Sign in to follow this  

New vs Used rear wheel

My 14 year old son rides a 2002 KTM EXC 200 real aggressively on the trails. Last weekend, the rear sprocket bent (loose nuts?) and broke part of the hub off as the chain and sprockets locked-up the rear wheel.

Local KTM shop says a replacement hub, along with removing and re-lacing the spokes would cost about as much as a new wheel. I can buy a new Excel wheel with bearings for $300.00.

Problem is, I also have to replace the chain and sprockets and don't have $500 total to spend right now on a repair. Has anyone bought a used wheel (either here or ebay or anywhere) and had good or bad luck with it? Am I better off buying the new wheel in the long run? We plan to keep the bike for many years.

Thank you for your input,

Tom

The risk you run with a used wheel is that if the previous owner ever ran it with loose sprocket bolts, the hub is ruined and the sprocket bolts will never stay tight. Loose sprocket bolts ovalize the holes in the hub and that's unrepairable.

Luckily, your son's bike is a popular model. Therefore, there are lots of them out there that have not been destroyed. You should be able to easily find a used rear wheel for it. When purchasing from ebay or forums, make sure there are plenty of pics of the item so you can tell that it is actually in good shape. If the pics aren't sufficient, ask for more. If the seller refuses, then look elsewhere. I would think you'd be able to get back into the ball game here for around $100.00. on the rear wheel (maybe $125.00). If you can't find something in that price range buy a new one. Also, there are lots of "stores" on ebay by folks who part out whole working bikes. Usually these guys will have the best stuff, but usually costs a little more. I would think with a good day of searching you could easily find something that you'll be more than happy with. I've bought lots of parts this way.

As for the chain & sprocket set, go with steel sprockets & a low-end chain. You can find a steel rear sprocket for this bike for around $25.00. Yes, it weighs more than alum., but will last your son 4X as long for 1/3 the price. Go with a bottom-end, but name brand chain. Lots of catalogues list the tensile strength of each chain. You'll find that some of the the bottom-end chains are somewhere around 7,200 p.s.i. while the upper end chains are only marginally stronger for more than 3X the price. You can pick up a D.I.D. 520 chain for under $65.00. A front sprocket will run you about $20.00

Also check shipping charges. Even some of the ebay "stores" will ship for free if you spend a certain amount. If you can find a good wheel at one of these stores, buy it there.

On the cheap, youu just might be able to pull this of for around $250.00, or close to 1/2 price. Devote anevening to hard-core searching & write down everything you find & where you find it jsut to keep it all straight. A couple of hours searching can save you big.

I'd say that if you go for a used wheel, make sure the price reflects this & also do make totally sure that all's well with it (strip the sprocket etc off if you can).

I have a spare D.I.D. rear wheel off an XR400 here that looks just fine & runs true under no weight but when I put it on the bike it pretzels & half the spokes go loose, if I wanted to I could put it on Ebay & make a quick buck off it as it looks just fine but it's really buggered.

That said, there are plenty of genuine people out there selling good used stuff & as MXR#1 says, there should be plenty available so hopefully you can get a good 'un.