Idle ??

I've got an 02 yz250f and for sometime now the idle has been sort of wierd.

The bike starts fine and is running good now that I adjusted the timing, but it always idles very high. I've messed around with the idle screw but can't seem to get the idle to drop down.

While idleing high I'll let the clutch out a smidge and like normal the rpms will drop way down (which seems like a much better idle range) and if i pull the clutch back in quickly it will remain idle at the lower rpm range, but thats the only way I have been able to get it idle at what I think is a good rpm range for the idle.

When I'm riding and come to stop it idles high and have to slightly let clutch out and pull it back in to get it to idle lower.

I have no clue why its doing this. ? I've cleaned the carb out and still no change and i have no other performance issues just that wierd idle.

Any thoughts??

I would also check and confirm you have slack in both throttle cables. Look at the throttle wheel on the carb, gently work the throttle. You should see the inners move slightly before the wheel moves

dumb question here what are inners because i have this problem too..while im riding i let off the gas and my motor trys to keep going ...not a good feeling :D:worthy:?

dumb question here what are inners because i have this problem too..while im riding i let off the gas and my motor trys to keep going ...not a good feeling :D:worthy:?

With the cover off of the side of the carb where the throttle cables go in, you will be able to see the inner calbes of the throttle cables. They go around the throttle wheel. There must be a little bit of slack in them. Twising the throttle back and forth slightly, you will see these move. They should move slightly before the throttle wheel moves. If not, near the throttle grip on the bars, inside of a rubber protector is an adjuster. Be sure to do theses tests with the bars turned left, then right, there should be no change on the freeplay.