Sign in to follow this  

Changing 2004 YZ250 Fork Springs

So I finally got some new fork springs as the stock one's were far to soft. Got a killer deal on them, Thanks Race Tech!

Anyway I'm going to put them in myself, however in reading the instructions and on the box it says that I need to put spacers in the bottom. What I wanted to do was just pull the caps off, push the springs out from the bottom and pull them out and just drop in the new ones. So my question is, if the springs are the same length as the stockers do I really need to insert spacers at the bottom and how do I know how many to put in there?

You have the AOSS forks, yes? I don't think you can do that. If I remember right you need a 14mm allen to loosen the nut at the bottom of the fork. This releases the inner chamber so you can pull out the spring.

From what I understand from asking a similar question the spacers are for pre load. Keeps the forks at the right place in the stroke when bike is holding its own weight. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong...

I could be completely wrong here but I thought the 04' fork was similar to the 03', my springs came out the top, and the pre load washers if needed went on top also. Anyone know for sure? You might want to get a manual.

04-05 got the 48mm AOSS forks. 96-03 have the 46mm fork.

AOSS stands for Air Oil Separation System or twin chambers. The 46mm 03 forks did not have an inner/outer chamber.

Josh I knew the the 04' was larger, but didn't think the AOSS came untill 05'. Again I could be wrong. If you can, take a look at the parts fiche for both, and let us know what you make of it. To me the 04' looks different than the 05'??

I think that the 04 got the 48mm forks and the 05 got the AOSS forks.

Yeah I talked to my buddy at Race Tech and got it all taken care of. I just pushed the bottom up after I loosened the cap and the spring pops out. Then loosen the collar and spring pulls right out. Just don't let go of that rod because it will disappear on you in a second. LOL. But just take off the front wheel and it makes everythign easier.

I lost a bit of oil but other than that everything went smoothly. New springs were the same size as the original so they didn't need any spacing.

I'll let you know how it handles after Saturday. Thanks for the input guys.

Good for you! Yamaha had to go and make it confusing with 4 different forks in 4 years.