Sign in to follow this  

Looking to get the 08 505sxf help please

Hey guys looking over the advantages and such to the ktm's etc.. I know this is the ktm forum but for those of you that left the JAP 4 and now ride ktm's your thoughts is what I want..

Am interested in this bike because the talk about them has been great and really i just want a bike I can race the piss out of and not really worry about to much..

IM 6'3'' 195 and have been riding my whole life for fun... so how is the maintenance, and motor on these babies? reason i ask is because a friend had a ktm and it was a nightmare for sure...

ok also why if this bike really works so amazingly from what ive read why arent they making a 09?

thanks

I still ride Honda's on a very regular basis. I "switched" to an '08 505SXF at the insistance of my dealer (who is multiline Honda/Polaris/KTM). There were a few reasons for the switch. #1 is size: I am 6'4", 270+. A normal 450 is just not enough. I ride them regularly and they just don't do it for me. #2 is price: my dealer was able to put together a smokin deal on the KTM to get me to ride it. I would have had to spend more money to get a Honda (and this did not include the Athena 490 kit I would have installed as soon as I uncrated the Honda).

So far I have had no maintenance issues other than standard wear and tear. The stock chain is junk, but what stock chain on any MX bike is really any good? This bike also likes to eat rear tires. I will be replacing the rings in a little while. This seems to be the only wear item in the motor. They are actually pretty easy to replace. Unlike the RFS motor, I think this twin cam motor is easier to work on than a Honda Unicam engine. My valves haven't moved.

The brakes are phenomenal. Way better than ANY other bike out there other than a factory Yamaha with a radial mount caliper.

Motor wise, no stock 450 can touch a 505. Not a one. And don't listen to anyone who tries to tell you otherwise. I have ridden them all and this thing is tops. You need some serious mods to a 450 or a big bore kit to keep up with a 505 in acceleration provided you have traction. This thing is an absolute rocket from the bottom all the way to the rev limiter. I have put a switch on the bike so I can change the ignition map on the fly and I can admit that according to the stopwatch I am about 3 seconds a lap faster with the "traction" setting over the "power" setting, but the "power" setting is so much fun I usually just leave it there.

My suspension is still stone stock other than clicker settings. I will be throwing a stiffer rear spring in it to balance the suspesion better, but it is completely ridable in stock trim (I race Vet Expert).

The KTM handles differently than a Japanese bike. I guess the best way for me to describe it from my point of view is that you steer a Japanese bike with the front wheel and you steer the KTM with the rear. Sounds kind of funny, but that is the best way for me to describe it. I should note that I am normally riding on burned out hardpacked tracks. Loam doesn't exist where I live!

Two of my friends that ride Honda's are switching to the KTM after riding mine, so it must not be a bad bike. One of them has already put the money down for an '09 505 XC-F. The other is not sure if he is going to go with a 505 or a 300, but he will be getting one of the two next year. In the meantime, he is putting a cam and some headwork into his Honda 450 to try to keep up with my KTM.

I am not sure yet about the dropping of the 505 SX-F for 2009. I was talking to my dealer about it on Sunday and KTM cut his order of 300XC-Ws stating that there was a shortage (he will still be getting the 300XCs that were ordered), but he still has two '09 505 SX-Fs on order that are scheduled for November delivery. If they do drop the 505 SX-F, it is not all that big of a deal as there will still be a 505 XC-F. If I would have had the choice at the time I would have gotten an XC-F anyway so I could have had a 5 speed instead of the 4 speed tranny. But that wasn't an option at the time.

