Sign in to follow this  

It can happen (brake pedal)

Well, I have read about it but never thought it would happen to me. I was riding and went down on right side. As I was picking my bike up, I looked down and saw what nobody ever wants to see. Fluid leaking! My brake pedal came up and put a hole in my clutch cover. I was going to grind down the brake pedal when I go back to Michigan in two weeks but I'm too late. :)

Day of riding went to s**t that quick. new clutch cover from the dealer is $65 and a week waiting for it. So a tip to anyone that still has the stock, unmodified brake pedal. MODIFY IT, Grind it, do whatever. Learn from my mistake.

The stock cover is pretty weak. I would pony up for an SFB cover or something comparable. $65 plus the potential of a burned up clutch next time comes close to the cost of the thicker cover. I put a hole in mine on a tip over in the rocks did not notice it and proceeded to burn up the clutch:bonk: Also got a big ole DNF (that really hurts I wanted to preserve my last place finish record:cry:).

Well, I have read about it but never thought it would happen to me. I was riding and went down on right side. As I was picking my bike up, I looked down and saw what nobody ever wants to see. Fluid leaking! My brake pedal came up and put a hole in my clutch cover. I was going to grind down the brake pedal when I go back to Michigan in two weeks but I'm too late. :)

Day of riding went to s**t that quick. new clutch cover from the dealer is $65 and a week waiting for it. So a tip to anyone that still has the stock, unmodified brake pedal. MODIFY IT, Grind it, do whatever. Learn from my mistake.

I modified my brake pedal and I still have issues. I keep MSR Quick Aluminium in my pack. As of now I am on my 4th repair. The good thing is that you leak transmission oil, and not engine oil. In an emergency you could ride it back without grenading your motor. (I think).

Regards,

Thomas

Reading this, I'm counting my blessings! I dumped mine on the right side a while back and it crushed the pedal so that all I had to push on was small platform, but didn't puncture the case. Whew!! I've got some JB Quick Weld in my toolbox, but thats usually at camp or in the car. Is a simple wipe off with a rag adequate to get Quick Aluminum to plug a hole in a case that was just leaking or what do you have to do so that it will stick? Clean with gas maybe?

Thanks.

Dang, now I'm starting to think that those aftermarket clutch and ignition covers are worth it. Which ones are the beefiest?

Dang, now I'm starting to think that those aftermarket clutch and ignition covers are worth it. Which ones are the beefiest?

SFB is strong and a pretty good value.

SFB is strong and a pretty good value.

+1 My bike spends most of it's life on the ground. My SFB has held up well. That with grinding down the brake pedal teeth.

Well...tipped over and hadn't ground off the pedal teeth -day one of a multi-day trip resulted in a small hole and leaking trans fluid. JB welded it, topped it off and rode for 3 more days and drained it last night. Got quite a bit of aluminum out of the tranny!

I'm thinking I should have drained it on the trip before refilled. :p Anyway, am flushing the tranny and hope to not see nearly as much aluminum this time. Like nearly zero!!!

For those who've knocked a hole in theres, did you too find lots of aluminum in your tranny? I'm not talking the normal discoloration to the fluid, but small chunks. Shoulda taken a pic of the oil pan, but dumped it.

It looks like SFB no longer makes clutch covers.

Edited by dmac1
SFB

I read about this problem awhile back and neglected to grind the teeth down. After a washing my bike afte a ride, I notice a couple of tooth impressions in the case cover. I immediately ground down the teet and haven't had a problem since. Thanks for posting this, vet riders need to be reminded and new riders need to know.

In addition to grinding off teeth, I cut up a chunk of rubber to fit over the inside of the brake peddle and then tied it on there with safety wire. Therefore, when the bike gets dropped and the brake pedal gets jammed against the cover, it's not metal on metal contact. There's a little rubber in between to cushion. The piece of rubber I used came from the heel of an old shoe, but you could also use many other sources.

After a washing my bike afte a ride, I notice a couple of tooth impressions in the case cover. I immediately ground down the teet and haven't had a problem since.

I had a tooth go through the cover, but some have problems even after grinding off the teeth.

Anyway, my question was if people who have poked a hole in their cover have found aluminum chunks in their tranny? I found more than I expected. Wonder if the inside of the cover kinda fractured out and if 3 more days of riding ground up the chunks in the gears.

I haven't yet reflushed or pulled the cover. Hopefully tonight!

In addition to grinding off teeth, I cut up a chunk of rubber to fit over the inside of the brake peddle and then tied it on there with safety wire. Therefore, when the bike gets dropped and the brake pedal gets jammed against the cover, it's not metal on metal contact. There's a little rubber in between to cushion. The piece of rubber I used came from the heel of an old shoe, but you could also use many other sources.

I ended up doing the same thing, I just used a piece of heater hose and so far it was worked like a champ!:p