Sign in to follow this  

Lighter flywheel

Hello all ... another lurker that has actually gotten an account :-)

I recently bought an 2007 DR-Z SM and i LOVE IT ! :D

Already bought some stuff from Forrest at WheelingCycleSupply ... great guy and perfect service. Got my stuff delivered in Holland in about 1,5 week and customs gave me no "problems" :)

Now i'm looking to buying the lighter flywheel he offers for the DR-Z (just type flywheel on his site). I'm wondering, is there a walk-through in how to do this mod ?

And ofcourse: did anyone already do this mod, and if so: is it a good mod ???

Thanks !

Pretty easy though you must have the correct tools. You will have to have a flywheel puller, a 26 and possibly a 27mm offset wrench or in impact gun to remove the old flywheel. Then you will need a strap wrench to hold the new one on as I believe they have no provision to hold any other way.

In a recent post, there was a discussion about loctitiing the stator/starter clutch bolts. That write up will guide you right up to R&R of the flywheel.

I assume you already did the FCR and some other mods as a flywheel is sort of down on the list of 'bang for the buck'.

Thanks William1 ! No, i have no FCR yet ... i do however have a open exhaust (LeoVince X3), about to do the 3x3 mod with K&N (is ordered) and in 3 weeks i will have have the bike dynoed ...

I know that the FCR is a lot of horses for the money, but than again: the flywheel is "only" 139USD and i like the theoretical characteristics the bike is supposed to get with this mod ... supposed to be snappier on the gas, and easier to wheelie in 1st and 2nd gear ...

Not going to make that huge a difference. It is really a small incremental change. It will make gear shifting faster as there will be less reciprocating mass to speed up or slow down when the clutch is pulled in. But in gear, with the clutch out, you will not notice much, if any difference (perhaps a little less engine braking). You still have the rear wheel acting as yet another very heavy flywheel between the piston and the ground.