Sign in to follow this  

Best 140 street tire available?

Hey guys,

I need some help here. Just put supermoto wheels on my buddies XR400. The problem is that I don't think we can fit a 150 on the rear and we are stuck using 140's. So far the only one that I know of is the stock D208's that come on the DRZ. Is there ANYTHING better than this?

We need something super sticky, and not made for the dirt at all.

Ryan

I would go with the pilot powers too, I don't know of a better 140 out there, anyone else know of one?

Use the 150 Michelin Pilot Powers on the rear. Way better tire than the stock 140 and it will fit just fine. 150 is the smallest rear Pilot Power no 140.

Thanks for the replies guys, but as I said, it's for my buddies XR400, not my DRZ. We can't fit a 150 on the rear of his bike so we are stuck using a 140. Does anyone know of a good 140 that we can use that is better than the D208?

He is running 17's on it. We sent the stock hubs out and had 17 inch excel rims laced to them. I have never heard of GBC, would like to take a look at them. Anyone know of a distributor?

Remember, not all tires of the same width designation are the same. A 140 from one company may be as wide as a 140 from another and vice versa. This is even true from tire to tire from the same manufacturer with different model tires.

Unfortunately, unless you have someone with the same rim and tire you are interested in fitting and measuring with a caliper, there it no way to make a hard and fast rule about what will fit and what will not.

I assume the size issue is swingarm clearance related. That throws another can O' worms in the mix as swingarms are rarely two parallel arms as they tend to narrow somewhat as they approach the pivot. So another measurement you will need is from the axle centerline to the widest part of the tire.

Hey William,

We don't have any problems with swing arm clearance, it's the chain. If a 150 could fit in there, the edge of the tire would be about the width of a hair away from the chain. We just want to avoid shredding the tire up with the chain. He is basically running a stock DRZ-SM on the rear. He has a 4.25 Excel rim, and he is using my old D208's that came with my bike. I can run 150's on mine with no problem, but his XR400 is a bit closer.

Ryan

Dish the wheel a little, it is no biggie. Loosen the left 1/2 turn, tight tthe right 1/2 turn.

No matter what you do, even with a 140, chain whip (side to side) and youi'll want a guide on it like on a SM.

William,

So just to make sure, you're saying to offset the wheel a bit? I have read about that on here before. So when you say loosen left, you mean loosen the left side spokes that are on the chain side, then tighten up the other side correct? Approximately how much will this offset the wheel, and is it ok to do it with the wheel still mounted on the bike (on a stand of course)?

Really appreciate the help! There aren't really any good 140's available and was hoping there was some way we could get a 150 on his bike. Tired of his excuses as to why he is slower than I am! :)

Ryan

if your runing the DRZ and he only has your old D208's on a XR400 it is a no brainer

those tires are only good for burn-outs

I had the threads showing after 2,000 miles ( on the frunt tire )

William,

So just to make sure, you're saying to offset the wheel a bit? I have read about that on here before. So when you say loosen left, you mean loosen the left side spokes that are on the chain side, then tighten up the other side correct? Approximately how much will this offset the wheel, and is it ok to do it with the wheel still mounted on the bike (on a stand of course)?

Really appreciate the help! There aren't really any good 140's available and was hoping there was some way we could get a 150 on his bike. Tired of his excuses as to why he is slower than I am! :)

Ryan

Yup. Let the air out of the tire. Loosen the spokes on the left side (sprocket) 1/4 turn, starting at the valve (so you know where you started) or put a piece of tape on the first spoke. Then on the right (brake side), tighten each spoke 1/4 turn. Check the clearance. You should of picked up a few MM. You may have to do it more than once. Do it in small increments like this. You want to slowly shift the rim to the right. Not a bad idea to also check for true after each set of loosening and tightening. When you have moved it onough, tap each spoke (assuming you do not have a spoke torque wrench) and listen for a "clean C". Any that sound dull, tighten slightly. Any that have a too high a pitch may have to be loosened a little as long as it does not let the wheel out of true.

A DRZ SM rear is offset about 10mm.