Sign in to follow this  

Knee brace vs knee guard

Dr. Mark, I've noticed quite a lot of talk about knee braces causing femur breaks. With the recent breaking of femurs by Trey Canard and Aron Harvey, I can't help but ask a couple of questions.

Do you differentiate between knee guards and braces as far as this type of injury goes?

I currently wear knee guards and can say without a doubt, they've saved me from many a cracked knee cap. Looking at the scars on them is enough proof of this.

However, I don't want to put myself in danger. So, can you clear this issue up for me?

Dr Mark: To piggyback on this question, I posted this in another post, but it may have been lost in the shuffle:

I hurt my knee a few weeks ago, and participated in your survey. Before I ride agin, I have to make some protection choses. I'm wondering, do you think a less "solid" knee guards like the Thor Force (pivoting) offer a good compromise to the "solid=energy transfer" broken leg-EVS knee braces? I'm not endorsing or picking on any name brand, but using those products as an example.

I'm guessing the less rigid plastic may give before a bone breaks, but still offer some degree of knee (twisting) protection.

But I'm no doctor, just a guy who's been riding for 35 years plus. Thank you.