Sign in to follow this  

Kennedy Meadows (Long)

Went to Kennedy Meadows. Was a blast ~ beautiful place to ride! The altitude was about 8,200 feet at camp and bikes ran great.

Nearly all the terrain was single track running through the Sequoia NF. Lots of grade changes, tight twisty trails, switchbacks, rocks… more rocks, boulders, streams, creeks, small rivers, large wide open meadows, deep pine forest, wildflowers, areas filled with aspens, sand, whoops, broken logs, roots, cows leaping out in front of you (yes, cows can leap) and lots of little cliffs/drop-offs to the side. A mixed bag of everything to keep you on your toes! The trails required a lot of concentration and at times, offered little time for looking back to check on the person behind you. This is probably the most challenging riding I’ve done… not only kicked butt (as in fun), but butt-whoppin as in workout and then some.

Getting back to KM was a long and slow drive up a steep grade, then another 20+ miles to the camp area. After touring several camp areas and nearly sandwiching our trailer zigzagging between some trees, we found the campsite Beast had described to secure for a larger group that would be arriving later in the week. My uncle and aunt planned to join us the next day. Night came quickly, it was soo dark... peace and quiet! The stars began popping out (wow, you forget how many there are!). I missed not being able to call my kids to say goodnight (no cell service in KM). This would be the longest I’ve been away from them. But, relished the thought of being alone with my hub for a whole week! :D

Wednesday ~ Our First Day

Had a lazy first morning (maybe a touch of the altitude and no kids waking me up)... :) Gotta love that for a change! My hub made me breakfast (lunch and dinner!!). We had a small meadow behind us filled with pines, tall grass and wildflowers with a little backdrop of some rock formations.

Our Camp

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x164/mxdirtdiva/IMG_1510_2-1.jpg[/img]"]IMG_1510_2-1.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x164/mxdirtdiva/IMG_1514-1.jpg[/img]"]IMG_1514-1.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x164/mxdirtdiva/IMG_1513-1.jpg[/img]"]IMG_1513-1.jpg

Breakfast is served... Chili Egg Puff w/Jack's Salsa ~ YUM!!

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x164/mxdirtdiva/IMG_1519-1.jpg[/img]"]IMG_1519-1.jpg

One of Our Neighbors

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x164/mxdirtdiva/bluejayKm-1.jpg[/img]"]bluejayKm-1.jpg

Did some exploring and hit some trails fairly close to camp ~ definitely not the desert, 2nd and 1st gear, maybe 3rd in a few open spots (but, not for long). Went back to camp grabbed some lunch, laid in the sun (I’m milking this vacation :) ha) and then went back out and did a long stretch of Jackass Creek ~ fun stuff!

Beach Ridge Trail

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x164/mxdirtdiva/IMG_1521.jpg[/img]"]IMG_1521.jpg

~ His :D Mine ~

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x164/mxdirtdiva/IMG_1526.jpg[/img]"]IMG_1526.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x164/mxdirtdiva/IMG_1528.jpg[/img]"]IMG_1528.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x164/mxdirtdiva/IMG_1530_2.jpg[/img]"]IMG_1530_2.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x164/mxdirtdiva/IMG_1533-1.jpg[/img]"]IMG_1533-1.jpg

Somewhere on Jackass Creek Trail

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x164/mxdirtdiva/IMG_1539.jpg[/img]"]IMG_1539.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x164/mxdirtdiva/IMG_1541.jpg[/img]"]IMG_1541.jpg

Thursday ~ An Epic Day!

Beach Ridge Trail, Albanita Trail, Granite/Broder Trail, Monache Meadows, Kern River, Jackass Peak Trail and Jackass Creek Trail (a.k.a. Jack’s-Ass Trail)

My uncle led, I rode mid and my hub was sweep. We rode at least a 38+ mile loop through the trails listed above arriving at the Kern River, then did a return trip through the entire length of Jackass Peak and Jackass Creek Trail. Took about 4 ½ hours round trip, stopping along the way to take pictures, enjoy the scenery and... a few yard sales.

