Sign in to follow this  

Wheelie info please

I searched but did not find. Woe be to us all!

I have never owned a bike I was comfortable trying to loft the front wheel. The last streetbike I rode prior to buying the SM was an R6.

I know there is a vast difference in the two bikes, but I really struggle to get the front wheel up. The R6 was a twist away from one wheel.

Is there a technique to this? I have to really rev the bike and drop the clutch, and at this stage I am not comfortable even practicing in a parking lot. I just feel that it should be less of a struggle on the SM.

I feel like maybe I just need some input. The bike has a full FMF Ti Powerbomb, 3x3, DJ jet, and runs pretty strong. I've got some tuning issues to sort out, a mild surge at part throttle, but I can't believe this would cost low end torque problems.

I'm a little old to be starting to learn, but any help would be appreciated

Howard

It is probably because you have a drz-400. Quite a bit less power than an R6 which you already knew. Are you a big guy? That could be part of it too. Those are heavy bikes and they don't really have a ton of power to lift the wheel but there is a way to do it, like you said popping the clutch, but you have to time it right and there is some lifting of the hadlebars and weight transfer to deal with. The main thing is you need to anticipate what the bike will do, and definitely make sure you are adequately protected from a plethera of injuries caused by wheelies. Good luck!

Sit back on the seat, in either 1st or 2nd gear, rev it up to upper half of the RPM range, chop the throttle, then don't be afraid to twist it open while pulling back on the bars. I think you're being timid with the throttle after having ridden an R6, and I don't blame you. The wheel will come up easily in 1st or 2nd, even bone stock. Grab a fist-full.

The other technique obviously is to clutch it up.

First... put on all of your safety gear... and make sure your in a private area with no cars. Expect to crash... you will scrape up your bike learning.

then get rolling along in second gear just off idle, twist the throttle and give the bars a tug...it will come right up.

Learn to use the rear brake to control the amount of loft.

I Never could get used to wheelie with the Twist but after i installed the TRX-420 Thumb throttle along with the YFZ-450 cable... it's a SNAP to control wheelies on my DR650...🙂

• Like 1

I Never could get used to wheelie with the Twist but after i installed the TRX-420 Thumb throttle along with the YFZ-450 cable... it's a SNAP to control wheelies on my DR650...:D

seriously a thumb throttle on a bike????? 🙂

I was having trouble with my stock SM as well but then met a fellow TT'er who road an S and had more experience than me. I could get the tire off the ground but not to the balance point. We went for a ride and he pointed out some things I was doing wrong. I was sitting to far forward. I was back, but not as far as I should have been. Get back as far as you can with feet on the pegs (got to keep rear brake covered). Roll along at a low speed say 20 mph then let off on the gas, once the front end dives then gas it while pulling back. Let your rebound help the process. Found this works in 1st or 2nd and dont ahve to dump the clutch.

Have fun but be safe.

Another thing that will help is to make sure your rear shock preload isn't set too soft. Mine was set way to soft out of the box and adjusting it made the bike handle better, as well as making it easier to loft the front wheel due to less suspension squat during weight transfer.

I had the same problem when when I first got my SM. Mine is all stock, and I'm kind of a big guy at 200lbs. Just go slow in second and rev it up and pop the clutch and the front wheel will come right up. I was used to riding 250 2strokes before I rode this and I thought I would never be able to ride a wheelie on the DRZ. But once you get it up there, it's easier to keep the balance point.

You have got to be kidding. My drz won't pull the wheel?

This bike, especially with the mods that you have done will 1st gear roll on wheelie (and probably 2nd as well) without even the slightest problem.

The rev it up and dump the clutch procedure, as was mentioned, will land your ass on the ground, looped out!

With this much power, doesn't matter where you sit on the seat.

You have a tuning problem.

The question you ask , how do I wheelie, means you need much practice. This is something that takes time. Please avoid chopping the throttle and dumping the clutch.

All that will do is get you into the broken bones club.

Practice wheelies like most of did when we were kids, back to basics, off road...... standing up, going up hills, lifting the wheel over bumps.

Get a real good lesson, be prepared to tap the rear brake.

Wheelies are more about balance and judgement than brute HP.

None the less, I would say your ride is way out of tune.

Get that sorted out first, then you can go for it!

Keeping the wheel in the air is more the challenge !!!

some of us like me was not born with the wheely jeen

I have over 13,000 miles on my SM and the wheeleys come easyer the more you try them

but I still cant find the BP or even dair shifting to keep it going

so I'm just trying to say that some of us are not ment to do wheelys

I'm 6 ft 210lbs.....400S 15/44 tooth sprockets, 3x3, fmf exhaust, jet kit.....no clutch necessary just throttle. 1st can't keep the wheel on the ground, 2nd wheelies easily, 3rd is little more challenging but do-able. 3rd is the only gear I really need to get the sweet spot (throttle,seating position and handle bar-pull). 1-2nd almost does it by itself.

