Sign in to follow this  

Checking the oil on an old DR

Hello and thank you for checking out my post. After quite a while of procrastenating I have finally delved into the world of owning a motorcycle and must admit that I already love it! I recently purchased what I believe to be an 82 Suzuki DR250 4 stroke enduro out of a friends neighbor's barn:naughty: So far I have really enjoyed owning it and have already collected a few hours of riding it around our neighborhood! I did the basics of changing the plug, cleaning the air filter/carb, new fuel filter and changing the oil and filter which is where my question comes from. I found the sight glass but was not sure if I should check the oil with the engine running or not. Hot or cold? I appreciate any help you guys can offer as I have already learned a ton roaming around the boards. Thanks!

the best way to do it is to check it with the bike level, upright, with the level at the top of the sight glass on a cold engine

Great, thanks for the quick responses guys! I plan to take it out for the first real time this weekend and wanted to make sure that it was at a safe level.