The first half was beautiful ~ well, all of it was. We winded through the forest, hit some fun water crossings, a few select rocky sections, rode through a little aspen forest, danced with some cows up in the meadows (gorgeous area) and even had a few of them leap the trail 15 feet in front of my bike (they have unexpected right of way at all times). I later learned these burly-dudes are owned by Budweiser and are brought up from Olancha for the summer then brought back down the mountain in the winter. We arrived at the Kern River and crossed a small section (even found some deep sand to lay in, lol) and kicked back for a while.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x164/mxdirtdiva/IMG_1543.jpg[/img]"]IMG_1543.jpg

Hub

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x164/mxdirtdiva/IMG_1545.jpg[/img]"]IMG_1545.jpg

My Uncle and I

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x164/mxdirtdiva/IMG_1546.jpg[/img]"]IMG_1546.jpg

I dove in!

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x164/mxdirtdiva/IMG_1548.jpg[/img]"]IMG_1548.jpg

Whoohoo! :)

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x164/mxdirtdiva/IMG_1549.jpg[/img]"]IMG_1549.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x164/mxdirtdiva/IMG_1552dd-2.jpg[/img]"]IMG_1552dd-2.jpg

The ride back from the Kern River was just as fun as the ride up, a little more challenging in a few areas and towards the end... I was toast! :)

About a 1/8 of the way back on Jackass Peak Trail, there was a short section that was a little hairy. I stopped at the base and watched my uncle disappear, as he mountain-goated up the trail. The pitch was steep, the trail was narrow, meandering through nothing but piles of rocks (large ones) with a cliff to the immediate left. When I couldn’t see him anymore, I shut my bike off to see if I could hear him. Nothing. From what I could see, there wasn’t any good line to pick everything was random. I decided to wait for a minute. Figured, if there were something horrific up there my uncle would either signal, or come back down. After a minute, I thought he must have either continued on (maybe it wasn’t that bad??), or worse, maybe he went down!? Either way, I had to go and the longer I took thinking about it, I'd screw up for sure. I looked back at my hub, fired my bike back up (gotta love e-start) and went for it. I kept on a steady pace, I didn’t want to break my momentum. This WAS as nasty as it looked! My bike pitched hard from side to side off the rocks (handling great, I wouldn’t have fair so well on this with my old bike). All I could think about was... there’s no way I'm stopping, I’m not looking at that drop-off :D and I'm not going down on these rocks!! Being a little vertically challenged on my bike is tough and if there’s nothing to grab, chances are, I will go down. There were plenty of rocks to grab, but this was something that once you commit, you don’t want to stop. If I go down, I’m either getting pitched over the edge, or I’m going to be landing on rocks. :worthy:

Midway, I was surprised to catch a glimpse of my uncle, who had obviously walked back down the trail. He was teetering on a rock next to the drop off, flagging me upward. I took this as a good sign, as it added to my confidence knowing he was okay and if there were something worse up ahead, he would’ve stopped me (at least this is what I told myself). I goated on right past him. As I approached the top, there were fewer rocks... I knew had this!! When I reached the top, I backed off my throttle came into a turn and made a sharp right out of the corner. I saw my uncle’s parked up ahead… it was over!! I was sooo winded! There had been plenty (lots) of other rocky sections on these trails, but this was the most challenging so far! My husband came up a few minutes later, pulled up behind me and flipped his goggles off. His face was beaming and soaking in sweat. He just sat there with the biggest grin ever, shaking his head, “YOU did awesome!”

A few shots along Jackass Peak Trail

IMG_1583.jpg

IMG_1581.jpg

IMG_1580.jpg

IMG_1579.jpg

IMG_1578.jpg

Jackass Peak in the background

IMG_1582.jpg

Coming off of Jackass Peak and unto Jackass Creek Trail

IMG_1584_2.jpg

After leaving this point, we ran into more narrow rocky sections, but again nothing close to what we did earlier. I noticed that I was becoming more winded and all three of us were completely out of water. We still had a ways to go to get back to camp. I could feel the fatigue coming on and my riding became sloppier. The trails weren’t that bad, I just couldn’t seem to get my groove going as we winded up and down through the trails.

