Sign in to follow this  

Rear Pegs --- Passenger pegs for XR650R

I have scoured the xr650 forum looking for a good solution to finding rear pegs for my rare occasion I need to give someone a short ride.

Baja Designs seem to get as many bad reviews as good ones (maybe more bad).

The others either require welding, drilling holes (neither of which I want to do), mounting to the swingarm (no way!), or other fabrication.

The international options seem to have no feedback from anyone in the US successfully buying and mounting them.

There is one pari that looks very interesting, with 3 mounting points on each side and a heel guard to keep feet out of the spokes. It can be found at http://www.mwracing.net/Monnier/monnier.html

Has anyone bought and installed these on a US xr650r?

Any other options I should consider??? I'll go BD unless I hear something soon, so help!!! :)

Thanks!

The only thing i didn't like on the BD pegs is that you have to put a thick washer(s) on the left one to keep it from hitting the swing arm,and\or file a little off the bottom.

I heard input on breakage,so i tested mine with my own weight (190) .Jumped up and down on it,no problem.

I don't forsee anyone over a 150 lbs. riding on the back of my bike unless another rider just blew up his 450 and needs a ride:p ,then i'll tell them not weight the pegs too much.

The only thing i didn't like on the BD pegs is that you have to put a thick washer(s) on the left one to keep it from hitting the swing arm,and\or file a little off the bottom.

I heard input on breakage,so i tested mine with my own weight (190) .Jumped up and down on it,no problem.

I don't forsee anyone over a 150 lbs. riding on the back of my bike unless another rider just blew up his 450 and needs a ride:p ,then i'll tell them not weight the pegs too much.

Thanks. That is the first I heard of not fitting properly (needing a think washer). Seems lik ea minor issue (hopefully). Also hop ethey hold up from a strength standpoint. I also heard someone mention that they did't retract and stay up properly. Anyone else seeing that?

Mike.

Mine fit fine and I like them. My only problem with them is I seem to lose the little set screw that keeps the peg itself from spinning. I guess I should think about some lock-tite? :) But anyway, yhey are OK and I would recommend them but don't be carrying your 300lb+ grandma on the back. I think the pegs would be fine but the poor sub frame may not be so lucky with that weight.

Thanks Thresher90. I just want to occasionally carry a person more safely if I need to give a ride. Sounds like these should work. And I'll use locktite!

I did have a issue with one that came down once while riding,so now i use a slice (about 1\2")of Mt. bike tube around each one.

A 2" piece works good for the regular pegs too.Keeps mud and water out of the pivot.

Hey no problem :) One other thing I forgot to mention is that the peg on the right side of the bike doesn't fold up all the way unless it is tucked underneath the number plate. When I first realized this I was thinking what idiot designed these, then I actually liked it shoved up there because it prevents the peg from folding out while riding single. Its kinda hard to picture what I am saying but once you get them you'll see it. I would take a picture but the bikes are stored up north, sorry.

Also with the right peg, the bracket itself is held on by one bolt which kind of sucks but the way its designed seems to work OK. The Left peg and bracket are rock solid and seems to work out really nice. My only worry is that if I ever bottom out the suspension the chain may hit the aluminum bracket hold the peg on the bike. Now being the hardcore rider that I am not, I don't see myself bottoming out my suspension any time soon (at least not on purpose) :worthy: .

Well that's all that I can really think of that may help in your decision. Best of luck!

Derek

:D

Might want to check these out. I don't have any personal experience with them, but found the website while searching for subframe extensions / rear fender supports.

Thanks. Not sure those really mount in existing holes, and I don't want to drill into the frame. Also interestingi s that the listing shows they are for 00-03 xr650r. Mine is a 2007. Maybe those holes are one of the few things different about a 2007. :)

Mike

No, 2000-2007 XR650R's are the same except for a clutch Bushing in the 00' and 01' (Then I think there are a few other little things different). Your sitting pretty with the 2007 :) .

I like those other pegs. It looks like they sit a little lower than the Baja Design pegs (they don't look as good but look good enough for me, this isn't a dirt bike fashion show). That is one complaint I get when I take my girl friend out for a ride. She always says the pegs are too high. Hopefully she doesn't see those other pegs because I have already bought the Baja Design ones for big bucks and can't afford these right now.

Not sure those really mount in existing holes, and I don't want to drill into the frame.

Says right there in the description that they mount-up using existing holes...

Says right there in the description that they mount-up using existing holes...

I don't remember seeing those holes on my bike. Does yours have them?

Oh yes your bike has them. Those holes are the holes that the kickstand mounts too. Those pegs on that link look a lot like those pegs that they put on the European XR650RSM. Here are some pictures of them... But I have no idea where to buy them. Believe me I spent two months of my life e-mailing and making long distance phone calls to Europe trying to find a place that sells these pegs :D . If anyone knows a place, please pm me or let the world know :) .

2005_sx.jpg

PEDANA_POST_SX.jpg

PEDANA_POST_DX.jpg

2005_dx.jpg

Would love to get them also. If anyone knows what country they can be bought, perhaps I can pick up a few pair if/when I get oover there.

I've been thinking about making a set of passenger pegs for my 650R, and I'm wondering what type of footpegs I should use. I've seen some sportbikes with nice looking lightweight aluminum passenger pegs. The ones on the DRZ's aren't too bad either. Can anyone tell me what application I might want to pull parts from?

No, something more like these. I'm going to make the brackets. Just wondering what passenger pegs I should use. Looking for a suggestion as far as an application to get the footpegs from. Something that would be easy to make mounts for and is simple and lightweight.