The best analogy for the 505 that I have heard came from one of my buddies last weekend. We both spent years racing KX500s in motocross. He described the 505 as a modern KX500 that handles, has good suspension, and has as much if not more power. Basically it is the bike the two of us have always wanted.

look, if you want the truth about this bike from a non biased rider, i am your guy. I am a true Honda guy who never would ride let alone own a KTM a few months ago. Let me bottom line this for you. This bike is the best kept secret in the industry. I bought the 505xcf after putting major thought and time into it and couldnt be happier. Ive ridden/owned them all. I am that guy. But, i can tell you this thing just rips, handles awesome, great suspension (so far), ect...so far, only one of my friends has ridden it because the rest of my buddies dont want to face the truth. Instead, they see it from behind! not kidding. I can now lead or pass my buddies on the track most of the time.

wow really sounds like a great bike... not really sure about the rear steering you are talking about but i guess that will come with riding it... also is everything the same on the XCF vs.SX-F? only the tranny? do you really need another gear? Ive heard the mx guys are actually gearing them taller.. Thoughts

whats the advantages of having the 5speed really..

wow really sounds like a great bike... not really sure about the rear steering you are talking about but i guess that will come with riding it... also is everything the same on the XCF vs.SX-F? only the tranny? do you really need another gear? Ive heard the mx guys are actually gearing them taller.. Thoughts

whats the advantages of having the 5speed really..

first off, there will be no SX in 09. I wouldn't get the SX if for no other reason than resale value. Also, why not get the XCF? same bike with 5th gear. Also, the SX has stiffer fork springs, thats it. The XCF will appeal to more than just the moto crowd. I have only ridden mine on the moto track, but i will race it in the desert once the summer break is over. If you ever sale it you will wish you had the 5 speed.

just because of resale? so everything motor and weight wise is the same? i guess i better look on ktm website....

also anyone know about the adjustable handlebar ignition mapping switch?

Know what (about the Switch) ?? The XCF is somewhat heavier than the SXF modell. More stuff in the gear box,heavier flywheel etc. add some extra weight to it. According KTM specs the -09 505 XCF weighs around 4 kilograms (roughly 9 lbs ) more than the -09 (or -07 & -08) 450 SXF. The -07/-08 505 SXF weight is exactly the same as the 450 SXF. :)

Know what (about the Switch) ?? The XCF is somewhat heavier than the SXF modell. More stuff in the gear box,heavier flywheel etc. add some extra weight to it. According KTM specs the -09 505 XCF weighs around 4 kilograms (roughly 9 lbs ) more than the -09 (or -07 & -08) 450 SXF. The -07/-08 505 SXF weight is exactly the same as the 450 SXF. :)

Maybe it is not this way in your area of the world, but for us in the States both the XC-F and SX-F have the same flywheel (p/n 77039005000). I am putting on a heavier flywheel on my SX-F for the added lighting capability. If I don't like it, I have two friends that are buying '09 505s after riding mine and I know one of them will take it and I will get a HO stator instead.

I made my own switch for the ignition mapping. I had a waterproof switch housing from one of my race sleds left laying around and it fits very nicely and is really easy to use. Up for "power," down for "traction."

also the Carbs are different xcf comes with a 39 and sxf comes with a 41 i mean I guess then ill just try to find a used one or a left over one from 08 because resale isnt the most important to me.. a great moto bike is..

what is proper break in on these ktm's

also the Carbs are different xcf comes with a 39 and sxf comes with a 41 i mean I guess then ill just try to find a used one or a left over one from 08 because resale isnt the most important to me.. a great moto bike is..

what is proper break in on these ktm's

don't trust everything you read on ktm's websites, plus make sure you're on the proper country or else there may be differences also. Pretty sure my carb is the same on my xcf as on the sxf's. Anyway either bike you will love with lots of power to gear taller if you like. I ride everywhere so the xcf fit the bill for me. Last summer in the garage I had my 05 crf450, 07 yzf450, 04 service honda af cr500, and in the fall my 08 505 xcf. I had the crf set up for the hills / trails, the af500 was my dunes bike, and the yzf was my main track bike. After the first month on my xcf I sold the other three because this one did it all better than the other three. After mx tech susp. and akrapovic exhaust it's one awsome ride.

