Problems starting my KTM ????

Hi there, I was hoping for your opinions as to if I may have a problem with my Ktm 200 Exc.

I tried starting it today after not using it for 4 weeks and it didnt want to kick over. I check the basics, it had fuel, fuel switch was on, spark plug was ok and gapped correct but it still didnt turn over.

This happened once before after I had ridden it pretty hard, but after trying to kick it over for about a hour it started fine and didnt show this problem since. Any ideas as to what I should be checking?

Cheers

Speirsy

Hi there, I was hoping for your opinions as to if I may have a problem with my Ktm 200 Exc.

I tried starting it today after not using it for 4 weeks and it didnt want to kick over. I check the basics, it had fuel, fuel switch was on, spark plug was ok and gapped correct but it still didnt turn over.

This happened once before after I had ridden it pretty hard, but after trying to kick it over for about a hour it started fine and didnt show this problem since. Any ideas as to what I should be checking?

Cheers

Speirsy

clean the carb and add fresh gas, to start.

Cheers

Speirsy

1:explain turn over.

2: do you have spark?

Hi guys, many thanks for the help offered. Well strangely enough I tried the bike tonight and it started first kick! I just let it warm up for 10 mins or so but will head out for a decent blast tomorrow to see if this problem reoccurs.

I'm now only assuming I flooded it to mabye explain why it was such a bitch to kick over earlier???

Well I took the bike out today and had no problems at all. Started first kick all day. I guess I can only rule the problems to possibly flooding it unless this happens again. ?

Cheers for the positive comments folks :D

• 1 year later...

I hate to bring an old thread back to life but.... I have a 1999 200exc and it has been standing for 6 weeks, I have heaps of trouble starting the bike cold??? it starts easy when wormed up (first kick), when cold I have to get a tow behind another bike to fire her up. I rode her for 2 hrs today stopped for lunch and again she didn't want to fire up? any ideas..?

I hate to bring an old thread back to life but.... I have a 1999 200exc and it has been standing for 6 weeks, I have heaps of trouble starting the bike cold??? it starts easy when wormed up (first kick), when cold I have to get a tow behind another bike to fire her up. I rode her for 2 hrs today stopped for lunch and again she didn't want to fire up? any ideas..?

As I use to say, rule out the basic simple things first like; change to a new plug even if it looks ok, drain the carb and put some new gas in tank and take apart the carb and clean it properly.

When you have ruled these things out and see's no difference there are some other things to look up before tearing down the engine.

swede, I recon you are right. Will give the bike a good clean pull the carb give that a good clean and see how I go.

The one thing I did notice is 'when its cold' she wont start too easy. Do I need to change the jetting for winter?

swede, I recon you are right. Will give the bike a good clean pull the carb give that a good clean and see how I go.

The one thing I did notice is 'when its cold' she wont start too easy. Do I need to change the jetting for winter?

yes you do need to jet for the winter once a noticable temp difference is in place. Your bike will lean out and could get too lean if left to summer jetting.

I have a ktm 200sx. It wont start. I have changed the plug, gapped it. I have put freash gas in it and changed the gearbox oil. I have drained the float bowl and cleaned the carb. I have cleaned the airfilter. I have checked for compression and I have good compression. The bike started first kick a week ago when I bought it. Today I went riding and it wouldnt start. I kicked it over and it still didnt do anything. I pushed the bike up a hill and tried to bump start it twice. It burped a bit but that was it! Any suggestions or help?

I think I am going to go insane!

I'd say you problem is probably a plugged choke circuit? So when you pull the choke, you are not getting that extra fuel. Try a can of brake cleaner, a quick puff into the air inlet (probably do it with the air cleaner off as it will wash off the filter oil) and see if it lights right up. If so, (brake cleaner makes a perfect starting fluid) and if it does, you have a plugged choke circuit which is just another passage for fuel to enter in front of the venturi when opened.