Sign in to follow this  

Help me plz

so i just got my crf250r and i can start it first kick if its the first time starting it in a day, then i can ride for 30 min or so and shut it off for 5 or 10 min and try to start it again and it wont. i can bumpstart it tho. idk if it could be the sparkplug or wut cuz it hadnt been ridden for about a month before i bought it.

have any ideas of wut it could be?

1) set your fuel screw properly - with the bike warm, turn it in (up into carb/leaner) until the bike idles down/dies, then turn it out (richer) until the bike idles the highest and crispest, test by blipping the throttle. You have to have a good ear for that, don't wanna go too rich.

2) Valve clearances, are they correct? .004" - .005" for intakes and .008" for exhaust are how I run them.

--Factory spec for exhaust is .011" +/- .001" -- And intakes they specify that they can be .001" looser than I have said (.004" - .006"). But with the valves too loose you have too much valve train noise.

3) Spark plug, check its condition, it could use replacing. Use the proper NGK iridium plug, they are not cheap... (the plugs usually last a really, really long time). -- Before taking it out, make sure you blow out around it with compressed air to make sure its clean. And when you put it back in thread it in "by hand" with the socket so it doesn't cross thread, then tighten, do not over do it. Its only 12 ft lbs. Use a torque wrench if you have it.

4) starting procedure, rotate motor slowly till you hear a click, thats the decompressor and you are close to TDC. No gas, hot start and give it good strong kicks...

5) How hot is the bike when it won't re start? I know if my bike is super hot it may be harder to start. Or if you have flamed out or crashed on a hill, etc. It can be really hard to start.

when you start it hot you have to make sure that you pull in the hot start and kick it without giving it any gas at all. If you give it gas starting is is extremely difficult. Make sure that you give it all you got when you kick it

I find that if you give it the about 1/8 to about 1/4 throttle when its hot its starts first kick but that could be just my bike :)