Sign in to follow this  

Rebuilding / Replacing Head in an 05 450R

First, I would like to thank all of the very knowledgable members here on TT.

Im iin the process of rebuilding the top end in my 05 450. I bought a new 07 head, thinking it came assembled with valves, springs, etc. I realize that its ultimately my fault for assuming this, but I even asked the salesman at Service Honda if the head came with the valves in it and he of course told me yes.

Anyway, now Im contemplating on wether to send the head back and take a 20% restocking fee ($50) and just having my seats cut, or buying all new valves, springs, etc. for the new head. I have no clue how to assemble the head with the valves and everything, and really dont even know what to buy. I know I would go with SS valves, but not sure which ones. Is there anywhere that sells an entire valve replacement kit? Or do I have to peice it together.

Just looking for some suggestions or links to a site that sells a kit if possible.

Thanks in advance

Chris

I'd suggest that you keep the new 07 head and put stock OEM valvetrain in it. It takes about 10 minutes to assemble a head.

You will need a valve spring compressor. A small slotted screw driver and magnet to help get the cotters in (along with some grease).

There is a how to in the tech section or something like that where it outlines rebuilding a head.

You will need new spring seats (4), springs, seals, valves, cotters and retainers.

The spring seats go in the bottom of the head first, then the seals, then stick in the valves, then springs, then retainers then you compress the spring and put in the cotters. - Only compress the springs as far as you need to, to get the cotters in.

After the valves are in, support the head on some blocks of wood, and make sure the valves will not contact the wood. Then take a socket and place it on top of the spring and tap it with a hammer, this will seat the cotters. If they aren't in properly they will pop out now rather than later.

Excellent write up Agent Smith! Is the 07 head compatible with older bikes? I thought it had a different cam tower, cam, etc.

Your old cam tower, etc., will bolt right up.

Anyone have a parts list for the valves and all supporting hardware? I'd like to make one order, rather than going to put the head together and finding out I need a retainer that would have to be ordered...

To add on, don't forget about putting in the spring seats... I assumed the machine shop left them in, only to notice that the guy brings me a bag of stuff the next day, and guess whats in it, the spring seats and spark plug, :) (The whole bike wasn't together, just was waiting on a plug) had to take the motor all apart again to stuff them in -- and the intake spring seats didn't fit over the seals... Never do that again, oh well, learned some stuff there.

Wow :) . Great write up. Thanks a lot for all of the help. Now I just need to decide what to do... Not sure if its worth it to keep the 07 head or just have my head redone. Im far from a pro, so Im sure I wouldnt notice a different in performance between the 05 and 07 head.

What would the head be worth as it is? Or rebuilt? Any ideas?

Used heads fetch about $125 on ebay.

........ Im far from a pro,......

Don't sell yourself short there fella,

This looks pretty much like pro to me, navigating a turn in Paragon 1:

Picture062.jpg

I would say you were just looking for your contact lense, but,.... in reality you just didn't judge the ever changing conditions.

In all seriousness though, if it were me, I would go kibble white, what's a few dollars while you're in there, right?

Nice pic.

No Problem, I do have some big air shots that belong in Dirt Rider, but didn't want you to be embarrassed, I know how modest you are. :)