Sign in to follow this  

Oring

anyone know whats wrong with using an off the shelve o ring for the exchange piston on a kyb shock?

just curious.

I'm sure others may have input, but as long as your positive it is the exact matcdh I don't see a problem. If your not sure though may want to think twice unless you don't mind having to tear the shock back apart.

anyone know whats wrong with using an off the shelve o ring for the exchange piston on a kyb shock?

just curious.

Not sure what the "exchange piston" is?:)

Not sure what the "exchange piston" is?:)

I am using dave J's termanology...but its the piston that has the high speed adjustment spring on it its function is to control the fluid displaced by the shock shaft.

How will I now if the o ring does not work....will it be obvious when the bike is ridden?

I am using dave J's termanology...but its the piston that has the high speed adjustment spring on it its function is to control the fluid displaced by the shock shaft.

How will I now if the o ring does not work....will it be obvious when the bike is ridden?

I though Dave included one of those o-rings with his fluid? He says to NOT use any other o-ring if that's the one?

Spent the last day & a half pulling the trans out of an old D-8 Cat bulldozer...my arse is dragging...:D:):worthy:

I though Dave included one of those o-rings with his fluid? He says to NOT use any other o-ring if that's the one?

yeah that one....and I think he does..but this shock isn't getting daves oil...

just rebuilt with fresh fluids etc....

I will end up having to get one from dave i think (not a bad thing, just wanted it today!)...can't find one locally

If the o-ring is the same size, ID, OD, and section, it should be fine. The only thing I would be concerned with is the compound of the material the o-ring is made of. It has to be compatible with the fluid used and the temp range it will be subjected to. There are many compounds used in the manufacturing of o-rings. Buna N is generally considered the "standard, off the shelf" material but, for an example, I don't believe Buna N is compatible with brake fluid. It is compatible with most oils. Call your local bearing house and they should be able to help you out.

DaveJ would most likely tell you what compound to use with his oil. I doubt he would be worried about making 30 % on a 15 cent item. It wouldn't be worth his time to put it in an envelope!

If the o-ring is the same size, ID, OD, and section, it should be fine. The only thing I would be concerned with is the compound of the material the o-ring is made of. It has to be compatible with the fluid used and the temp range it will be subjected to. There are many compounds used in the manufacturing of o-rings. Buna N is generally considered the "standard, off the shelf" material but, for an example, I don't believe Buna N is compatible with brake fluid. It is compatible with most oils. Call your local bearing house and they should be able to help you out.

DaveJ would most likely tell you what compound to use with his oil. I doubt he would be worried about making 30 % on a 15 cent item. It wouldn't be worth his time to put it in an envelope!

good input.

I called dave, and he said he would ship me a couple free of charge....if i don't find one before then, have to say his service is great.

I will call around and see what I can find, hopefully I can get something this week.

Thanks again for the input.