Sign in to follow this  

drz tank surgery

I cut my stock tank to lower the front and help flatten the seat. try to give it a more up to date look. Its not alot, but it will look factory once its painted.

before:

P7310230.jpg

Making the incision:

P8030235.jpg

P8030236.jpg

Ready for paint:

P8110259.jpg

First I'm hearing of a DRZ owner actually going for a REDUCTION in tank capacity!!

Nice work though!

Eric

First I'm hearing of a DRZ owner actually going for a REDUCTION in tank capacity!!

Nice work though!

Eric

I agree, smaller tank :)

Yes it looks nice, but you'll be stopping at every gas station:excuseme:

ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

It's the first time that I see someone doing something like that, and I simply think that it is a work of art... do you do this type of work with steel for a living? It looks absolutely factory, even unpainted!!!!! :):D:worthy::ride::banghead: :banghead:

Edited: May I ask the tools that you used to remove the paint, cut the steel, and the type of welding that you used? I'm still amazed... ;-)

I agree, smaller tank :)

Yes it looks nice, but you'll be stopping at every gas station:excuseme:

+1...it looks absolutely perfect. But seriously...smaller??:D

The tank didnt loose much capacity, its not even a quart. I dont plan on riding cross country on it, so if I loose 10 miles to a tank of gas, I wont be dissapointed.

Yuhas152, you are an artist with metal and at 23 (if your avitar is correct) I think we will be seeing a LOT more of you.

For those of you that have missed Yuhas152's work, take note of that pipe on his bike.. he made that himself too (yes, the exhaust header, mid pipe, and muffler).

Yuhas152, you are an artist with metal and at 23 (if your avitar is correct) I think we will be seeing a LOT more of you.

For those of you that have missed Yuhas152's work, take note of that pipe on his bike.. he made that himself too (yes, the exhaust header, mid pipe, and muffler).

I'm thoroughly impressed!

Thanks alot, and you will see alot more in the future.

It's the first time that I see someone doing something like that, and I simply think that it is a work of art... do you do this type of work with steel for a living? It looks absolutely factory, even unpainted!!!!! ...

He made his own exhaust on his bike so I'm pretty sure he does it for a living. Tig welding I'm betting.

Crap, Ripper-Joe beat me to it. I guess I need to refresh a thread before posting.

I was a machinist for awhile and picked up welding at work and on my own. I new how to mig weld and I bought a tig when I was 18 and taught my self.

Absolutely amazing, I repeat... and the exhaust work is just... I have no words to define it... :):D:worthy::ride:

Impressive craftsmanship.........but all that effort for virtually zero change in appearance? Seem's like it's not worth it. No one will ever see that change unless you put a stock SM next to it and point it out.

No one will ever see that change unless you put a stock SM next to it and point it out.

That's what makes it a great mod. 99% of people will think its factory.

The tank will be less weight and will hold less gas so the front wheel will come off the ground easer

Hi Yuhas, :ride:

I'm in total awe... :worthy:

If your chosen career involves any of the skills you just demonstrated... you will be wildly successful and wealthy!:D:)

First, I'm in awe of your ability to envision that concept, and then with the perception to know where to cut the tank to acheive the desired results, and then of your metallurgic skills to flawlessly join the pieces.

I do have one question...

Since cutting and joining compromised the interior of the tank,

what product did you use to recoat the insides?

Take Care,

Greg

Nice job, and well done. :)

I do have one question...

Since cutting and joining compromised the interior of the tank,

what product did you use to recoat the insides?

Take Care,

Greg

Greg what makes you think the stock tank has a coating to protect it :worthy:

Neil. :D:ride::banghead: