Sign in to follow this  

TXT Edition/PRO differences

How much difference is there between my 2003 TXT Edition and the PRO models that followed? I understand that the the PRO has a reconfigured engine and tranny(lowered), but is there much difference in punch?

My 2003 280 Edition is probably a little tired, but I am trying to figure out wether my next GasGas should be a 280 or 300. I would expect a little increase in power just going to a newer 280, but I had heard that the Edition is a little tamer. Any thoughts?

I own a 02 Edition and have ridden all of the pro's from each year. To me, there is a huge difference in the bikes, certainly weight, but also suspension, brakes, and power. Since you seem to mostly be interested in the motors, I'll give you my opinion on that.

My 280 edition - as you know, very good low end power - LOTS of flywheel. Great for traction, but really hinders how quick the bike will rev and also how high it will rev. The bike just stops accelerating fairly early in the rpm range. (even with new reeds) However, I think its an outstanding novice motor and its the best part of the bike. Combine that with excellent durability and there are a great starter bike.

You didnt mention the 250 - but dont over look it. They are the top selling motor in Europe for a good reason.

Setup differences aside:

250 pro - Needs a 10 tooth CS sprocket. Very crisp low end, but lacks the flywheel feel of the edition. funny thing is it will pull like mad (smoothly and quickly if that makes sense) and always seems to get better traction somehow than anything else ive ridden. The mid range is strong and smooth and the motor has simply fantastic over rev. It doesn't run out of gear like my edition does - just keeps accelerating. 250 pros seem to ride lighter than the 280/300 do. FWIW: In a drag race - the 250 pro would out pull a 280 edition by a fair margin.

280 - alittle sharper off the bottom than the 250 with a huge mid range surge. It has much more over rev than say the 280 edition, but falls off faster than the electric 250. Much more of a handfull in the mid range, but a real hoot on big, high traction rocks. I think the mid range of this bike is better suited to advanced riders. The 280 pro would smoke a 280 edition.

300 - I have spent the least amount of time on 300's. I know there are a few others here with the 300's so look to them for there experience. I can say - They have alot of power everywhere. I cant really comment on the over rev cause im usually wimping out by 4K rpm on these. I find my self fighting the bike alittle (and it wins everytime) and feel I would need to spend more time to ride it right. 90% of the novice riders I know that had one, did better when they went to a smaller bike. The very best riders I know love them. They typically ride them in a higher gear and work the clutch like a violin to obtain insaine traction and instant momentum. I hate them for that ability.... I think this is the motor of choice for anyone who lives at higher altitudes.

The 02 280pro's had a high compression head and a real beast. Not great in slippery conditions.

Make sure you kickstart a pro correctly - engauge it 1st before snapping through. If you treat it like your edition, you could break the KS pawl... (just ask 2-ply)

If your considering a new one, ask your dealer about the summer sale leftovers. (I think the 250's are gone as europe snaps them up quick) I really like the feel of the 08geometry - but there all good. If not, you can get good used 06 280 for around $3800-$3900.

So I hope this helps, but you really should try to get a ride (in some familar sections) on a pro of your choice if at all possible.

hes absolutely right on i would get the 250 thats all you will ever need,if your a middle aged novice,there light plenty of power,hell a 200 would be good,if i buy a new 2-stroke it would be a 250,but im leaning towards a four stroke myself

Ive always been somewhat underwelmed with the power from the 200's (really a 172), but I hear the s3 225 kit is a fantastic upgrade. Im trying to convice my father to buy a 125 raga racing and put a 225 kit on it just to be different. Not sure he'll go for it as he loves the 250.

What 4t are you leaning towards Fester?

The 250's deffintaly do feel lighter! (for really no real reason I think)

My friend has an '05 250 for sale :):D:worthy: (may be an '06, but I'm not sure- Laser, what year is little Dave's Gas Gas that's for sale?).

I also agree with what Laser said about the pulling. I'v never been able to put my finger on the difference between my friends 250's which I've riden quite often and my 280; the 280 hits, tries to throw you, then does no more accelerating, while the 250 is smoother, and it keeps on pulling the entire way up.

im leaning for the scorpa,i have a garage full of yamaha enduro and mx bikes and they just dont break,also a friend of mines son is sponsered by ryan young and is also a dealer.i think 4ts are in our future,like mx is now

The 250's deffintaly do feel lighter! (for really no real reason I think)

My friend has an '05 250 for sale :):D:worthy: (may be an '06, but I'm not sure- Laser, what year is little Dave's Gas Gas that's for sale?).

If he's selling his current GG 250, I believe its a 07. (Black frame)

No, it's not either of his '07's or '08's (unfortunatly :) )

It is still the chrome frame- I think it's '05.

