Sign in to follow this  

450excr exaust leak

i have a small leak right where the head pipe meets the silencer i noticed the spring was black then saw that it was pretty clear that it didnt sit flush the ktm dealer said that it was pretty normal and theres not much to do other than buy a new full exhaust, but it just seems wrong that all the stock 08 excrs would have this flaw so i was wundering if anyone else has the same issue or has fixed a similar situation.

I don't believe for a minute that it is normal. My 530 has no such issue, and I have not heard of anyone else having this problem with the 08's.

Try this: loosen the muffler mount bolts and header mount bolt just above the kick starter. Check the header mount to the engine for proper tightness. Move the muffler a little bit back and forth to "free" it up and let it settle to a natural position. Start the engine, and let the pipe warm up for 1 minute, then shut it down. The next morning after the exhaust has cooled, tighten your muffler and rear header bolts to spec. This procedure will elimate any possible "tweak" in the system that could be causing the exhaust leak. If this does not cure the problem then you will need to clean all surfaces around the leak area, and seal with super high temp silicone. Make sure you let the silicone fully cure before starting the bike.

DBM

well, the endcap came factory glued on, but the midpipe doesn't seem to be. so my guess would be a bit of sealing epoxy would remedy this.

it didn't do it tonight actually

I don't believe for a minute that it is normal. My 530 has no such issue, and I have not heard of anyone else having this problem with the 08's.

Try this: loosen the muffler mount bolts and header mount bolt just above the kick starter. Check the header mount to the engine for proper tightness. Move the muffler a little bit back and forth to "free" it up and let it settle to a natural position. Start the engine, and let the pipe warm up for 1 minute, then shut it down. The next morning after the exhaust has cooled, tighten your muffler and rear header bolts to spec. This procedure will elimate any possible "tweak" in the system that could be causing the exhaust leak. If this does not cure the problem then you will need to clean all surfaces around the leak area, and seal with super high temp silicone. Make sure you let the silicone fully cure before starting the bike.

DBM