Sign in to follow this  

Should I put a 450R cam in my 450X

I've re-geared my bike, Re-jetted it with a new exhaust and cut the airbox.

I am now considering putting a 450R cam in my 450X for a lil extra speed:ride:

How much more speed do you think this will provide me?

pros? cons?

Thank You!

Dezzi...

First - "you a woman?" *male grunting coming from mouth*

Second - you race D38 in the women's class? *more grunting*

If so, hats off to ya!!! Christy is the only other normally competing woman in D38 on a semi-regular basis (that I remember). And... I think it's pretty awesome to see, and witness. Especially on a 450!! :worthy::)

Now...

To your questions...

Ever rode a Cam'd 450?? They behave a bit differently, but if your an aggressive one with the throttle... there's no CONS to the change, just bigger smiles.... longer wheelies...etc.etc.

Ever ridden an 450R? ... it's more like that kind of delivery. Than the tamer X cam.

Do some searching on the R CAM in this forum, and you'll get loads of info. Loads of opinion. :D

Honda Cams

Honda 2004-2005 HRC Cam - Part # 14110-NLZ-650

Really strong to top end cam, with a decent mid range, but lacks bottom end.

Intake Lift(inches): .390

Exhaust Lift(inches): .350

Intake Lobe Center (degrees): 110

Exhaust Lobe Center (degrees): 105

Intake Duration (degrees at .040"): 260

Exhaust Duration (degrees at .040"): 260

Honda 2002 CRF450R Cam - Part # 14110-MEB-670

A good all around cam, strong bottom and really strong mid range with a decent top end as well.

Intake Lift(inches): .380"

Exhaust Lift(inches): .356"

Intake Lobe Center (degrees): 106.5

Exhaust Lobe Center (degrees): 107

Intake Duration (degrees at .040"): 249

Exhaust Duration (degrees at .040"): 272

Honda 2003 CRF450R Cam - Part # 14110-MEB-770

A good mid range cam.

Intake Lift(inches): .380"

Exhaust Lift(inches): .336"

Intake Lobe Center (degrees): 109

Exhaust Lobe Center (degrees): 109

Intake Duration (degrees at .040"): 249

Exhaust Duration (degrees at .040"): 262

Honda 2006-07 HRC & Honda 2005 CRF450R Cam - Part # 14110-NLZ-610 & 14110-MEN-670

Really strong bottom with a decent mid range.

Intake Lift(inches): .374"

Exhaust Lift(inches): .313"

Intake Lobe Center (degrees): 107

Exhaust Lobe Center (degrees): 110

Intake Duration (degrees at .040"): 248

Exhaust Duration (degrees at .040"): 268

HotCams

HotCams Stage 1 - Part #1016-1

Excellent bottom end and midrange increase.

Intake lift (inches): .378"

Exhaust lift (inches): .343"

Intake lobe center (degrees): 106.5

Exhaust lobe center (degrees): 103.5

Intake duration (degrees at 1mm): 237.5

Exhaust duration (degrees at 1mm): 268.5

HotCams Stage 2 - Part #1024-2

Excellent midrange and top end increase, good all-around cam.

Intake lift (inches): .402"

Exhaust lift (inches): .343"

Intake lobe center (degrees): 106.5

Exhaust lobe center (degrees): 103.5

Intake duration (degrees at 1mm): 248

Exhaust duration (degrees at 1mm): 268.5

HotCams Stage 3 - Part # 1056-3

More top-end power than Stage 2. Will work well for TT and big bore/strokers.

Intake lift (inches): .409"

Exhaust lift (inches): .356"

Intake lobe center (degrees): 116

Exhaust lobe center (degrees): 104.5

Intake duration (degrees at 1mm): 251.5

Exhaust duration (degrees at 1mm): 265

:D Ivan ... your such a sweatheart.

Do my homework too?! heeeheee... :)

you got any daughters my age?

Honda 2006-07 HRC & Honda 2005 CRF450R Cam - Part # 14110-NLZ-610 & 14110-MEN-670

Really strong bottom with a decent mid range.

Intake Lift(inches): .374"

Exhaust Lift(inches): .313"

Intake Lobe Center (degrees): 107

Exhaust Lobe Center (degrees): 110

Intake Duration (degrees at .040"): 248

Exhaust Duration (degrees at .040"): 268

Hey, Dezzi! You can find a good '05 R cam pretty cheap and it's perfect for D38 terrain. Every once in awhile the promoters will get technical and the '05 R cam with R header will give you plenty of grunt when you need it....Welcome to the forum. See ya out there:ride:

I love my 2002 R cam!!!!!!

It is so much stronger everywhere, I even like it better than my hotcams stage 2.

It pulls strong all the way to 5th gear, but top end is very similiar to the stage 2 cam. My jetting was a dramatic change from the stage 2 cam I had to lean it out a bit.

I was pulling a wheelie up a hill climb all the way to the top in 3rd gear.

Did I say I love it!

WOW!! Thank you both VERY much for your input.

