Sign in to follow this  

looking for loop ideas for Gifford

We're hitting the giff at the end of the week, and looking for a couple of good loop ideas. I've done parts of Boundary/Council Lake, and have ridden all around Blue Lake/Hamilton Butte etc., but would really like to do Juniper, but would like to avoid the super hairy uphill switchbacks and double diamond stuff if possible.. we are all experienced riders, but we're in the fiftiesh + range (one is in his sixties) so we'd probably need to keep it around 40-50 miles as well (and that's WITH oxygen :))

so if you were leaving from the Blue Lake Creek campground, and on plated dirt bikes, what would you recommend for a good Juniper loop; and/or possibly a loop down in the High Lakes area

thanks all

Take road 23 to 263 trail, that to 261, north on 261 to 294 to the road. Take a left on the road go to the pavement and go right. hit 270 right there and back to blue lake. About 40-50 miles and not a lot of hard stuff. You will be going down devils staircase which is not that hard.

BTW, i have not ridden 263 or 261 south of Devils so i can;t guarantee it will be open. I will be leading some Cali boys around Gifford this weekend so if you see a new TXC husky with trails tires front and rear that's me. Say hi.

347554436_sDdQt-L.jpg

excellent info.. thanks Ride.. that was the info I was hoping for.. for the exact route I was thinking of taking.. hoping we can make it through.. should we bring our saws?

I take it Devil's Staircase is on the 294?

excellent info.. thanks Ride.. that was the info I was hoping for.. for the exact route I was thinking of taking.. hoping we can make it through.. should we bring our saws?

I take it Devil's Staircase is on the 294?

Devils staircase is on the 261 between Sunrise peak and Juniper peak. Last I heard the 261 is completely clear. The 263 has a difficult spot or two and I have not heard if it is clear or not.

Later,

Devils staircase is on the 261 between Sunrise peak and Juniper peak. Last I heard the 261 is completely clear. The 263 has a difficult spot or two and I have not heard if it is clear or not.

Later,

I've ridden down 263 from boundary/261.. so at least I'll know what I'm in for.. if I recall, the switch back right at the top was a about the most wicked - but I'm not to proud to walk it :)

I've ridden down 263 from boundary/261.. so at least I'll know what I'm in for.. if I recall, the switch back right at the top was a about the most wicked - but I'm not to proud to walk it :)

263 has one switchback that can be a challenge but not a big deal. Fun trail IMHO.

263 has one switchback that can be a challenge but not a big deal. Fun trail IMHO.

your challenge is my nightmare :)

not really, but only been doing this goat trail stuff for a couple of years.. southern cal doesn't have stuff like this

but I ain't afraid to try just about any trail at least once

263 was cleared this week by the ORV trail crew. Since this route would be partially on the road anyway, consider riding all the way up to Council lake and riding trail 1 to Juniper Ridge. Saves wear and tear on the 263 and riding across the creek, possibly getting wet feet right at the start. If you park near Adams Fork, try the 5601 road, practically a trail and more fun than the 23 road. Dualsport bikes required.