Sign in to follow this  

Exterior oil tank

OK im sure I posted this here but I cant find it anywhere. I have a mint 03 crf450r but because of the price of fuel I am forced to street my beloved crosser. I already have all the fixins to make it legal now im shooting for reliable. I run 1 qrt of oil 10-40 full synthetic in tranny with 15-45 gear ratio. I cruise 65mph at 6000 just below the get up and go surge. Im getting around 45-48 mpg. :worthy: 3x what my commander gets lolz.

Im tapping into frame for extra fuel cap around 3.2 when full and the forward down tube is going to be my extra engine oil. What size line for proper pressure retention do you think is needed. If you look on front of the block there is a return line that is pressurized going into filter. In front of that you can see a hole where Honda was thinking of doing this but didn't.

Question is where would be the proper place to return the oil after I draw from here ? I dont mind adding a exterior oil filter in between and just tapping into side of stator case ontop or something. I have tried calling around to a couple of places that sell those $800 kits and they wont sell just the oil filter cover with the in/out already designed to make my install easier.

I also dont agree in running my oil thats 40f cooler then my water to cool my oil . I cant believe some of these companies actually believe this is the right way of doing this. Running you engine oil thru your radiator to cool it is :D . So any replys and advice would be nice :)

I'd worry equally about the gearbox and it's supply of oil....lots of folks having problems with gearbox when trying to run the CRF on the road fulltime

You'd be surprised how cool they acutally run. Water temps with decent speed can be as little as 160F. Oil temps should be 180-210F. Thats what the oil was designed to run at. So running the motor oil through the Rads isnt all that bad of an idea, because you want to warm the oil up as quickly as you can anyway. More volume will cool the oil all by itself to a point.

Running 650-700cc of oil in the trans seems to help with the trans failure issue.

my crf450r7 runs about 140-160 on the road.......what my vapor says......i have fluidynes and e-ice so i may be too cool?.......one time in the early spring when it was 40-48 degrees......the thing ran under 110 !!!!!!.......ran great though!!

Im running a full quart of rotella synthetic with lucas so it flings the oil nicely. I have a breather inplace of my oil fill plug. Ive checked it twice now with 5 hrs on it and im happy to report its all good