I came around one corner way too fast and slammed my leg into a rock that was protruding out from the side. I didn’t fall, but that one definitely rattled my cage! :banghead: I shook it off and kept going. I was frustrated with how many little mistakes I was making! :banghead:

Then came another corner, that I took way too fast, misjudged and shot right off the trail like a rocket, launching me right into a thick woody bush and slamming me into huge boulder. I probably could’ve gotten myself out and climbed over my bike, but this had to look hilarious being completely tangled in a bush, slanted, halfway off my bike and pinned up against a boulder! I decided to stay put for a second, so my husband could get the “full-effect” (I couldn’t wait to see the look on his face! :banghead:). He came around the corner and hit his brakes. The look behind those goggles :banghead: … priceless!! He shook his head half-laughing, “What happened?!!?” I couldn’t stop laughing. I said, “You gotta get the camera out, this is so worthy of a pic!” :worthy: He had that overheated I just wanna back to camp look on his face, so getting the camera out wasn’t going to be an option. My hub pulled my bike off me and I climbed out. My spokes were decorated with broken twigs. :banghead: I definitely did something nasty to my right thigh, but decided not to look (just glad it wasn’t a burn).

We continued on at a pretty good pace and I got a little bit of my groove back, but wasn’t even close to being a 100%. We caught back up with my uncle. It seemed like the never-ending trail, like one of those dreams where you’re out of breath and running in place, but going nowhere. The altitude was definitely part of the fatigue-factor!! I just wanted some water!! :banghead:

Near the end, I took one more unexpected dump (the grand finale) “Grand-de-aqua!” This one got me good and on something completely easy. I face planted making a sharp left on a downgrade into a creek crossing. I’m not even sure what happened. :D Thankfully, the ground was soft. My visor completely disappeared, sinking like a shovel into the watery mud (I got my water, careful what you wish for, lol!). My husband rolled up behind me and had to be thinking, What has she done now?!!? :ride: LOL!!! There I was (big yard sale), filet out like a rag doll, face down in the mud. :ride: I started laughing so he would know all was well and rolled over. I felt a sting on my face and said, “I think I’m bleeding.” He looked closer. Yep, I had a nice little cut.

:banghead: Finally, we reached the trailhead that led back to camp! It seemed like eternity to get to this point. WATER!! Three clicks of my ruby boots and I’m home! I got my last burst of energy ~ felt like racehorse bolting back to the stable.

Dubbing This Ride As “Uncle Jack’s-Ass Trail”

I was never so happy to see my trailer (there’s no place like home!) A motrin and beer night back at camp! Remember the guy who gave me quite a scare and a 911 ride after dancing with some barbwire last November in Ocotillo?? This is the same guy, my uncle! Ironic that his name happens to be “Jack.” So, I’m dubbing the return trip from the Kern as, “Uncle Jack’s-Ass Trail,” since I rarely caught a glimpse of his little butt trying to keep up with him! Always an adventure riding with him! Today (aside from a few dumps and a couple of bumps) was by FAR, the BEST ride I’ve ever been on!

Final score, a cut above my lip, a slice on my arm, a big honkin shiner on my thigh, and… an epic day of riding I’ll never forget!! :)

Jackassride.jpg

Friday ~ My Bike Is Exhausted! :)

Mahogany Trail and Bald Mountain Lookout

Not a good day for me, still wiped out from yesterday (we all were). I was done before we started. I couldn’t find my groove at all and my riding stunk. We did a short section of Mahogany, which was a rocky uphill stretch (sooo not into rocks today!). We continued up to the top of Mahogany then took a jeep trail up to Bald Mountain. Took a few pictures up by the lookout and then heard this loud crash down the hill.

It was my BIKE!! :ride:

The poor thing… fell over from exhaustion! :banghead: My helmet took quite a slam too, put a nice dent in it :worthy: and did a little number on my bars, a tad cock-eyed… :D (geez!)

