Sign in to follow this  

Oil analysis results in!

Ha! What a co-inky dinky,I just posted about sending the sample in and the results just came in my email! I thought the paper said it would take a few weeks. It says:

TIM: No problems showed up in the initial sample from this Honda. All wear was very close to the averages for this

type of engine, which is a good indication of normal wearing parts. You'll probably find that wear metals drop lower in

the next sample, as wear-in progresses on this new bike. The universal averages show normal wear after about 2200

miles on the oil. Insolubles were low at 0.2%, showing no excessive oil oxidation or blow-by. No fuel dilution or

moisture was found. The TBN read 8.0, lots of active additive remaining. Try running 1500-2000 miles next.

Well there you have it, everything A-OK. Now, I ride either all throttle or no throttle, did Dave's mods and Q2. 160 main jet. Never saw over 250 degrees oil temp. Looks like Rotella Dino is good!:)

PS, Even with the 160 main jet, fuel was 1/4 of the acceptable amount and both the flash point and viscosities were near the top of the acceptable range.:)

Thanks for sharing the good info. :D

I think it's funny how Blackstone says you could try going as far as 2000mi on your plain old petroleum oil when so many people on here start biting their nails at 1000mi on synthetic.

It's like I have been saying over and over and over again, petroleum oils are leaps and bounds better than they were 20 years ago. :)

very good to know.

1k oil changes always seemed kinda close to me.

Now i'm itching to send a rotella synth sample, but I just put fresh stuff in after the rebuild break in.

More incentive to get out and ride I guess.

I think the basic analysis was about 22 dollars and it was about 8 extra for the TBN analysis. A little pricey, but not something I plan on doing every oil change. It served the purpose for me which is affirming that the cheap Rotella and 1k change intervals are more than sufficient. Maybe I'll send in another sample at 50k:p