Sign in to follow this  

YZ250F upgrades

Just like any bike... Pipe, cams, porting, high comp. piston, head work, etc.

Most people like to start with a pipe first.

i'm going to say get a sidewinder set up, there good stuff is guaranteed for life, lowers drive train loss, and they look good. power everywhere, lowers weight, never need a new sprocket, chain, chainwheel again for that bike

sorry, didn't think I was being rude or anything, was kinda laughing when I said it outloud, just cause i'm never serious, and it doesn't ever seem to translate over into type very well. I meant it in a joking way, like, no way, but obviously it meant of course kinda thing

Always start with suspension and then a close second MX school.

After you are in the A class you can worry about motor mods.

+1. This is very, very good advice.

One other thing that I forgot to mention is get you Jetting dialed in. A bike with poor jetting will be down on power.

Get your controls set up like you want them, like new bars, levers, grips. Get some new tires, I like kenda's. Then get your suspension done, don't get a pipe, I really like the stock pipe on this bike.

Fix the bog, rejet then take some lessons!

It may be due for a set of rings and a valve adjustment.

My son rides a bone stock '07 and I love it when he spanks the guys with head work, cams, $800 Ti/mega bomb systems and cool graphics. He spanks me when I ride my smoker or 450. A well maintained 250F goes like the dickens if you can ride it.

I like to get a bike set up for me, ergonomically. It amazes me when I buy a bike or ride someone elses how different they all are. Bar angle, lever angle, shifter and brake pedal height. Also what people with put up with, bent bars, bent levers, cables that hang up, brakes that drag or don't work, worn out chains and sprockets. Once I get the bike comfortable for me, then I can concentrate on riding it. I usually spend an hour or so changing stuff and testing to see how it works. Upgrades, new tall soft seat foam under the stock cover. I'm 6'1" and old and like to sit more than stand. 1" bar risers. My son's bike has Applied tripple clamps and it handles noticably better, lighter feel at the bars. His is 02, mine is 03. Like above, pipes make a huge difference on the Yam. We both got Dr. D, but then had to deal with the spark arrestor issue so we could ride national forrests, that may be a consideration for you. I like little details too. I added a catch bottle overflow, made from a shampoo bottle, and hung it on the left side of the rad inside the shroud. Also added a bicycle odo so I could tell how far I'd ridden, not a consideration for racers, but good to know when its time to head for the gas stop. Your 06 already has a high compression piston. My buddy likes to run 110 race gas in his, says it gives better performance. I couldn't tell in mine. I have run 87 but prefer 93 octane. Best thing you can do is once its setup to your liking is to practice with it, and get the suspension set up for your weight and riding style. My tuner is 20 min from my house, and its the best $$ I've spent. The bike has A LOT of capability and it takes tallent to use all of it. Throw in a little weight training and running to keep in shape, and you'll be hard to beat.

you have to run high octane race fuel with oxy added to it and richer jets to feel the power, but its there. otherwise its just detonation protection really

zip ty racing will modify your carb to there race specs and say it fixes the bog.

suspension being set up... can't really chime in on that(I set my bikes suspension up out in the desert, getting it to handle how I like it with the clickers) but it does make it so much easier to go faster when bumps don't affect you.

power wise, it can lower your track times, going to fast into a corner, can't slow down fast enough, over shot jumps(SUCKS!!! big time).

so depending on your willingness with lightining up your wallet, what your going to be doing 90% of the time, and yes even your personality. there are really a million and one different things you can do... a million and one :)

I like to get a bike set up for me, ergonomically. It amazes me when I buy a bike or ride someone elses how different they all are. Bar angle, lever angle, shifter and brake pedal height. Also what people with put up with, bent bars, bent levers, cables that hang up, brakes that drag or don't work, worn out chains and sprockets. Once I get the bike comfortable for me, then I can concentrate on riding it. I usually spend an hour or so changing stuff and testing to see how it works. Upgrades, new tall soft seat foam under the stock cover. I'm 6'1" and old and like to sit more than stand. 1" bar risers. My son's bike has Applied tripple clamps and it handles noticably better, lighter feel at the bars. His is 02, mine is 03. Like above, pipes make a huge difference on the Yam. We both got Dr. D, but then had to deal with the spark arrestor issue so we could ride national forrests, that may be a consideration for you. I like little details too. I added a catch bottle overflow, made from a shampoo bottle, and hung it on the left side of the rad inside the shroud. Also added a bicycle odo so I could tell how far I'd ridden, not a consideration for racers, but good to know when its time to head for the gas stop. Your 06 already has a high compression piston. My buddy likes to run 110 race gas in his, says it gives better performance. I couldn't tell in mine. I have run 87 but prefer 93 octane. Best thing you can do is once its setup to your liking is to practice with it, and get the suspension set up for your weight and riding style. My tuner is 20 min from my house, and its the best $$ I've spent. The bike has A LOT of capability and it takes tallent to use all of it. Throw in a little weight training and running to keep in shape, and you'll be hard to beat.

Fix the bog, rejet then take some lessons!

It may be due for a set of rings and a valve adjustment.

My son rides a bone stock '07 and I love it when he spanks the guys with head work, cams, $800 Ti/mega bomb systems and cool graphics. He spanks me when I ride my smoker or 450. A well maintained 250F goes like the dickens if you can ride it.

by fix the bog you mean? Every once in a while my yzf will give an ever so slight hesitation. I have rejetted it and with the pipe it very rarely does it. Compared to some other yzf's I've ridden it just doesn't have the snap right off the bottom end, so I may play with the jetting a little more.