Sign in to follow this  

DR650SE Diode question

While working on my bike, I blew one of the diodes in the harness. This particular set of diodes (two of them) are part of the neutral-switch/side-stand/clutch-lever safety circuitry that does not allow the starter to run if one of the switches is not activated.

The dealer said it will take 7 to 10 days to order the part. I went ahead and replaced the diodes with two diodes from Radioshack.

With the diodes out of the connector, starter will not run and the neutral light will also not go on. When I replaced the diodes, I measured the voltage drop across the good diode and replaced bot of the diodes with similar diodes.

Now the neutral light works on my bike with the replacement diodes but the starter button does not do anything. Before taking things apart to see what switch does not work properly, can anyone tell me what can get damaged if one or both diodes were damaged? I looked at the schematic and it does not look anything should be affected but somehow something is.

Thanks in advance,

-Fariborz

You can eliminate both diodes if you eliminate the side stand switch. There is a great thread on this on page 14 under "Electrical connectors and plug source".

At the risk of stating the obvious, diodes are direction sensitive. They have to be wired in in the correct direction. If you switch them end for end, they work differently. I'll take a quick look at the schematic anbd see if i can figure out anything else.

Will it crank with the side stand UP and the clutch pulled in? This mode doesn't use either of the two diodes. If it won't do this then you have another problem.

If the neutral light works, then at least one of the two diodes is installed in the correct direction.

there is a relay at the rear of the batt. that in the circuit. there is a thread about removing the relay and run a jumper. your relay might be bad.

Thanks Ga-Thump, that thread was very informative.

GrandPa, I made sure the diodes were put on the right orientation. I have not yet checked with the sidestand up and clutch lever pulled in but will try that.

Bergman, if I short the two power terminals on the starter relay (battery to starter) the starter works. I removed the connector from the relay and discovered I did not have differential voltage between the control terminals of the relay, meaning something in the safety circuitry was preventing the power to be supplied to the relay. There are only few switched and two relays that control the power to the starter and one of them is not working right. I am sure I can eventually figure it out. My only concern was if anything (i.e. the CDI unit) was damaged because of the blown diodes.

-Fariborz

Hi,

My DR650 twice has not started in the morning (starter wouldn't even turn over) and today, after not starting right away, died on me a number of times. One of the times when it wouldn't start I noticed that the neutral light wouldn't come on. The guy I bought if from said he did the kickstand fix, I guess I have to do the "clutch fix" this weekend and try and see what he did on the "kickstand fix". Any suggestions on where to start? I'm kind of a "dumbass" when it comes to electrical.

Mark

Can anyone direct me to page 14 in "Electrical connectors and plug source", I can't find it.

Thanks,

Mark

OK my problem was very simple. I decided to check all my connectors and the first bullet connector on the clutch lever switch where it was connected the main harness was pulled out. Put it together and the bike now starts fine. BTW, the two diodes that I got from Radioshack work fine as a replacement to the diodes on the harness and cost only 80 cents compared to the $10 that the dealer wanted for them.

Hammock, look at 3rd reply in this thread:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=671713&highlight=Electrical+connectors+plug+source

-Fariborz

Thanks for the link it's exactly what I'm looking for, I think. I did the clutch safety switch yesterday and am heading from Austin to Galveston looking for a cool ocean breeze this weekend. Bike seems to be running good again. Still have lots to do before I head to Costa Rica in a couple of weeks. Might try and dig into the harness and see what the last guy did on the side stand switch soon.