Thank you Ivan. thats more information than I even understand. haha you are the man.

So that leads me to another question... I have been focusing on more top end for desert racing. I re-geared it to 14-48 and re-jetted it like I said previously. So my question is...

I was thinking that this

(HotCams Stage 2 - Part #1024-2

Excellent midrange and top end increase, good all-around cam.)

cam would be what I would choose because it would give me more top end and mid range.

Do you think that's a good choice for desert racing?

as for Johnny I have never seen a girl named Christy... not that I remember anyway. In fact a few times I have been the only woman racing period. Kinda lame, but I look at the overall and just try and better myself.

yes I have ridden a 450r and LOVE THEM. If that's the kind of delivery that I will get on my bike then BRING IT ON!!

Thanks for all of your help guys. I appreciate the advice.

WOW!! Thank you both VERY much for your input.

Thank you Ivan. thats more information than I even understand. haha you are the man.

So that leads me to another question... I have been focusing on more top end for desert racing. I re-geared it to 14-48 and re-jetted it like I said previously. So my question is...

I was thinking that this

cam would be what I would choose because it would give me more top end and mid range.

as for Johnny I have never seen a girl named Christy... not that I remember anyway. In fact a few times I have been the only woman racing period. Kinda lame, but I look at the overall and just try and better myself.

yes I have ridden a 450r and LOVE THEM. If that's the kind of delivery that I will get on my bike then BRING IT ON!!

I am currently running the Stage 1 HotCam and 14/48 gearing and I love it…although I have never tried the Stage 2. I ran the Stage 3 on my old 04 CRF450R with a 488 Athena Big Bore Kit and Pro Circuit GP LowBoy exhaust, but that bike felt like I was pulling my arms out of my sockets and I was always wore out by mile 70 or so. Fun for goofing around and drag racing, tiring during races.

Anyway, I installed the Stage 1 before I ever even threw a leg over my new X so I can't offer you a good comparison vs stock. All I can say is I like the bottom end pull my bike has and it has plenty of top end. I just bumped my gearing up to 15/48 for the Vegas to Reno and it pulls it no problem.

On a side note, Christy use to race just about every race out in D38 up until last year. If you look under the 2006 Women's Class final points standings you'll see her name listed.

Dan M, 74v

......So that leads me to another question... I have been focusing on more top end for desert racing. I re-geared it to 14-48 and re-jetted it like I said previously. So my question is...

I was thinking that this

If it helps... I've ridden a stock bike with minor mods and then mine... and it was a perfect blend of added power and torque with the upgraded cam... As long as you don't get too wild (like Dan mentions), I'm sure any improvement will be welcomed. I'd suggest stage 2, but only because it's "in the middle" of the three. Not too extreme, not too mild.

And Christi also as Dan mentioned used to come out and play at D38. I know she's VP over at Applied, but not sure what else she's doing as far as riding or racing... I met her long ago on a casual Baja ride with friends.

I also run 14/48 and think it's "just about right". Too high, and you work yourself in the rocks and technical sections (unless of course you run a Rekluse :worthy: )... and too low, and your wanting more on those long straights.

I am currently running the Stage 1 HotCam and 14/48 gearing and I love it…although I have never tried the Stage 2. I ran the Stage 3 on my old 04 CRF450R with a 488 Athena Big Bore Kit and Pro Circuit GP LowBoy exhaust, but that bike felt like I was pulling my arms out of my sockets and I was always wore out by mile 70 or so. Fun for goofing around and drag racing, tiring during races.

Anyway, I installed the Stage 1 before I ever even threw a leg over my new X so I can't offer you a good comparison vs stock. All I can say is I like the bottom end pull my bike has and it has plenty of top end. I just bumped my gearing up to 15/48 for the Vegas to Reno and it pulls it no problem.

On a side note, Christy use to race just about every race out in D38 up until last year. If you look under the 2006 Women's Class final points standings you'll see her name listed.

Dan M, 74v

I'd have loved to try the 450R with that kit... would have been a blast to tinker on. But I agree, that kind of torque plays havoc on your stamina during an event. Especially if it becomes super technical.

Have you GPS'd your top speed in the dirt with that 15/48 and engine combo you have?! I'd be interested. ... I don't do asphalt numbers, they are worthless for determining race speeds. Reason I ask, is I remember running 15/48 for the '06 B500 and it took a loooooong time to get up to top speed in the long sections. So much so, that by the time you got there it was time to shut it down and make a corner or rough section. Almost waiste of time and energy. Maybe the bike wasn't set up right to pull that gearing too well at the time!?

And ya... I noticed Christi didn't visit D38 too much if at all in '07. Some of us are ghosts of our own imagination (me)! :D

Dezzi... welcome to the forum!!!! And I'll see you sometime out at the D38 races (I'm more the lurker, sweep rider guy these days...) :)

Love to see the ladies on board. Word. :)

especially a satanic athiest...

And yes, the R cam in an X is great. Go with '03-06 version...