Sign in to follow this  

2 vs 4 stroke

Sounds biased and subjective to me. Don't know if that's what you were aiming for. I personally own both so...

The "Easy riding is never fun." comment was pretty funny though. We should discontinue all bike and go back to the mid 80s CR500. :)

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have an 80s CR500. Just not as my only bike. :D

I agree, it is a bit biased and you have a few grammatical errors and facts messed up.

Like said above, really biased. If you are going to write an article titled "2 vs 4 stroke" than you need to do a comparison for both. Listing both positives and negatives for both bikes without a judgement on either.

Perhaps a better title would be "why I think a 2stroke is better than a 4stroke."

I have a two stroke and a 4 stroke.

I think you should break your articles into paragraphs. It makes it easier to read.

And I think a few points were a little off. In my experiance, 2 strokes need a LOT more maintenance than a 4 stroke. You are correct in stating that 2 stroke maintenance is cheaper, however.

I think each bike has its purpose. I like the 2 stroke on the track. But I wouldn't want to do technical work on a trail with a 2 stroke, and have to have the thing wound out so I wont stall it on a little boulder.

Not to mention, it would be a pain to fuel up on a dual sport ride without a gas can to pre-mix the fuel. Or a gas saver measuring cup with you.

Not to mention a 2 stroke, because of how fast the power comes on, is a BAD bike to teach people how to ride.

I have a to agree, its pretty obvious you have a bias.

But also not a bad article. Just write the next one in paragraphs so its easier to read through.:)

sorry, i should of mentioned that it was about why i thought 2 strokes were up there. they arent necessarily better, but they are so looked down upon its sad :) . and i dont think i have any grammatical errors, i wrote it on word

I have a two stroke and a 4 stroke.

I think you should break your articles into paragraphs. It makes it easier to read.

And I think a few points were a little off. In my experiance, 2 strokes need a LOT more maintenance than a 4 stroke. You are correct in stating that 2 stroke maintenance is cheaper, however.

I think each bike has its purpose. I like the 2 stroke on the track. But I wouldn't want to do technical work on a trail with a 2 stroke, and have to have the thing wound out so I wont stall it on a little boulder.

Not to mention, it would be a pain to fuel up on a dual sport ride without a gas can to pre-mix the fuel. Or a gas saver measuring cup with you.

Not to mention a 2 stroke, because of how fast the power comes on, is a BAD bike to teach people how to ride.

I have a to agree, its pretty obvious you have a bias.

But also not a bad article. Just write the next one in paragraphs so its easier to read through.:)

Even your points are biased. Not judging or saying anything bad about what you said. I haven't read anything un-biased on this subject. It really depends on what 2 stroke you are riding in the woods. Some are extremely smooth and do just fine on tight slippery trails. Others hit hard and would not be good. Every 4stroke has a different powerband as well as every 2stroke. Same for a beginner bike. It depends on what 2stroke you plan to learn on. A hard hitting 4stroke would not be good to learn on.

i didn't read the whole thing, but i'm comment anyway. so if i go over anything...sorry.

but u should state that pros do use 2 strokes, just not for MX. almost all pros use 2 strokes for jumping and i think bout half use it for step-up.

another benefit is cost. i could spend the same amount and rebuild my whole 2 stroke (top/bottom end) for the price it would be to do a top end (if you do valves and stuff).

:

totally disagree w/ this statement is some ways. if ur first ride is gonna be some crazy mountain trails, then yeah i'd agree. but ridin dunes, or somethin more open, i thik 2's are fine. but that could be cause that's what i learned on.

so in my opinion, if u want to do it cheap, or love to fly, buy a 2 stroke. if ur a bigger dude that wants the grunt and don't care as much about $$, then i'd say go thumper.

i wish i could own a thumper, but to buy a used one in my price range is a bad idea. sorry again for the repeats if there is any..

yeah, gthoma23 is right, but i just wish people would realize... the only time 4 strokes met the dependability of 2 strokes was when we were in ttr's and xr's. which made no power. now we are in yzf's and crf's which make good power, but have no reliability and are very pricey. you just cant stretch it out

i disagree with the reliability statement. your bike will last as good as you treat it. you change the oil and do the filter, it should last.

EDIT:

Smokers don't need more maintenance. I've only serviced my air filter, oil and spark plug on both my 250's. Once a year I do the piston/rings. Big woop. Everything else like linkage, sprockets are all the same.

My KX's can pull out of a berm in 1st, 2nd or 3rd. In fact, I can run the same track on the pipe or not just by shifting to another gear. 125's are a different story obviously. I think alot of people mess up the power curve by installing various aftermarket goodies which may focus on a certain range. My stock KX can pul like a truck and wind up like a smoker with no hit. The modded one has a little less bottom where you notice a slight hit but a tad more over rev.

It needs a little help. "Can actually almost compare." What is that?

I do agree with most of it. Although the part about 4-strokes not getting better traction is not true. I have both, and the 4 MX bike definitely gets better traction than a 2 MX. It doesn't make a difference what tire you use. Some, more trail oriented 2s, may be an exception.

A hard hitting 4stroke would not be good to learn on.

That is true. But that would be like teaching someone to drive in a Corvette.

Even a 125 has pretty good power in the power band. And the power can be decieving. You can have the throttle wide open and be accelerating a little bit, you think you have plenty of time before a corner, you think everything is going smooth then BAM! You hit the power band.

I say this from experiance. And seeing people panic when it hits the power band and do nothing but hang on and let it go. I once say a girl almost go over the edge of a 30 drop off because of this. We thought we were plenty far away from it. It was a 125, which has NO low end torque. So we told her she had to keep the RPM WAY up and EASE the clutch out. She forgot the "ease" part of that.

I don't have any experiance with a 250 two stroke. they might have more lower end torque, which would mean you don't have to keep the RPM as high.

I have never seen anyone panic on a 4 stroke when they hit the power band.

And it is fact, 4 strokes have a much broader and more even power band. That is not bias.

And like another response even states, different bikes for different purposes. For jumping they use two strokes.

Really what this comes down to is PREFERENCE and the individual conditions that the rider intends to attack with the dirt bike.

EDIT:

Smokers don't need more maintenance. I've only serviced my air filter, oil and spark plug on both my 250's. Once a year I do the piston/rings. Big woop.

Ya, I guess I should point out, my bike is a 1990, so I had to rebuild the power valve and govenor and a bunch of other things that wear out. So I guess thats not fair to compare an old two stroke to a new 4 stroke.

and i dont think i have any grammatical errors, i wrote it on word

"they have extremely fewer moving parts than a four stroke"

That was just one. There are tons of other ones.

And please make the background white and the letters black. I just looked back from you page to reply here, and I can't see a damn thing!

It also sounds extremely biased as people have said before. If you want it to sound more objective, try to write more formally than you speak. Also, write from a more universal standpoint- try not to use "I" or "you".

And yes, 4 strokes do make better traction than 2 strokes. :)