Sign in to follow this  

Which one - 07 400xcw or 450?

Trying to decide whether to get a 400xcw or hold out for a 450.

Current bike I'm looking at is an 07 400xcw with 800mi and a few extras. Never ridden a 400 but have ridden a 450 but didnt go nuts.

I am 6ft. 225lbs. Would I be better of with the 450 as opposed to the 400?

Is the power difference that much different? Should I hold out for the 450? Rather have to much than not enough.

Thanks...Currently ride a modified 07 DRZ400S

With your size/weight, I would get a 525/530.

DBM

DBM

My friend with a 450exc who is smaller than me gave me the same advice. I've also been looking at 525s but came across this bike which is in excellent condition.

Better to have more than not enough. Thanks....

If you can afford a new bike....snag the first 09 530excr in your area. If not find a cherry 08 530 that starts easy hot or cold.

DBM

What type of terrain do you like to ride? Sounds funny, but sometimes slower is faster (and more enjoyable) if you ride very tight, technical terrain. I have an '07 400XCW and it's pure magic in the rocky single-track we have here in the Ozarks. Good luck with your shopping!

DBM

when I first got my 250f, I weighed 230lbs. it was more than enough bike for me. climbed everything, may have had to use 1st alot, but, I weigh 175lbs now and am 6'1'', and the 250f wasn't enough bike for me, so I got a 450, wanted the 530, but they didn't have any left.

depending on how modified your drz was, less than a yz250f hp stock vs. stock, the 400 might be more same or less power. I really like my 450, its a great bike with plenty of power

anyways, no matter what engine your going to get, it will have more than enough power to pull you around, the 5XX will definately lug you around the easiest though

What type of terrain do you like to ride? Sounds funny, but sometimes slower is faster (and more enjoyable) if you ride very tight, technical terrain. I have an '07 400XCW and it's pure magic in the rocky single-track we have here in the Ozarks. Good luck with your shopping!

I ride in pretty much everything. Tight, rocky, roots, sand...Majority I would say more tight technical terrain.

Leaning more towards the 525....

I don't think you can go wrong with the XCW400. It is a great all around bike. I ride mine everywhere , even the mx track. With a JD Jetting kit, springs front and rear and adding a tooth to the rear sprocket this bike gets it done.

The linear power of the short stroke 400 makes it easy to ride in any type of terrain.

348930946_pCcUc-M-1.jpg

Zero to 5K feet of elevation the 400 is it....if your going to ride 5K to 12K feet of elevation then go 450...which presents the option at any time to go 525 or on up to 540 (fairly cheaply).....I have the XC-W 07 450 and like it but in Northern New Mexico and Southern Colorado it probably doesn't have the poop a 400 does at sea level......I think the handling is just about dead even...both are geat....my2cents

most people buy way more than they can really use!! how many of you guys really have your bikes wrung out and are honestly searching for more power on a daily/every ride basis. a 400 xcw is a weapon in the right hands( ie a guy that gets out riding a lot and really pushes himself and his bike. and yes smoother is faster as well!

most people buy way more than they can really use!! how many of you guys really have your bikes wrung out and are honestly searching for more power on a daily/every ride basis. a 400 xcw is a weapon in the right hands( ie a guy that gets out riding a lot and really pushes himself and his bike. and yes smoother is faster as well!

I rang the 👍 out of my old WR. I had both hands on its neck and was squeezing as much as I could and got tired of doing that.

quite frequently, I had it topping out on its rev limiter in 5th gear going 93mph.

so I bought a 450

Thanks for the replys.....

I keep going back and forth between the two bikes. I can get an 07 400xcw for a good price that is in excellent condition. I do ride a mix of everything. I currently ride an 07 modifed DRZ400S and the biggest advantage would be the weight, handling and suspension.

Anyone know the hp on the 400xcw stock?

Thanks