Sign in to follow this  

help , xr400 - jetting

Hi guys,i'm nacho from ANDORRA (Europe)

I have an xr400 '02 (not snorkel, and stock exhaust ,VORTIP end tap)

i'm riding at +- 3000 ft and found the bike running a little rich, (spark plug is black) ,so i've open the carb and found

Main jet:162

Slow Jet: 55

Needle clip at 3rd groove

it's me or the main jet should be smaller (Say 158 or 156) ??

What do you think about the right jetting for riding at +- 3000 - 4000 ft?

thanks

I agree, that 162 is too big. I ran the 155 here at 3600'. What air filter are you running?

Your needle is 3rd from top? That would be the middle position, which is stock, should be ok.

I agree, that 162 is too big. I ran the 155 here at 3600'. What air filter are you running?

Your needle is 3rd from top? That would be the middle position, which is stock, should be ok.

thanks, i'm with stock air filter

what about slow jet ?? 55 is fine???

I was just riding in area where the elevations were 2200 - 6500. I ran a 155 main with a 62 pilot and it ran pretty well. For sea level, I run a 160 main with a 62 pilot.

What is your bike telling you? How's off idle throttle response? Where is the fuel screw set?

With a stock air filter and cage I would think the 55 would be a hair rich. Having the snorkle pulled and that Vortip isn't doing you alot of good with the stock air filter still installed. With a UNI filter, that 55 would be perfect.

thanks, i'm with stock air filter

what about slow jet ?? 55 is fine???

I run a uni filter, 58 pilot and a 158 main,Air screw 2 turns out,I have 96 exhaust tip without silencer, I run a DPR9Z plug which is a colder plug , since I ride at high speed and high rpms on hill climbs. My setup has been good from sea level up to 4000 with only minor air screw adjustments