Sign in to follow this  

Is this a good chain for our bikes?

I have an 08' 400S and don't like the noise the oem chain makes. I hear that a better "O" Ring chain with good lube will solve my problem. I have an order coming in from these guys and will get a big discount plus free shipping. If this is a good chain for my bike, I'm just going to add it to my order.

http://www.langstonracing.com/eshopprod_cat_3652-35716_product_446716.DID_520MX_x_120L_Chain_Gold.htm

DID 520MX x 120L Chain Gold

Thanks for the help guys.....

I got a DID ZVM for my SM and like it

the stock RK chain was waring out at 9,000 miles

as for the noise

you need to get a belt driven bike if a little noise is bothering you

It doesn't say that its an oring chain...

There is nothing wrong with the stock chain, have you lubricated it properly?

yeah Regalman makes a good point

the DID MX chain is a non O ring chain that is why they addvertize it to make more % HP with it

the stock and O or X ring chains have some pearasiteec power laws

but you dont need to lube a O ring chain every 50 miles

I lube mine about every 500 miles or after every time I power wash it

i wouldn't trust Langston Racing. Search their name on this forum. Lots of negative press

I've already been dealing with them without issues. I already know everybody on this site is all over Forests jock, but I tried out Langston and Forest right off the bat, and Forest dropped the ball on an easy order. Langston came through for me and is only a 2 day ship where Wheeling takes almost a week. I'm sure I will go through Forest again as I plan to start shopping through TT's Store. Langston is going to give me a huge discount on my next order so I want to take advantage of it and get some items they have at the discount.

Back to chains now.....

Thanks for the heads up on that chain. I looked at the TT store and saw a bunch of good ones but still have no clue to what one to get. Brand....Link count.... The Moose one looks nice. I know I will have chain noise. I have been told that a better chain than the OEM will at least reduce it a bit. Some is better than none. So, I need to know the size of the chain to get, X-Ring Vs O-Ring..... What about the Moose 520 FB O-Ring Chain? http://shop.thumpertalk.com/catalogs/Parts_Unlimited_Offroad_2007/default.asp?p=789

If you have an S model with stock gearing, you want a 112 link chain. You can obvoiusly get a longer chain and cut to fit your needs.

Its not suprising that a more local place will have faster shipping than a place in WV.

As for Forrest bashing, I'd be carful, he is slowly become near cult'ish around here.... and for the record, I'll bet without any knowledge of your problem that Forrest did everything he could to correct it.

The stock Oring chain is a nice unit.

Where in my post did I bash Forest? Nowhere. I even said I will buy from Forest again. As I will start buying from the TT store. All I said is he dropped the ball on an easy order. If people can't handle a simple statement like that, then they need to :D

Forest was very nice and I have no issues with him. It's just a matter of a company that is closer to me has been doing me right and is going to take care of me even more on my next order. Does it really matter who I buy from? If I said I buy from the TT store only, will it ease everybody's issues?

I love this site and appreciate all the info available here. Because of that, I WILL buy from the TT store soon and continue to support the site.

Thanks for the info on the link count I need for my S model. Now I just need to decide on the model. That Moose sounds like a nice chain. I'm just hoping that some more users comment on what they use on their bikes.

As far as the stock chain being a good one..... I have several friends that own DRZs and a couple more friends that did own them at one time. One of them is a professional racer. He recommended that it be swapped out. I trust his opinion. Even if it's no improvement, who cares. It's my coin. I can waste it how I see fit. Plus, it's one more part on the bike that I can say I changed :)

I always look at where places are located before I order. I needed a Zeta pivot lever quickly, and based on the proximity to Wheeling cycle, I ordered it from them, it was here in 2 days. I order from Rocky Mountain on a regular basis. They might not be the closest shop to me, but they have gone to great extents to help me out with issues that occurred with shipping. I needed a new rear sprocket for an enduro I was riding, and they shipped it, UPS lost it, and they shipped a replacement overnight with Saturday delivery! That shipping probably cost them more than I paid for the sprocket, but it just goes to show that they are good business-people. They have excellent shipping prices, the UPS 2 day air they offer, is always within 5 bucks of ground shipping, so I always opt for that.

A bad experience I had, was with Bike Bandit. I ordered some stuff from them, on a Monday. I figured since they were in California, it'd take roughly a week or so to get the parts. I called on the following Monday(good god, getting a person when you call there is like pulling teeth) and said have the items been shipped, and they informed me that they were waiting on them from their supplier, but never communicated this to me. They simply refer to a catch all page on their site that you'd never find, that states it may take up to 5 days for them to ship the item, and then another 5-10 days for you to receive it.