It's also a Raga by the way.

Im not sure then - my dad probably knows. Tell him he can put it on our website if he wants. I still personally prefer the chrome frames. Although the new red ones are nice as well. Did he do a 250 conversion on the Raga? I know a local guy who always wanted to do that.

I own a 02 Edition and have ridden all of the pro's from each year. To me, there is a huge difference in the bikes, certainly weight, but also suspension, brakes, and power. Since you seem to mostly be interested in the motors, I'll give you my opinion on that.

So I hope this helps, but you really should try to get a ride (in some familar sections) on a pro of your choice if at all possible.

Thanks for the comparison, that really helps. There are no Trials orginazations in Alaska, and darn few other trials riders that I have found, so I am limited on trying other machines.

My interest in the motors is primary to selection, I know a newer machine will have greatly improved brakes/suspension. I am fortunate- I am the weak link in the system and my present bike has everything I need to continue to learn. I just recognize that at some point I would be better off buying newer than putting money into my older machines, and it seems parts wise, getting into the >'03 PRO will make getting parts easier as the years go by.

Fester- Point well taken on the 250- I will consider that! At my level lots of power isnt an issue- I suspect the less power the more I will learn about technique.

Thanks all!

Im not sure then - my dad probably knows. Tell him he can put it on our website if he wants. I still personally prefer the chrome frames. Although the new red ones are nice as well. Did he do a 250 conversion on the Raga? I know a local guy who always wanted to do that.

I'll pass that on, I'm sure he will appreciate it. Yes he did do the conversion to it, I guess from a 300? I can also tell you that that bike has the lightest clutch pull that I have ever felt. I WANT IT! :)

I also prefere the chrome frames. As you said though, the new white/red looks pretty sweet too!

Gandalf....what type of riding do you do? If you woods ride, I wouldn't get near a pro model. The Edition is a much more bullet-proof bike for the time put on a bike from woods riding. I personally own a 2002 Edition that I bought new and I woods ride it. The pro has wierd gearing too, transmission is smaller( that alone scares me) I talked to a guy I bought a bike from and he said at the world round they were working on the Gas Gas Pro's in the pits far more than any other make. They are the stuff if you are serious trials rider, but for a weekend rider in the woods, I would recommend about any other trials bike.

Gandalf....what type of riding do you do? If you woods ride, I wouldn't get near a pro model. The Edition is a much more bullet-proof bike for the time put on a bike from woods riding. I personally own a 2002 Edition that I bought new and I woods ride it. The pro has wierd gearing too, transmission is smaller( that alone scares me) I talked to a guy I bought a bike from and he said at the world round they were working on the Gas Gas Pro's in the pits far more than any other make. They are the stuff if you are serious trials rider, but for a weekend rider in the woods, I would recommend about any other trials bike.

I hear what you are saying. I am just a begginner at trials but recognize that this is what I want to develop towards. I use the bikes as an exercise tool when its too cold to ride- balancing and learning to hop. I do some trail riding, and there is no local club- so competition is not a factor. but I love the balance and control aspect of trials and will continue to learn trials techniques to the best of my ability.

The main reason I am considering an upgrade as I know how much money I can throw at something like this. The Pro seems to the next evolution in bikes as far as parts supply and such. By the time I am done going through this Edition, I suspect I will drop at least $1500(tires, suspension upgrade, yada yada). I just didnt know if (by upgrading) I would be better off maintenance but also learning wise. If its anything like playing guitar- you can learn much faster on a finer guitar.

Sounds like both my trials bikes were good choices for a begginner:applause:

I think that to some degree that's true. If your bike is way to old/heavy/whatever then you may just end up getting too frustrated trying to learn some of the more difficult techniques. So if you're sure that you enjoy it enough to srtick with it, then yes, I would upgrade. That being said, The bike that you have really isn't TOO bad. You could probably keep going with it if you wanted to. Your call.

the Edition is bullet proof and if your off in the vast wilderness, certainly not a bad choice. However, You can upgrade it all you want and its still 15 to 20 lbs heavier than the pro. I would love a set of Zokes on my Edition, but its just not worth it IMO. Im selling mine and will be getting a used 08 250 pro this winter now that I can appreciate the difference. (Im hoping alot of people migrate to the new lighter frame 09's and the used 08's are a bargin...LOL)

Not that pros are not w/o there faults, but Ive been at a few WTC rounds - was at the TN round in April and EVRYONE is working on there bikes so one should take that above point with a grain of salt.. Most of the top bikes have very specialized setups and if your not tweaking everything you can to optimize the ride, your losing ground to the competition. Heck - Bou and Fuji had a lap top and were changing Ign/Fuel maps on the practice hill prior to the event - (how cool is that?)