Its all about practice and being willing to push yourself past your comfort zone. Keep trying and sooner or later you will find what method works well for you. Some riders clutch the bike up (in gear, rolling, engine near bottom of powerband, twist throttle, tap the clutch... hold on) others are more comfortable sitting down and powering the front wheel up along with a tug on the bars... Just gear up, find a place to practice where you wont be bothered and you wont be bothering anyone else, and give 'er!

Here is my sit down/pull back/power up method at work... taken yesterday before i rode to work

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=64426

Another thing to keep in mind is that if you're using just power to bring the front end up you are building a good bit of speed as well. So if things do go wrong the consequences will probably be worse. I fell into this trap for a little while myself, but could actually get a pretty decent wheelie that way. Lately though, I've been going back to clutching them up because the front snatches right up instead of slowly lofting it's way up to balance point. Whichever way you decide is right for you just be careful, take it slowly, and cover that rear brake and you should do fine.

1. practice snaping the front wheel up in first, just cruse in 1st chop the gas and pin it. repeat untill you can consistanly preform the act.

2. Once you master step one, try to get the bike higher in the air to use less throttle and more balance to keep you up, try to extend the amount you can ride a wheely in first without reving the bike out, very similer to those long ass moutain bike wheelies if you know what I mean. More balance less engine. (Do not' exceed your comfort zone there is no need to that's how people get hurt, let your skill slowly catch up to you).

3. Once your comforable and you improved air time with 1st, just power shift the bike into second gear while your at a low-mid RPM wheely and it should carry the whole deal into another gear. Make sure if your new to this your not at 12o'clock or near the balance point, you don't know how another gear will effect your balance and height because your used to first. Just do the shift with little or no gas and slowly keep increasing the throttle till it holds the wheelie. Once you have this step and you can master the transition from 1st to 2nd your on you way to 5 gear wheelies. Balance, less speed, more airtime. Save your power to increase the lenth of the wheelie don't waste it on pining it to keep it up, let physics do the work.

5. By now your pretty much golden, what you know now should take you into mid 4th no issue. This is where you need some balls. To ride 4th out and into riding 5th out you pretty much need to be just below 12'oclock or the balance point, it's the same concept as I just said a step up but now it's further than your comfort zone and once you can know the bike enough to get it high enough where you won't exced the balance point but high enough to use the least amount of throttle you can, your golden! Bring on the quater mile wheelies

KEEP YOUR FOOT ON THE REAR BRAKE

seriously a thumb throttle on a bike????? 🙂

HA HA .. Yup ! iv'e been on ATV-ATC's all my life and it seems i can control wheelies alot better.. 2nd thru 4th... doing about 55 mph..

i had one on my YZ250 and the CR500 also.. :D

Yeah its all about balance and position. My sotck 01 s i can power it up in 1st and 2nd. 1st gear about 17 or 18 mph indicated and then i just roll on and off then twist it hard, that along with a little tug will stand her up every time. 2nd gear about 25-28 mph same procedure but a little more body movement and she will stand up again.

The drz doesnt have a ton of power but i am finding myself getting comfortable with it and i can ride a nice wheelie through 3rd. Attempted my first 4th shift today and she stayed up a little bit but sat back down, i still need work to ride it out through 5th. Once you get that balance point its all cake its just getting yourself comfortable. Always, ALWAYS cover that rear brake though its your lifeline it will sit you down in an instant! And start small loft it up easily get comfortable, then ride it in first just use the throttle to keep a consistant speed and find where you are comfortable. eventually you will get to where you can shift and keep the wheel up.

No as far as clutching it up goes, i cant figure it out to save my life. I have watched people do it and i have read how to do it but it just doesnt click with me yet. I feel uncomfortable doing it. Most people say its easier but i just cant get it!

I Never could get used to wheelie with the Twist but after i installed the TRX-420 Thumb throttle along with the YFZ-450 cable... it's a SNAP to control wheelies on my DR650...:worthy:

That could be the most getto'est thing ive ever heard......🙂

gas for you on that conversion...... lol :D

HA HA .. Yup ! iv'e been on ATV-ATC's all my life and it seems i can control wheelies alot better.. 2nd thru 4th... doing about 55 mph..

i had one on my YZ250 and the CR500 also.. :D

I just might pay money (a little) to see a guy rip on a CR500 with a thumber!🙂