They claim to have so many parts in stock, but they always have to order everything I ever bought there. Only thing I like about them now is they give AMA discounts.

Dude, you need to take a chill pill... I wasn't attacking you.

If your racing buddy is suggesting that you remove a new stock RK oring chain from you bike for a better one, maybe you should be asking him what he suggests as a better replacement.

A bad experience I had, was with Bike Bandit. I ordered some stuff from them, on a Monday. I figured since they were in California, it'd take roughly a week or so to get the parts.

Were you buying OEM parts?

I've found that almost nobody actually stocks parts anymore. Almost everything is either drop shipped or reshiped.

On anything I need that is time constraint dependant, I always order from Dennis Kirk... their website shows real on hand counts and they guarantee that if its in stock it will go out that night. [i've even ordered at 6:30pm est] For you left coasters, you still have to deal with lengthy shipping, but for us midwest guys its incredible. The only time I didn't get a package on time, it was UPS's fault... imagine that.

If you have an S model with stock gearing, you want a 112 link chain. You can obvoiusly get a longer chain and cut to fit your needs.

Its not suprising that a more local place will have faster shipping than a place in WV.

As for Forrest bashing, I'd be carful, he is slowly become near cult'ish around here.... and for the record, I'll bet without any knowledge of your problem that Forrest did everything he could to correct it.

The stock Oring chain is a nice unit.

Looking for a new chain also. Going to go with a Regina chain. I currently changed the front sprocket to a 14t. Would you still recommend a 112 link chain or 110? Thanks

I'm thinking either one will work. If you think you may want to drop to a 13 at some point, you may want to go with a 110. Of course, you can always go shorter, but not longer, so if you think you may want to run 15/44 again, might be worth it to stick with the 112. [i've ran 110 link on 15/44 but it is at the extreme end of the adjustment to do so.]

One thing a few friends that either have this bike of have had them told me is when I get the new chain, try to run with one fewer link. To try to get the wheel as far forward as I can get it to shorten the wheel base. They were saying it helps with getting the front wheel off the ground. Any truth to this?

Regal, not snapping at you dude. You had just implied that I was bashing a fan favorite of the site and I wasn't. No biggie. As far as asking the guy who said to change the chain. He is a pain to get a hold of. I only see him now and then by chance when out riding. I figured it would be easier to just post up on here and see what other members are using.

One thing a few friends that either have this bike of have had them told me is when I get the new chain, try to run with one fewer link. To try to get the wheel as far forward as I can get it to shorten the wheel base. They were saying it helps with getting the front wheel off the ground. Any truth to this?

Don't go to the effort to shorten the wheel base to loft the wheel. Wasted time and energy. Quicker fixes would be to adjust the suspension to firmer settings and using better technique. You are talking about an 1" or so of shortened wheel base at the most

Were you buying OEM parts?

I've found that almost nobody actually stocks parts anymore. Almost everything is either drop shipped or reshiped.

On anything I need that is time constraint dependant, I always order from Dennis Kirk... their website shows real on hand counts and they guarantee that if its in stock it will go out that night. [i've even ordered at 6:30pm est] For you left coasters, you still have to deal with lengthy shipping, but for us midwest guys its incredible. The only time I didn't get a package on time, it was UPS's fault... imagine that.

No, I haven't bought any OEM parts for my bike haha. I've ordered a tire, oil, and filters from them, that's about it. The tire took 2 weeks to get, the oil and filters took a week and a half. I tried ordering a chain from them, and they completely dropped the ball(after 2 weeks they told me they couldn't get the one I wanted) and I ended up canceling the order. I order them from rocky mountain and have the stuff in my hand in less than a week.

Thanks for the advice. Now, what do you guys recommend for the chain. I still want to change it. The other chains I've seen are way beefier and simply look better. I'm sure the OEM chain is adequate, but I have the upgrade bug and I am focusing on certain things first. I changed the top tree, bars, brake levers, grips, side panels, pegs, hand guards, tail light... Did a bunch of free mods(smog removal, kickstand shutoff...) Now I am about to order armor for the bike.(skid plate, case guards, heal guard, rear rotor guard...) and a chain.

I'm also getting HEL braided brake lines for the front and rear. Once all that is done, I will sit back a bit and save up to do the FCR and Yosh.

I think I might do the Moose chain. Something different. I will do a bit of review searching first though.

The tire took 2 weeks to get

Now that's not suprising... basically 'all' tires go through parts unlimited... if they are on backorder from PU... nobody is getting them.

Like I said, to avoid all that jump through hoops crap, I buy from places that actually stock parts... which are harder and harder to find.