Sign in to follow this  

bogging because of colder weather???

400e, sea level, t4 pipe ,opened air box plus properly re jetted to suit. bike always starts 1-3 kicks and was running great, but... over the last couple of months it has slowly been developing an occasional of idle bog. i havent done one single thing to carb/ air systems. can colder weather cause my bike to bog occasionally or could it be something else. if it is because of colder weather, what can i do to remedy this .cheers :D:)

If... in fact the bog is cold weather related, then a jetting issue may be the cause. If you were running on the edge of being lean and it got colder, being cold air is denser and requires a richer mixture, it could need a tweak. It could also be that the carb needs cleaning. I'd clean it first to see if that cures things.

If... in fact the bog is cold weather related, then a jetting issue may be the cause. If you were running on the edge of being lean and it got colder, being cold air is denser and requires a richer mixture, it could need a tweak. It could also be that the carb needs cleaning. I'd clean it first to see if that cures things.

thanks william, i'll stip it down and clean. if it does need a tweek what due to leanness, whats the best thing to do, bearing in mind that it ran great thru the warmer months. cheers

hey william, i pulled the carb and cleaned it out,(there was alot of black oily substance , especially at the top ) refitted it and it started easy as usual. but...now the bike sounds rich ( on the stand) and im getting black smoke when i twist the throttle from 1/4 on.from closed to 1/4 seems ok. so i lowered the needle ( from 5th position to 4th) but it didnt seem to make any difference. im taking it out tomorrow so will see how it runs under load but any thoughts or advice will be appreciated. i was thinking that maybe the jets were so gummed up previosly that cleaning them might be the cause of it running rich now ?

Unless the carb has been messed up for a long time and you had jetted to compensate, hate to say it but a significant change in apparent jetting leads me to think you have put something together incorrectly.

Never try to judge carb jetting on the stand. That can only tell you that you are drastically off. You must run the bike as normal to really know.

When you say you moved the clip, you are counting from the top/flat, correct? If so, you did richen the mix.

What is the exact jetting and altitude/temp you are riding at?

sea level, currently about 10 deg celcius. i didnt get the jet sizes when i cleaned the carb but needle is stock and i noticed that it has little scratches about 1/2 way down going around the full circumference. i took it out today and rode it with he needle at 4th from top. experienced bog/cut out when cracking throttle. put clip in the third position and it bogged worse and lacked power. then put clip on 5th from top and it ran a bit better with less bog but sounded rich.in allclip positions , if i pulled the choke out, the bog went away. the bike had slowly been developing this bog and i havent played with carb until now which i have detailed in this thread..bike starts easily and idles fine . just for clarification, i have enterpreted bogging as the engine cutting out when i crack the throttle. to really confuse me the bike had small backfire on decell.

I don't have a DRZ, but when my DR350 and my 450EXC show those symptoms in cold weather, it seems that a little adjustment to my fuel mixture screw cures the problem. Usually about 1/4 to 1/2 turn to richen it up a bit.

Yes, try adjusting your fuel screw and possibly turning up your idle a bit.

My E had a similiar symptom at elevation....cleaned the carb and adjusted the fuel screw to where I felt the bike ran the best, not where it was previuosly set, and problem disappeared.

yeah, i'll have a fiddle with that today, thanks, ill keep you posted,

On the way home from work tonight I noticed a slight bog/studder while cruising steady in 4th gear at an indicated 45-50mph. There was a big difference in weather as it was night time and cooled off a lot due to a heavy rain storm. The temp during the day was about 85-90 and tonight probably 75.

Could the weather have made me notice the bog? How do I get rid of this?