We had plans to continue onto another trail, but relieved we didn’t. I wasn’t up for it, my bike obviously wasn’t into it at all (haha) and nobody else seemed gun-ho either. We headed back to camp and kicked back for the rest of the day and hung out with Beast and met some of the guys who arrived for the weekend.

Up by the lookout. A fire had been through this area. Had a pretty 360 view.

IMG_1590.jpg

Uncle Jack

IMG_1591-1.jpg

Back at camp and a few shots of Beast and her family

IMG_1598_2.jpg

IMG_1596.jpg

IMG_1595.jpg

Saturday ~ Another Great Ride and Scenic Day

Beach Ridge Trail, Albanita Trail, Little Horse Trail, Little Horse and Osa Meadows and Blackrock Mountain Trail

A good night’s sleep does the bike and body good! We made a quick repair to my bars and geared up for another long ride. Today was pretty much the same as Thursday’s ride mileage wise (about 40 miles), but much more mellow and very scenic. This ride had one decent little rocky switch back section on Albanita, but it was downhill and no problems. After that, it was pretty clear sailing and fun as heck cruising through some of the most beautiful trails and meadows filled with wildflowers. Even had some sand and whoops to enjoy! Some riding club from Big Bear came by and stopped in the meadow and chatted with us for a bit. A lot more riders on the trails today… but, another great day!

Steve

IMG_1600_2.jpg

Me

IMG_1602.jpg

Me and Hub

IMG_1603_2.jpg

IMG_1604_2-1.jpg

Some of the flowers

IMG_1614.jpg

IMG_1615.jpg

IMG_1616.jpg

Steve, Hub and Jaws

IMG_1617.jpg

IMG_1618_2.jpg

IMG_1619.jpg

IMG_1620.jpg

IMG_1625-2.jpg

IMG_1626.jpg

I loved this part, was really pretty through here!

IMG_1629.jpg

IMG_1628.jpg

IMG_1627.jpg

Thanks to Everyone ~ Great Trip!

Thanks to Jaws ~ nice meeting you and awesome job leading Saturday’s ride! Was great seeing Beast and her family again and meeting some new people this trip; PTurner, Scoot22, Jaws, USM?? and rest of the group (I can’t remember all your names), hope you guys enjoyed the rest of your trip!

:ride:

And, last but not least... my hub’s “video-aug-crappy.” (He took two videos the entire trip):

Here’s one of them…

th_MVI_1563_2.jpg

“Cows in the Meadow".... LOL!! That’s it?!! That's all he says, after he gruffs about what a pain in the :worthy: it is to get the thing out. You’d think he’d at least roll it a bit longer, make it worth his while, at least long enough to get some footage of me mooing in the meadow, picking some flowers and dancing with the cows. At the very least, something exciting like me pushing my e-button, or a glimpse of me riding away… something?!! About 2 seconds after he shut the camera off, I got about 50 feet up the trail and 10 cows charged across my path, leaping right in front of me (yes, cows leap, lol) and scared the :banghead: out of me, even had a little stare off with a bull ~ he missed the WHOLE thing! :D

:banghead: :banghead: :)

:banghead:

I've been thinking of you mxd, thought you must be on your trip :D great pix, that place looks like so much fun!!! I hope we can come someday. Isn't that nice to have someone walk back like that and wave you on like that...just gives a boost of confidence and you don't feel so alone if you screw up bad--at least I imagine it would feel that way :)

that must have been really fun to go with just your husband and ride without worrying about your kids. It will get really cool in the future though when your kids are older and they can take care of themselves.

WHere is Kennedy Meadows? like what city is it up out of--Fresno? Bakersfield? I have no clue, it's in the Sierras, right?

I just LOVE LOOOOONG reports :worthy: Fantastic trip! (I wish we had some sort of photo album sticky or something we could put all the trip reports in :ride:)

Those free range cows are fun eh?

I bet that lazy morning was nice!!!

