Sign in to follow this  

Backfire screen ... ASAP

Hey guys this has probly been covered but can i cut my backfire screen out witht the stock filter ? Thanks

sure you can.....there are aftermarket kits that come with no screen. I think the fear is the filter catching on fire, but if you clean the filter yourself use fire resistant oil ect.. Not sure you'll get anymore power out of the bike cutting the screen out, but you can do it.

Hey guys this has probly been covered but can i cut my backfire screen out witht the stock filter ? Thanks

I did. Haven't caught on fire yet.

Incidentally, you don't have to cut anything - the screen pops out of the plastic cage in one piece.

JayC

I did. Haven't caught on fire yet.

Incidentally, you don't have to cut anything - the screen pops out of the plastic cage in one piece.

JayC

Can you pop it back in if desired?

Thanks.

Can you pop it back in if desired?

Thanks.

I couldn't get mine out without destroying it, so I bought a used air filter frame off eBay for $8. :) It was from a 2005 250X that someone had already cut the screen out of. I don't think the 250R has the screen, so you could just buy a stock 250R air filter frame.

I noticed a big difference in the performance of my bike after replacing the air filter frame...BUT I did that at the same time that I cut the air box and put in an adjustable fuel screw, so I can't tell you exactly how much of that change was only from the new air filter frame.

I couldn't get mine out without destroying it, so I bought a used air filter frame off eBay for $8. :) It was from a 2005 250X that someone had already cut the screen out of. I don't think the 250R has the screen, so you could just buy a stock 250R air filter frame.

I noticed a big difference in the performance of my bike after replacing the air filter frame...BUT I did that at the same time that I cut the air box and put in an adjustable fuel screw, so I can't tell you exactly how much of that change was only from the new air filter frame.

Heck, maybe I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Heck, maybe I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Worst that could happen is you have to buy a new screen. :) I think it was $35 or $40. Motosport.com has an OEM parts finder with prices.

yea im almost done with all the CCC mods i just gotta get an R header and ill be done but i think im gonna go pull that screen out right now

yea im almost done with all the CCC mods i just gotta get an R header and ill be done but i think im gonna go pull that screen out right now

Did you ever get an R cam? I read somewhere that you really want to pair the R exhaust with the R cam. I'm gonna either leave the stock exhaust or go with an FMF full setup...I think. Either way, I'm getting a Hotcam Stage 1 eventually.

Worst that could happen is you have to buy a new screen.

Careful.......this may not be the worst that can happen but it's pretty bad.

I did this once.

When you cut the screen, you create hundreds of tiny loose steel wire segments that are inside the 'clean air zone'. A few of these shake loose over time. Probably most pass out the exhaust but if any get stuck between the piston and cylinder they will scratch the shit out of it.

I noticed that little wires kept dropping out and it worried me, so I 'rolled' the screen edge, in hopes to contain the pieces. Even after I was CERTAIN that it could shed no more, I'd 'wash it' one last time in a big basin, and sure enough, MORE wires showed up in the bottom. It went on and on and on. Eventually it depleted, but.........??

I decided that buying a screenless cage is the way to go next time.

Tom

Careful.......this may not be the worst that can happen but it's pretty bad.

I did this once.

When you cut the screen, you create hundreds of tiny loose steel wire segments that are inside the 'clean air zone'. A few of these shake loose over time. Probably most pass out the exhaust but if any get stuck between the piston and cylinder they will scratch the shit out of it.

I noticed that little wires kept dropping out and it worried me, so I 'rolled' the screen edge, in hopes to contain the pieces. Even after I was CERTAIN that it could shed no more, I'd 'wash it' one last time in a big basin, and sure enough, MORE wires showed up in the bottom. It went on and on and on. Eventually it depleted, but.........??

I decided that buying a screenless cage is the way to go next time.

Tom

I think you did it differently than I meant. You can remove the ENTIRE metal frame, screen and all, and just leave the plastic air filter frame like a normal air filter would have. Don't cut the screen out of the metal frame and then leave the metal frame in the plastic one. All you need is the plastic one.

Twin air makes a special backfire filter just for what you guys are talking about. Supposed to keep the filter from catching on fire in case of a backfire

http://shop.twinairusa.com/scripts/silverware.exe/catalog@d:/elevclients/twinairusa/ELEVATOR.FXP?SEARCH_TREE01=BACKFIREFILTERS&SEARCH_TREE02=MOTORCYCLE&SEARCH_TREE03=HONDA

What is it like? I mean, is it just a plastic frame with a more flame resistant filter than stock? I don't find a pic or description on the site.

Wondering.....does type of filter oil perhaps affect the likelihood of ignition?

Anyone EVER hear of a filter fire??

Yea i got an R cam in it but im tryin to find an R head pipe i already got a muffler

Agreed, I ran mine with the top of the airbox cut off and the backfire screen removed for about a month before getting an after market air filter. And like others said, it just pops out. :) And the whole catching on fire issue, is really not one to lose sleep over. Just be aware, and maybe carry a little can of that "Cold Fire" in your pack just in case.