MXTUNER....SCOTTS INSTALL

Mark, Here are the photos of my installation of the Scotts Tripple Clamp and Steering Dampner today.

10504411-458a-02000180-.jpg

10504385-c82d-02000180-.jpg

10504404-62ce-02000180-.jpg

10504423-6ef2-02000180-.jpg

10504425-dd7b-02000180-.jpg

10504393-5d13-02000180-.jpg

10504416-627f-02000180-.jpg

Only waiting now for the Dominator Grips I ordered from MX South. They Should arrive Monday.I Greatly Appreciate your help in aquiring the dampner. Cant wait to try it out.

Bonzai ?

Yamakaze,

Congrats on your latest purchase. :D I installed the same package on my 2001 YZ about a month ago and am very pleased. My only hiccup was that on my first ride the clamp-on ring came off???? I had to take it all apart to reinstall and tighten the thing again and am now very pleased. Now, the fun starts when you go riding with your buddies. Mine are jealous of the new toy and like to crank the adjustment down while I am not looking ? Not a problem until you hit the first turn! My trick is to keep an eye on the indicator position as a check.

Good luck and keep roostin',

Brian

Originally posted by MX Tuner:

Glad it worked out. Good to see you checked (and corrected) the steering stops. Most people don't and then complain if the damper gets damaged.

I’ve checked this on my ’00 and ’01 YZF, and total steering travel is (just) inside total damper travel. It looks like Kaze added some material to his steering stop?? I’m a little mystified as I’ve had room to spare on both my bikes. Am I missing something?? Do I need to recheck this?

I’ve had my damper for almost three years and ran it on both my 426s, surely I would’ve broken something by now…

From what I've seen, the steering stop must be the most variable part they make on the bike. Some are fine and some need to have a good bit of meterial added. This is on the same modle bike. And it isn't just Yamaha. I've installed a lot of dampers on XR 400's and they're the same way. Some are fine and some need to get a little bit welded on.

The vane inside a Scotts damper is a pretty stout piece of steel. It takes a lot to damage one. Even if your stock steering stops are not extended far enough, you may never damage the damper. But in a nasty cartwheel type crash, if the stop isn't right, it can bend the vane and/or damage the body.