Sweet pix! Looks like you guys had fun! :)

You know it! Can't remember the last time I slept in! :D

I've been thinking of you mxd, thought you must be on your trip :banghead: great pix, that place looks like so much fun!!! I hope we can come someday. Isn't that nice to have someone walk back like that and wave you on like that...just gives a boost of confidence and you don't feel so alone if you screw up bad--at least I imagine it would feel that way :worthy:

that must have been really fun to go with just your husband and ride without worrying about your kids. It will get really cool in the future though when your kids are older and they can take care of themselves.

WHere is Kennedy Meadows? like what city is it up out of--Fresno? Bakersfield? I have no clue, it's in the Sierras, right?

I just LOVE LOOOOONG reports :banghead: Fantastic trip! (I wish we had some sort of photo album sticky or something we could put all the trip reports in :banghead:)

Those free range cows are fun eh?

You have free range cows too? They sure looked harmless until they get a wild hair up their butt and stampeded in front of you. I thought I was going to become prairie pattie! :ride:

Yea, my uncle said that section was difficult for him, I'm sure that prompted him to come down. I did a double take when I saw him, was a confirming sign to keep on going!

We were in the southeastern portion of the Sierra's (part of Sequoia). About an hour south of Mt. Whitney off the 395 (down from Lone Pine/Bishop area). Fresno and Bakersfield are located on the coastal side of the Sierra's (pretty far if you live in those cities, because you would have to travel north, or south and cut over on one of the passes, then come back up/down the 395 which runs along the base of the Sierra's. Yosemite would be approx. 4+ hours north of where we were.

I have a new perspective for what you mountain gals ride, butt-whoopin stuff! So different than what I’m used to riding. After 4 straight days of that, I was whipped. I think I went down for 5 days after we got home, haha. I love my kids, but we don’t always have a lot of opportunities to ride together alone for that many days. It was nice coming back to camp and being able to relax, not having to be accountable to anyone. I know it’ll get better when they’re older (just hard being my age with a 6 year old, I got a ways to go!). This definitely wasn’t a place for kids to ride, unless they're experienced. My oldest would've done fine, but not sure if he'd enjoy this kind of riding for several days straight, he still likes going mach 5 and looks back to check his roost.

Saw something on this trip that totally bummed me out There were two guys that we passed riding double with their kids, goating up the rocks on a section of Jackass Peak Trail. I was floored! These little girls had to be no older than 3 or 4 years old (little blonde curls poking out of their helmets, NO goggles either) and hanging on for dear life. No question these guys were good riders and felt confident enough to do this, but why take that kind of risk with your kid? I don’t care how great of a rider you are. Really made me sad. I hope it wasn’t anyone from here.

great pics. and i am soooo jealous of your hair! i wish i had blonde hair like that! mine is a half brown half golden shade...its ok, but i want hair like that so bad!

Durned young whipper snappers... when I was your age we weren't allowed to HAVE hair. Yup, our mother's shaved our heads and wove coats out of our hair. When the stubble would grow in she'd shave THAT to stuff our mattresses. And we had to walk uphill to school through six feet of snow with no shoes, then turn around and walk back home... uphill, through six feet of snow with no shoes! It was mighty cold with no hair too!

On a serious note... great ride report!

OMG... AWESOME PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want to go.............. I loved seeing all the red Hondas... thats HOT... go team RED!!!!!! Thanks for sharing... please let me know next time you go.... I want to go =)

ha, yeah I was thinking it looked like a honda commercial!!! that's funny, up here you see TONS of KTMS, or else Yamahas(we've got 2 of each), I've never seen so many hondas! That would be interesting to notice what people are riding in different parts of the US.

YM, gee, you too? haha, I was always dodging hairspray...(you know 30 years of spraying yourself with hairspray every day can't be good, dunno how my mom did it.)

That's worrisome about the little girls too, I always get creeped out about that stuff too. On the other hand maybe in 20 years they'll be spanking David Knight?

MXD, my reference point for CA is Los Banos/Modesto, that's where hub's family and friends are that's why I asked. A nice drive to Yosemite from there. I'd like to do one trip someday in the Sierras (like take pics where Ansel Adams did) that's cool theres great places to ride too. I read about Ansel Adams and Georgia O'keefe doing camping trips in the Sierras, along with other artsy fartsy characters like that, can you imagine the partying going on with that group??? :)

great pics. and i am soooo jealous of your hair! i wish i had blonde hair like that! mine is a half brown half golden shade...its ok, but i want hair like that so bad!

