cal), yogurt or apple

Lunch: with 1/2 liter water (mix with Crystal light if desired) (300-350 cal)

a) 1 can tuna (packed in water) mixed with 2 tablespoons lowfat Miracle Whip on two pieces 45 calorie whole wheat bread with about 4 baby dill pickles

:D 1/4 cup 2% cottage cheese, turkey sandwich with lettuce and pickles and one slice cheese

c)1/4 cup baked beans, and turkey (or ham) sandwich - meat is either 6 thin slices of turkey or 4 thin slices ham from Carl Buddig

d) small chef salad - 2 cups romaine lettuce, 1 hard boiled egg, carrots, 2-3 oz cut up meat with vinaigrette dressing (no more than 2 tablespoons) - no 100 Island, nofrench, no italian, Paul Newman diet Lime Vinaigrette is great.

Mid afternoon snack: (200 cal) another 1/2 liter water

same as above or

a)1 cup broccoli with a tablespoon of Ranch, 1/2 cup fruit of your choice

b)yogurt, can of V8 - not the new crap with the sugar in it

c)1/2 of a Johnsonville brat (135 cals) and a piece of whole grain bread

d) two hard boiled eggs

Dinner: another half liter water and another 350 cals

a) 1 medium baked potato with butter, bacon bits, shredded cheese, 2 pads of butter, salt and pepper - a little Hormel chili is ok if only less than 1/4 cup (a guy needs Potassium - dried apricots and spuds are 1000mg each if you eat the tater skin)

b)3-4 oz steak - trim the fat, small dinner salad, green beans

c) 1/4lb burger on one slice whole grain bread, small dinner salad

d) fajitas - 2 max

e) tacos - 2 max, 1 if you stuff it full on a soft shell

Evening snack:

use something from above, I try to eat more fruit but 3 doritos chips are ok, about 5 potato ships are ok, 2 Ritz crackers - you get the picture, taste it but don't gorge on it

Work out soon after eating:

Finish the workout with a serving of lean lunch meat (protein) and 8 oz chocolate skim milk.

Sugar, enriched wheat flour, and high fructose corn syrup are evil.

Whey protein supplement will help muscle gain - audit your diet and adjust to get 30% protein daily

Work out (til failure) for an hour 3-4 times hour weekly

Ride at least 2 hours weekly - I do 2 to 3 motos each ride, not until exhaustion

Add 5 hours of very brisk walking, bike riding, or whatever it takes to get your heart rate over 115.

This has worked for me since April - lost over 25 lbs, gained some muscle, reset the sag on my bike, and in general I am in really good shape for an older fart. Speaking of intestinal gas; bananas, apples, apricots and oat products ferment in your large intestine and create hydrogen and/or methane gas. Nothing good comes for free. Good luck.

• Like 1

a) 1 -1 1/2 cups Cheerios with a banana and 4 strawberries and 1/4 cup skim milk, multi vitamin and calcium supplement

:worthy: 2 eggs fried with spray no-calorie oil, 2 pieces bacon and 1 piece 45 calorie whole wheat or multi grain toast, multi vitamin and calcium supplement

c) 1/2 cup oatmeal with 4 strawberries, 1/4 cup blueberries, sugar substitute, cinnamon and 1/4 cup skim milk, multi vitamin and calcium supplement

a) 1 can tuna (packed in water) mixed with 2 tablespoons lowfat Miracle Whip on two pieces 45 calorie whole wheat bread with about 4 baby dill pickles

:ride: 1/4 cup 2% cottage cheese, turkey sandwich with lettuce and pickles and one slice cheese

c)1/4 cup baked beans, and turkey (or ham) sandwich - meat is either 6 thin slices of turkey or 4 thin slices ham from Carl Buddig

d) small chef salad - 2 cups romaine lettuce, 1 hard boiled egg, carrots, 2-3 oz cut up meat with vinaigrette dressing (no more than 2 tablespoons) - no 100 Island, nofrench, no italian, Paul Newman diet Lime Vinaigrette is great.

same as above or

d) two hard boiled eggs

a) 1 medium baked potato with butter, bacon bits, shredded cheese, 2 pads of butter, salt and pepper - a little Hormel chili is ok if only less than 1/4 cup (a guy needs Potassium - dried apricots and spuds are 1000mg each if you eat the tater skin)

d) fajitas - 2 max

Evening snack:

use something from above, I try to eat more fruit but 3 doritos chips are ok, about 5 potato ships are ok, 2 Ritz crackers - you get the picture, taste it but don't gorge on it

Finish the workout with a serving of lean lunch meat (protein) and 8 oz chocolate skim milk.

