Sign in to follow this  

Proper warmup technique?

Just wondering how you guys let your bikes warm up before you ride. The last couple times I've been out I start her up with the choke on and leave it on for about 15 sec before I take it off to start riding. Then when I get going it coughs and sputters and snaps for a while but will eventually work itself out after about 8-10 mins of riding. Should I be letting it sit longer with the choke on before I start riding it? After all the nastyness stops it goes like a bat out of hell and is very responsive, so I'm thinking my jetting is OK and it's my warmup procedure.

Also, for those of you who saw my last thread, I've got my starting dialed now. No more kick-stand-starting for me :D . Whoever on that thread said to get it to TDC before trying to start it gets good gas when I find it. I remember reading that after installing the auto-decomp cam you can just flip out the starter and kick not having to worry about finding TDC. Well, not so much. Thanks for the help guys.:)

I start mine up with the choke on and leave it on just long enough for it to idle with out the choke. This varies time wise depending on how warm it is. Then I let it idle for a few minutes with the choke off to get up to temp. This seems to work for me but your mileage may vary.

I to, get the bike off of choke as soon as I can. Then I take it easy, just motoring about for a few minutes to get everything up to temp before I am hard on the throttle.

Like everyone else, I start mine with the choke, let it on for a second or two and let it idle a little. After that I slowly vary the rpms. Once it starts getting close to operating temperature I give it a few healty revs and make sure the throttle response is good. Then I do my usual slow lap to check the track and let the bike fully come up to temperature.

I never need a choke, 'cept a few times in the winter. id let it idle for a minute while I got my gloves and helmet on, take it easy for another couple of minutes and then go

Choke on. Idle at higher rpm, obviously, for about a minute. Choke off. Ride slowly for a few minutes.

Put goggles on and spend too much time making sure the strap is lined up perfectly straight (always start bike next to truck window so I can view the goods). Then bury my elbow into the ribs until I hear the beautiful "pop pop pop" of the rev limiter. Hit rear brake and come to sliding stop. Take off open face helmet and unzip Evel Knievel jacket.

*don't pay attention to the last paragraph: my 10 year old nephew gave me a sip of his fruity sugar drink and I'm not myself.

Choke on. Idle at higher rpm, obviously, for about a minute. Choke off. Ride slowly for a few minutes.

Put goggles on and spend too much time making sure the strap is lined up perfectly straight (always start bike next to truck window so I can view the goods). Then bury my elbow into the ribs until I hear the beautiful "pop pop pop" of the rev limiter. Hit rear brake and come to sliding stop. Take off open face helmet and unzip Evel Knievel jacket.

*don't pay attention to the last paragraph: my 10 year old nephew gave me a sip of his fruity sugar drink and I'm not myself.

LMAO this is classic!!!!!

Ok thanks guys. Next time I'm out I'll let it idle for a longer time and see what happens. I don't wanna leave the choke on too long otherwise it might foul the plug, which is a biotch to change.

You won't foul a plug. I leave my choke on until my bike starts sputtering then I shut it off. I dont take off until I feel that the top of my radiator is warm.

Many guys think the bike is warm after a minute or two, I have let the bike idle for 3 min, then gave it a few blips of the throttle, then drained the oil to change it, and the oil was only slightly warm !! It takes a while for the oil to get up to temp

i was told by a moto mechanic 10 mins of idle with no choke and its ready to for a full fang

Many guys think the bike is warm after a minute or two, I have let the bike idle for 3 min, then gave it a few blips of the throttle, then drained the oil to change it, and the oil was only slightly warm !! It takes a while for the oil to get up to temp

It takes approx. 5 minutes for a bike to fully reach operation temperature. Feel the top of the radiator when it is hot to the touch, ususally a good indicator that you're at operating temp.

I start my bike and let it idle while putting on gloves, chest, protector, helmet, etc. Ride up to the line and allow it idle a few more minutes. A good test is if you have a glove on, touch the top of the radiator for a few seconds and then touch your cheek. If it feels hot, your ready to go.

I use my choke to start mine then I turn it off and let it run while I get changed into my riding gear.

I ride a honda but I thought I would chime in. I start mine with out the choke unless it is cold outside. I let it idle about 20 seconds then pull the clutch in and out a few time to circulate oil through the clutch plates...I then put it in gear and go. My radiator is too hot to touch with in 20 seconds of a cold start. I am on a CRF250X. Before eveyone hates on me for being a Honda rider, I do own a Yamaha product. I have a Raptor 700.

I ride a honda but I thought I would chime in. I start mine with out the choke unless it is cold outside. I let it idle about 20 seconds then pull the clutch in and out a few time to circulate oil through the clutch plates...I then put it in gear and go. My radiator is too hot to touch with in 20 seconds of a cold start. I am on a CRF250X. Before eveyone hates on me for being a Honda rider, I do own a Yamaha product. I have a Raptor 700.

So let me get this straight, you ride a honda AND a quad? Dam ur definetly in the wrong forum. Jk, I just got a yzf myself, coming from an x. Thats a good idea about engaging the clutch to move the oil through the plates, will do next time:thumbsup:

haha, thats the honda forum that hates people, I have 3 bad gas things with the biggest bs reasons one being "rude comment" for

I do have an hour meter on my bike, it says 30 right now, did say 24 before last night, but I like to have fun.

they were just giving me bad gas on every post just cause I ride a yamaha, or rode.

I go riding with someone with a 250X and it boils over quick, the coolant catch bottle is quite the nice piece on that bike, and his engine runs hot as well. in glamis he has to wait sometimes after big hills.

I have only once had my CRF boil over....It didnt boil onto the ground but it did make a bunch of girggling and boil noises after I shut it off after running it particularly hard than shutting it down. I just restarted it and rode it up and down my street at mid throttle light load to get some air over the radiators...I have been told that sitting still most dirtbikes will over heat idling in less than 10 minutes. That is assuming you dont have an electric fan.

I know some people are quick to fling the bad gas around quick. I dont give bad gas to people because I dont agree with them...The only way I give bad gas is if someone is being particularly rude or starting trouble. Spirited discussions about which brand are better are fun and not to be taken too seriously.

• Like 1

It takes approx. 5 minutes for a bike to fully reach operation temperature. Feel the top of the radiator when it is hot to the touch, ususally a good indicator that you're at operating temp.

The radiators heat up much quicker than the oil, and unfortunately its the oil which lubricates not the water. Any mechanic will tell you the worst thing for any internal combustion engine is cold start up. After 5 min the water is up to temp but the oil is still relatively cold, next time you change oil let it idle for 5 min and drain the oil and feel it.....you will be suprised