Thanks, but I'd gladly switch with you! You've got enough hair for 20 people and your haircolor is gorgeous, don't you dare mess with it! :)

Durned young whipper snappers... when I was your age we weren't allowed to HAVE hair. Yup, our mother's shaved our heads and wove coats out of our hair. When the stubble would grow in she'd shave THAT to stuff our mattresses. And we had to walk uphill to school through six feet of snow with no shoes, then turn around and walk back home... uphill, through six feet of snow with no shoes! It was mighty cold with no hair too!

^^ :D

And, some of us had the mom's who thought it was hip to experiment with their kids hair, not realizing that they were ruining their entire childhood. Funky 60's and 70's pixie and bob-do's, perms, being forced to sleep with 1000's of bobby pins poking out of their head with buckets of Dep and cans of Aquanet to make pin curls. Then came along those pink squishy sponge rollers! Child abuse all the way. I prayed for someone to shave my head!

On a serious note... great ride report!

Thanks

Amazing report and photos! thanks for sharing

great, now another place i have to go riding before I die.

thanks a lot.

:)

... there’s no way I'm stopping, I’m not looking at that drop-off and I'm not going down on these rocks!! Being a little vertically challenged on my bike is tough and if there’s nothing to grab, chances are, I will go down. There were plenty of rocks to grab, but this was something that once you commit, you don’t want to stop. If I go down, I’m either getting pitched over the edge, or I’m going to be landing on rocks.

that made me nauseous just reading it

“YOU did awesome!”

Isn't it nice to hear that once in a while?:) Sounds like you did do awesome, and what beautiful country! So KM is up above Yosemite roughly?

Thanks for sharing such a great ride report and for throwing in some flower pictures!!:D

go team RED!!!!!!

You and Snork will have to come up with us next time for sure! :ride: We'll have to run some black diamond watermelon races! :banghead:

ha, yeah I was thinking it looked like a honda commercial!!! that's funny, up here you see TONS of KTMS, or else Yamahas(we've got 2 of each), I've never seen so many hondas! That would be interesting to notice what people are riding in different parts of the US.

That's worrisome about the little girls too, I always get creeped out about that stuff too. On the other hand maybe in 20 years they'll be spanking David Knight?

MXD, my reference point for CA is Los Banos/Modesto, that's where hub's family and friends are that's why I asked. A nice drive to Yosemite from there. I'd like to do one trip someday in the Sierras (like take pics where Ansel Adams did) that's cool theres great places to ride too. I read about Ansel Adams and Georgia O'keefe doing camping trips in the Sierras, along with other artsy fartsy characters like that, can you imagine the partying going on with that group??? :banghead:

I only saw red up there (hehe) :banghead:

I guess vitual tours is how you create little diva Knight's? :D Ansel Adams, John Muir and the gang, can only imagine what they found to toke up a party up there! :banghead: You and your family need to make a trip to Yosemite next time your in CA (before it all burns up, yikes). June is best (waterfalls). Your family lives fairly close to the giant redwood forest parks (through the old gold country), have you been there yet?? That's a great place to see too.

Amazing report and photos! thanks for sharing

great, now another place i have to go riding before I die.

thanks a lot.:worthy:

Definetely, one for yer list!! :)

Isn't it nice to hear that once in a while?:banghead: Sounds like you did do awesome, and what beautiful country! So KM is up above Yosemite roughly?

Thanks for sharing such a great ride report and for throwing in some flower pictures!!:banghead:

Even nicer when they actually admit you did it better than they did! We were fairly close to Yosemite, about 4+ hours south. I purposely took the flower pics just for you guys. I think we caught the tail end of the bloom period, must've been much more a month ago. Would love to know what those tall corn field looking tulip leaves were (last pics on link #9). The blooms were gone, must've been awesome looking when the the flowers were there.