Sign in to follow this  

whats the difference? WR, YZ, TTR (newbie)

i am new to riding and looking to buy a used bike but have no idea where to start. i will be riding mostly woods and open fields. i am 6'1" 230lbs. what would suit me best.

TTR's are more of a trail rider/getting into the sport kind of bike, though a TTR230 (biggest TTR) might be a bit small for you.

A YZ (2-stroke) or YZF (four-stroke) is a motocross bike. That's not to say you can't trail ride them, but the engines are quite a bit faster, the gearing isn't optimized for trails, and the suspension is going to be set for a motocross track (generally speaking).

The WR is sort of a cross between the TTR and YZ/F models. Basically it's the YZ/F model tuned down a bit for trails/woods riding. Has wide ratio gearing (hence WR).

You might want to try and find a good WR250F if you can and once you get more comfortable on that upgrade to the WR450F.

Hope this helps!

A TTR250 or DRZ250/400 would be a good bike for you to get started on.

Once your skills advance don't ever underestimate the ability of a MX bike converted for trail use (YZ or YZ-F). For now, I'd say either the TTR or DRZ or KLX bikes but a WR250F or CRF250X would even work given your size.

If you don't mind the two stroke bike then the KDX200/220 is also a good bike for your size.

TTR's are more of a trail rider/getting into the sport kind of bike, though a TTR230 (biggest TTR) might be a bit small for you.

A YZ (2-stroke) or YZF (four-stroke) is a motocross bike. That's not to say you can't trail ride them, but the engines are quite a bit faster, the gearing isn't optimized for trails, and the suspension is going to be set for a motocross track (generally speaking).

The WR is sort of a cross between the TTR and YZ/F models. Basically it's the YZ/F model tuned down a bit for trails/woods riding. Has wide ratio gearing (hence WR).

You might want to try and find a good WR250F if you can and once you get more comfortable on that upgrade to the WR450F.

Hope this helps!

This sums it up well.

For you I would also have to say go with the TTR or a WR250F. Normally I would say go with a TTR for someone that hasn't ridden before, but since you are tall and over 200 lbs the TTR may be a bit small. I would steer away from the YZF, as it is more aggressive, and given that it is not meant for trail riding like the other two, that will only make it harder to handle.

This sums it up well.

For you I would also have to say go with the TTR or a WR250F. Normally I would say go with a TTR for someone that hasn't ridden before, but since you are tall and over 200 lbs the TTR may be a bit small. I would steer away from the YZF, as it is more aggressive, and given that it is not meant for trail riding like the other two, that will only make it harder to handle.

plus no kick stand :D

LOL :)

plus no kick stand :D

LOL :)

Any MX bike supplied without a kickstand can be outfitted one from many retailers.:worthy:

Nevertheless, a YZ-F or YZ would be extreme for a newbie.

230 pounds on a wr250. i dont know about that, you would get board with the power pretty fast i think