Whey protein supplement will help muscle gain - audit your diet and adjust to get 30% protein daily

Ride at least 2 hours weekly - I do 2 to 3 motos each ride, not until exhaustion

Add 5 hours of very brisk walking, bike riding, or whatever it takes to get your heart rate over 115.

This has worked for me since April - lost over 25 lbs, gained some muscle, reset the sag on my bike, and in general I am in really good shape for an older fart. Speaking of intestinal gas; bananas, apples, apricots and oat products ferment in your large intestine and create hydrogen and/or methane gas. Nothing good comes for free. Good luck.

You the man :) Thats exactly what I was looking for. Gas to you :D

A trainer told me this " If it walked the earth, flew in the sky, grew from the earth or swam in the sea, it's good for you."

A doctor told me something similar but with a twist = "If it walks, don't eat it".

Fish, birds, and plants are all ok, but he recommended to stay away from beef and pork.

I like BBQ too much to follow his advice :)

is this enough calories to allow a body to work, work out, live, ride bikes and maintain muscle while losing fat. i think i'd get real hungry eating like that. does the body adjust to eating less after a short period, cause i'm trying to do just that right now and its a fight to get to the next meal even tho i'm snacking on fruit between meals.

is this enough calories to allow a body to work, work out, live, ride bikes and maintain muscle while losing fat. i think i'd get real hungry eating like that. does the body adjust to eating less after a short period, cause i'm trying to do just that right now and its a fight to get to the next meal even tho i'm snacking on fruit between meals.

Looks like he's only eating about 1400 to 1600 calories a day. If you are a young active guy who is trying to put on muscle this will NOT be enough food for you. If you're an older semi active guy who wants to lose a bunch of weight, this looks like a meal plan for you.

It's not enough food for ME, and I'm an old semi active female...so, er, yeah, does that give you an idea?

:) 2 eggs fried with spray no-calorie oil, 2 pieces bacon and 1 piece 45 calorie whole wheat or multi grain toast, multi vitamin and calcium supplement

:D 1/4 cup 2% cottage cheese, turkey sandwich with lettuce and pickles and one slice cheese

same as above or

d) two hard boiled eggs

d) fajitas - 2 max

Evening snack:

You state that Sugar is evil, yet you suggest Chocolate Milk which is loaded with Sugar.

Try raw spinach with the spray salad dressing. The dressing only has 1 calory per spray and raw spinach is a super food.

You state that Sugar is evil, yet you suggest Chocolate Milk which is loaded with Sugar.

Yup, you busted me. But, if you only use one tablespoon of Hershey's Syrup in 8oz skim milk, it's only 10g of sugar. Even dead Dr. Atkins allowed 20g of sugar a day. :)

I did a search on nutrition here and there is a ton of info that has been contributed that will get him the diet and muscle building low down. Hopefully the kid gets what he needs without too much distraction.

Signed, another rickk

I hate nutritiion, and that is why I usually let the athletic trainers, and other guys interested in it answer these things.

Since I am studying the nutrition chapters for the ABOS's Sports Medicine test this weekend, I will chyme in and explain that choclate milk is the reccommended recovery drink after a strenous work out. It has the exact right amount of carbs and protein. Other recovery drinks will do fine too, but they cost about 30 bucks for what you can get with two bucks worth of choclate milk.

(Now, I go on to the chapters on athletic ammenorhea. Don't they folks care what we know about the knee, or how to fix a bad ankle fracture??)