Maybe it is not this way in your area of the world, but for us in the States both the XC-F and SX-F have the same flywheel (p/n 77039005000). I am putting on a heavier flywheel on my SX-F for the added lighting capability. If I don't like it, I have two friends that are buying '09 505s after riding mine and I know one of them will take it and I will get a HO stator instead.

I made my own switch for the ignition mapping. I had a waterproof switch housing from one of my race sleds left laying around and it fits very nicely and is really easy to use. Up for "power," down for "traction."

O.K. For -09 the Euro 505 XCF (i don´t have a glue about the U.S specs though) will have a heavier flywheel. That´s one reason for the weight difference between the SXF/XCF.

I'm told the heavier flywheel only gets you an extra 20 watts of charging capability. Not really enough to run lighting....

Just something that I saw on KTMtalk.... not sure if it is reality.

My 08 505xcf is the North American one and it does have a heavier flywheel than the sxf and a heavier duty starter / battery system. If you ride trails you will love the heavier flywheel, in comb with the powerful motor it just doesn't stall easily. It just keeps pulling over logs and dead fall and up ledges.

My 08 505xcf is the North American one and it does have a heavier flywheel than the sxf and a heavier duty starter / battery system. If you ride trails you will love the heavier flywheel, in comb with the powerful motor it just doesn't stall easily. It just keeps pulling over logs and dead fall and up ledges.

Up in Canada you guys may be getting an EU version that we don't get. As a case in point try to walk into a Honda dealership in the States and ask to see a CBR125RR and laugh at the blank stare of the salesman.

My SXF came with the 4ah battery already installed. You should get both the 3ah and 4ah battery with an SXF, you only get the 4ah one with the XCF.

Having ridden another friends 505 XCF back to back with my SXF there is no difference at all in the flywheels.

My dealer was talking to the KTM rep when ordering his personal 505XCF yesterday. He only ordered it only after the guys in Amherst assured him the motor was identical to my bike other than the transmission gears. But I guess we will know for sure in a few weeks, as he is going to also put in the Trail Tech heavy flywheel. So when I can have both stock flywheels in hand I'll weigh 'em and see if there is any difference.

I'm told the heavier flywheel only gets you an extra 20 watts of charging capability. Not really enough to run lighting....

Just something that I saw on KTMtalk.... not sure if it is reality.

Trail Tech promised me that the flywheel would run my 8" HID (also a Trail Tech) without any issues, so we will see. The guy my dealer talked to said the flywheel was worth 35 watts for lighting: JUST enough if that is truly the results.

When I get the flywheel mounted up I will check to see if the battery is charging, discharging, or neutral with the light on and the bike over 2000 rpm.

Trail Tech promised me that the flywheel would run my 8" HID (also a Trail Tech) without any issues, so we will see. The guy my dealer talked to said the flywheel was worth 35 watts for lighting: JUST enough if that is truly the results.

When I get the flywheel mounted up I will check to see if the battery is charging, discharging, or neutral with the light on and the bike over 2000 rpm.

Please post back with your results or feel free to drop me a PM. I'm considering throwing a small fan on mine and 35 watts would do the trick...

I know my carb is the same as on the 450 sxf, I was told the flywheel was heavier when I bought it but salesman don't always know the exact details. Maybe all the 08's came with a little heavier flywheels sx and xcf?

I know my carb is the same as on the 450 sxf, I was told the flywheel was heavier when I bought it but salesman don't always know the exact details. Maybe all the 08's came with a little heavier flywheels sx and xcf?

Maybe. I do know that in riding a 505 XCF back to back with my 505 SXF last night there was no difference at all to either motor. Other than the gears those motors felt like clones.

either way man i really want one of these bikes... Im mainly centered on the sxf because all i do is race or ride tracks. I raced a crf450 two seasons ago and went back to my 2stroke just because its paid for and sitting in my garage.. I know im not as fast on it as the 450 and seeing this bike just makes me want it more..

what is for those of you who know or bought one used because they'r not making a 09 a good price for a used one...

I find one with 1 hour on it and some stuff for 7k ish??? thoughts