Sign in to follow this  

Scraping noise coming from chain area?

I just purchased a 2008 DR 650. The wife and I went out for a ride last night and we heard a scraping (grinding) noise coming from the rear of the bike.It isn't a constant noise more like every revolution when the chain hits a certain spot? I came home and Adj the chain and lubed (was a Little loose). I have not taken off the top (front) chain roller. I haven't had a chance to ride it yet after the Adj. The bike has 260 miles on the odometer. We are not big people I'm 180 and she's 95lbs. Any thoughts...Please

ck. that both chain adjusters are on same index marks. beyond that,sounds like a possible warranty issue? oh, try a ride solo.is noise gone? if so, maybe the extra load was causing chain to contact chain roller causing your noise.

My 2005 DR650 made alot of chain noise when riding 2 up. Mine had the rear suspension lowered also. Varying the throttle (and thus the tension on the chain) changed the noise.

I would NOT ignore this noise. Several owners have had the top roller break off leaving a coin sized hole in the frame. Many have removed the roller altogether and have not reported any ill effects. I made a modification that reinforced my roller. It made it quiet and the roller is guiding the chain as Suzuki designed. I'm sure it won't break. I posted all the detaila on how to do this reinforcement on ThumperTalk about a month ago. Below is the URL to this thread.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=671359

My bike made a lot of racket from the chain when I first got it also, and I mean a lot. It was just as you describe, a kind of grinding noise. I weigh about 250, and was doing it with just me on the bike. I removed the top roller (took all of two minutes) because of people talking about it getting ripped off, not because I thought it was making the racket. However, when I took the bike for a ride after removing it, that noise was gone.

Thanks for the help. :) I took the top roller off and the noise was gone. Why the he// would Suzuki put that on in the first place.:D