Sign in to follow this  

250 lbs/5-9" (aka "big" guy) newbie question

250#, 5-9"...new to riding street, and long time since dirt bike days as a kid.

38 yrs old(*dammit*) and looking to inject some fun into daily life....

been looking and trying to decide between the DR650 and the DRZ 400...

hoping the peanut gallery can help me out in the decision....:)

questions i have....

1)will the 400 get my arse up to speed? mods aside i mean....

2)i primarily will be on roads and freeways in SoCal...hoping to make a few runs to the local deserts too....fire roads etc. hoping part of the fun will be finding them!

3)how much off road potential does the 400SM have? seeing what they do on the X-Games, i would think some potential...or are they freaks, and normals don't go too far off the roads with 'em?

4)is buying a used with a few thousand miles on it worth buying when a new one is only a 1000 or more dollars with warranty, new... etc?

just trying to make sense of it all....

taking the MSF class tomorrow, so getting itchy....

blind...dreamt of riding last night....:D

(*also, open to other options, but the finance dept.(*wife) has only authorized this range for new bike....already have a car that is used...a 1970 Plymouth Valiant.)

I personally think SoCal freeways will necessitate the 650. If it weren't for the freeway riding I'd say get the 400. You can ride a 650 on dirt roads and wide two track trails. Hell, you can single track the 650 too but you'll be exhausted at the end of the ride - no doubt (heavy bike).

If you're gonna get a SM you clearly need to buy dirt wheels for serious dirt work. I had a 400E for off-road and liked it save for single track trail work where it felt too heavy/top heavy to dance between the tight trees. The motor is enough for a 250 pounder.

well as the itch is getting more and more, uh itchy?:D i found myself at a local "stealership" asking about the new '09 DRZ 400...they didn't have the DR650 in stock, but it'll be here in a few weeks(*mid sept.) but seeing the 400 was something, so i was curious....

the guy seemed nice enough, but i dunno, i felt pressured to go the 400 route...was it b/c of no 650? or did he really think the 400 worked for me??

i asked about the out the door price on the 09 DR-Z 400....including "set-up", taxes, etc. ....it was.......

wait for it.....

$7800.:ride:

am i thinking this is a crazy big number???

didn't run away but regretted giving him any info about me....

so as i was curious, and kinda....... :worthy: i called another shop...

plenty of 08's and a 650 as well....think i will be seeing him soon. didn't wanna talk numbers on the phone, but i think he'll be more "accepting" to me....

blind, still reeling...and dammit....:)

Don't give into the stealership as your fix to your itch. Patience Daniel-San. Get one used. The economy in the tank works to your favor. You can find one used and save some bones. Many guys with late model low miles. You'll have to take time off work to retrieve this crazy deal no doubt.:D Craigslist (search within 1-200 miles even :)), eBay, Cycletrader to name the most prominent deals out there.

The 400 will be better if you plan to do any dirt riding whatsoever. The 650 looks like a big bloated tank of a bike that can theoretically be ridden off road, but looks better for a comfortable cruiser

Both of these bikes are powerful enough that your weight will not be a factor , as long as 250 is your real weight and not your "drivers license weight"

5 years ago i weighed 280 and moto-x'ed a YZ250-- it takes a practiced blend of clutch and whiskey throttle to clear even modest tabletops when you have a KoolAid man physique -- lol but the bike was plenty powerful even for me (thankfully i lost weight - my shocks have been grateful)

funny you chimed in DMC,

i was just making a "bump" update about the choices i got going...

finished the MSF class yesterday:ride:(*got to ride the DR200), and talked to the shop on Sat. about where i feel i would be riding....

kinda still taking Shrub's advice in as well(*the 650 is good on highways), and with the experience of the 200(*while i know only in parking lot, supervised, etc.) was that i could get into PLENTY of trouble on the 400...

for me it's a commuter(*10-12 miles freeeway) and a pleasure ride....i think the time(*"rush" hours) will mean the freeway speeds won't be wide open...

when i do go to the trails/desert i CAN get there by bike OR trailer...prolly more trailer for most "off road ride trips"....so high mileage road only trips i think will be less likely....(*mostly b/c kids/wife, time etc.)

so we got to talking about the 400....and helmet, boot, jacket.....

talked to the wife, who smartly picked this weekend to escape with the kiddos..., and got the "financial" talk....seems we aren't as rich as i think we are....she's knows the books better....

but it looks like it'd be around 7G OTD....:D(*def less, no neg so far...but it's new from the shop....poss thrown in some of it..:))

her:"that's a lot of money for something only you can use"

me:":excuseme: "

now i am thinking.....def better than the 7800, bike only offer i got last week...but should i, also good advice from Shrub, buy it used??...

from my "logic" i think it's about 2G less to get an '06 with 1500 miles(*craigslist price....could be lower OBO....)

it's not my first(*or second) color choice, no warranty, and all...

but it's already got it's scratches...and broken in, etc.....

all thoughts greatly appreciated....

blind

Those Suzuki DR's are reliable as a stone --- if a 2 year old bike only has a few scratches and nothing is dented (and the shock and forks don't leak) -- then saving money is always good. As far as a warranty, idk - being a long time MX guy, i've never really had a bike with a warranty and its worked out ok --- take that back, my new YZF has a 30 day warranty- not much breaks on a mild 4 stroke anymore (mild is a relative term-- there is still quite a bit of power there)

1500 miles does not sound like a lot for a 2 year old bike at all

I like the idea of trailering the things to any "real dirt rides" too -- but mainly because after riding in the dirt for 2 hours, i would be afraid i would be too exhausted to concentrate while riding home

I like the idea of trailering the things to any "real dirt rides" too -- but mainly because after riding in the dirt for 2 hours, i would be afraid i would be too exhausted to concentrate while riding home

Amen to that. I usually trail ride hard for 4-6 hours and I COLLAPSE once I hit the soft cushy seat of my truck to drive home. Thank god for cruise control and power steering!!!👍

Though spying a KLR650 in the parking lot today I could imagine taking long casual non-race pace rides down hundreds of miles of logging roads and still ride it back home. It's all about where/how you ride and the energy you expend doing so.

okay, so the saga continues...just looked at a 01 DRZ400 with just over 2600 miles on it...desert tank, aftermarket seat and pipe(*lbz maybe?) and extra renthal bars included....

started up on second button, engine was cold to the touch....

he rode it for 600 miles on an enduro ride(*had to buy it for a plated bike...), then washed it and put it away....

cost $2500(*same as he bought it...).....does it sound as good as i am feeling it was???

kinda itching to get a bike, and this would be 1/3-1/2 the cost....including gear.

BUT i am terrible at decisions, i seem to hate making a "wrong" choice...

but i ask the pundits....

can i go wrong on this???👍

blind, itchy.

P.S. he had a few other bikes....and a LOT of toys...

quote: "as you can see i don't really "need" the money, it's just taking up room in my garage.."

also, app. NOT negotiable....since, you know, doesn't need the cash NOW....

welp, seems as tho this saga has come to bear fruit.

as of today, i am the proud owner of a 08 DRZ 400!!!!:busted::worthy:

might have paid a little more than i wanted to, but got gear as well....

pretty damn happy...

took it out for 1st run. my first "legal" trip on the streets as well btw.👍

was so stoked.

hard to describe it, as cliche as it sounds.....i was free.:blah:(*although admittedly it did remind me of my youth riding days....but you know what i mean....)

so i bid this thread farewell, and will be seeing you all in DRZ 400 forum.

also, will keep on viewing general....

blind thinks he did okay....and appreciates ALL the advice....and the forums all together....they rock!