Sign in to follow this  

Denver area. Where to ride for newbie kids?

Where in Denver is a good place for newbie kids to learn to ride? My kids have ridden a few times, but they still need reletively flat and non-technical conditions until they get their core skils down pat (shifting, braking, looking ahead, etc...) Any open areas close to the Highlands Ranch area to play in for a couple of CRF50s?

I have taught a handful of people to ride at the Watkins MX grounds. They have a large open area that is fairly flat and open, a really good place to let people learn. Then they have 3 tracks, the big track, intermediate track, and a peewee track. Sometimes it seems that there are some noobs going where they shouldn't or going to fast in parking areas but I think that is common at lots of tracks. Berthoud is another good learning spot and I have also heard, but don't know first hand, that IMI near Erie is not to bad for teaching.

My little guys are on XR50, XR70 and XR100. I've taught them all how to learn at Berthoud. I go there during the week and you have the entire place to yourself. They can ride the pit area at that time and the 50-65cc track. Then there's other tracks once they get more comfortable.

I'm headed there on Friday with them.

i would recomend watkins as well

the beginner track made me what i am today

its a lot of straight flat ground with little jumps and no hills or anything scary

i would recomend watkins as well

the beginner track made me what i am today

its a lot of straight flat ground with little jumps and no hills or anything scary

If your in Highlands Ranch - Their doing construction across from the town center. I talked to the site supervisor and sense their just trying to flatten the plot right now he gave me permission to take my cousin out there last weekend to learn on the cornor by kiser permente. You could prolly go out there as well, or always stop by and ask. His only rules were full gear and no big bikes so there wouldn't be any damage to the land

I recommend you try Erie. No membership fee and only $10 per bike to ride. They have a lot of flat areas to learn on. the are only 10 minutes north of 104th ave

I also taught my kids to ride at Watkins, with the occasional trip to Pueblo. The absolute best place is on the western slope in the adobes at either Grand Junction, Delta or Montrose, but that is a long haul from the front range.

+1 on Erie. I've been out there with the wife a few times (her first times on a dirtbike) and it's a great place for beginners. Go all the way into the back corner opposite the entrance and you don't have to worry about any fast riders buzzing you.

Tommy

+2 for Erie, they are probably the least expensive.

Which ever is closest to you will be just fine.

Can't believe Rampart hasn't been mentioned yet...

http://www.rampartrange.org/

Sure, it's up in the hills with trees around, but, at Flat Rocks CG (among others) there are flat, open areas to learn. Just stay off the road if you are unlicensed.

thunder valley is a great place for kids and adults to ride, my son did well there on a ktm mini,

just north of denver off I-25 there is a a couple places to ride by the old dog track, i use to go there as a kid all the time just south of ft collins, there are good hills and jumps for the adults and nice small figure 8's and ovals etc. for the children.

there use to be a track in windsor but im not sure if its still there, and that track was perfect for kids to learn on.

• Like 1

You might like to check out this place. www.coloradooffroadextreme.com it is never busy has 800 acres to ride on all types of tracks, you can ride/drive about anything you want ie; bikes, quads, trucks, jeeps, rally cars, sandrails, utv's, desert trucks, or stock cars, and street cars.