Sign in to follow this  

Northern Utah Dirt Trails????

Are there any Northern Utah riders here? Where and what type of riding do you do? Anyone ever ride up American Fork Canyon? Are there any trails for a newbie? Info please?:)

There are a bunch of people on TT that live in Northern Utah. Where do you live? As for American Fork canyon, I know that there are great trails there, but I haven't ridden there. i know that Honda World in Sandy/West Jordan (right off of I15 at 10600S) does a monthly ride that is usually in that area.

If you are really into riding trails then check out

http://www.utahatvtrails.com/

it gives a bunch of place to ride.

I know that there are a bunch of people that go at least once a week over in the Tooele/Stansbury Park/Grantisville area. Good luck and welcome to TT.

Also motoutah.com has some good boards with local riders. I rode on Saturday from Tibble Fork to Forest Lake, then up 171 over to 157 and back down 040 to Tibble Fork. Up to Forest Lake was gravel roads but 171 was a tight uphill single track and a challenge for me. Going down 040 was really fun. You can open up and get out of first gear and wind through the trees a bit.

Are there any Northern Utah riders here? Where and what type of riding do you do? Anyone ever ride up American Fork Canyon? Are there any trails for a newbie? Info please?:)

Are you new to riding or new to the area. If you are new to riding then it may be a good idea to get some practice some were other than AF canyon unless you want to stay on the main roads and eat quad dust. I live in AF and know the canyon pretty well, if you have any ?'s let me know.:D

Are you new to riding or new to the area. If you are new to riding then it may be a good idea to get some practice some were other than AF canyon unless you want to stay on the main roads and eat quad dust. I live in AF and know the canyon pretty well, if you have any ?'s let me know.:D

Oh boy, BOTH.... Just hooked up with the dirt bike this year. We have been on a few rides. We have a cabin in the Uintahs and have ventured out there. We live next door to AF so we were hoping to find a sitter for the kids and start checking it out. I lived in Utah my whole life and have missed out on the things I wanted to do when I was 20. So I'm getting a late start. Anyway last night we decided to take the kids and hike up a trail. We parked at the Summit TH and went up 157 or maybe it was 159 up past Salamader Flats, stopped where it crossed the road. I could maybe pull off 3/4 of what we hiked. I'm not into the drop offs. That scares the crap outta me. I do like the single track through the trees with a little rock hoppin and stream riden. I don't want to hang on the main roads with the ATV dust, that sucks. But from what we hiked last night I definately need more time on my seat.

Thanks for all the info.:)

Oh boy, BOTH.... Just hooked up with the dirt bike this year. We have been on a few rides. We have a cabin in the Uintahs and have ventured out there. We live next door to AF so we were hoping to find a sitter for the kids and start checking it out. I lived in Utah my whole life and have missed out on the things I wanted to do when I was 20. So I'm getting a late start. Anyway last night we decided to take the kids and hike up a trail. We parked at the Summit TH and went up 157 or maybe it was 159 up past Salamader Flats, stopped where it crossed the road. I could maybe pull off 3/4 of what we hiked. I'm not into the drop offs. That scares the crap outta me. I do like the single track through the trees with a little rock hoppin and stream riden. I don't want to hang on the main roads with the ATV dust, that sucks. But from what we hiked last night I definately need more time on my seat.

Thanks for all the info.:)

You should go up to the AF summit trailhead and ride the 252 and the 150. Stay in that general area. when you move north your going to get steeper rockier terrain. Dont go to tibble fork till you conisder yourself at least intermediate.

Stop off at any of the Local Forest Service stations and grab a travel map. it is all available online too as posted.

This opens up, in Utah County, All the AF trail system, Heber to Daniels Summit area, Hobble Creek trail system, and Mt. Nebo trail systems. Great map to have in hand.

Thanks guys. I have the map. I'm sitting here staring at all the blue dots and trail #'s. I want something that tells me trail ratings. That would help a ton. Does anyone know of any? Another question I have after hiking and coming across horses. Is it ever a problem with the passing of horses, hikers, and mountain bikes? What are the right a ways on the single track. I'm just thinking if I can't hear or see what is around the corner. I want to have fun riding not torture the hell out of myself falling off an edge and fishing my bike out of the scrub.

Phatty..... At the Summit TH does 159 run into 150 towards pine hollow? Or take the 150 toTimpooneke?

Thanks

I'm not sure what the official rule is for trail right of way, but if I was on a horse, I would be mad as hell if someone on a bike went ripping by. With that in mind, I try to be as courteous as possible to those I meet along the trail. Being nice can't hurt anything, right?

I wish the trails were directional to eliminate head on confrontation:bonk: Mountain bikes are silent but deadly and rip on the downhill. I know, I was a mt. biker for a long time. Used to like the odd/even day Mill Creek Canyon rule. But I do realize up and down the trail are both fun and necessary for returns to the trailhead. BTW I hate tight switch backs and cliff edges:cripple: gives me the willies.

Are 040 or 039 to mill canyon springs tough routes using 157 for a connecting round trip back?

to access 040 or 039 you have to cross the river, this late in the season its not bad, but in the spring I love to go watch guys try to wheelie across and get swept down stream. once you cross the river there are some pretty good climbs but for the most part they aren't too bad(keep in mind I learned how to ride a bike in that area):)

Thanks Kalvin: We went and checked out trails from timpooneke and Summit tonight. Pretty mellow stuff. Love the deep woods trail riding. Hard to believe this stuff has been in my backyard all these years. I seriously need to find a good babysitter.:)

BTW:Sleadhead is my Hub in case you see us double up on questions and answers.

If you haven't already done so I would buy a year long access pass, if you go up there as much as I do, you will come out a head in the long run.:):D:worthy:

Thanks guys. I have the map. I'm sitting here staring at all the blue dots and trail #'s. I want something that tells me trail ratings. That would help a ton. Does anyone know of any? Another question I have after hiking and coming across horses. Is it ever a problem with the passing of horses, hikers, and mountain bikes? What are the right a ways on the single track. I'm just thinking if I can't hear or see what is around the corner. I want to have fun riding not torture the hell out of myself falling off an edge and fishing my bike out of the scrub.

Phatty..... At the Summit TH does 159 run into 150 towards pine hollow? Or take the 150 toTimpooneke?

Thanks

I'm sorry. I was holding the map wrong. So I was all messed up and turned around. We actually parked at the Pine Hollow TH and hiked 175 into 047 and stopped and turned around up past Salamander Flats. Then last night we hiked the 150 up to Pine Hollow into 047 down 216 and back into 150. Very mellow, my level of riding, just needs it to be a bit longer. So more venturing out I guess. Now that I've got the map turned the right way I think we'll find a lot of fun rides.:)

to access 040 or 039 you have to cross the river, this late in the season its not bad, but in the spring I love to go watch guys try to wheelie across and get swept down stream. once you cross the river there are some pretty good climbs but for the most part they aren't too bad(keep in mind I learned how to ride a bike in that area):)

You can actually get to 039 via 041 at the dam. At the first 4-way, go left & drop into 040. Or you can stay on 041 & connect to 157 at the next 4-way by the big tree that fell this year. I'm sure you know how to access 039 from there. Anyway after an October swim in a foot of water in the river & a spring time submarine in 5' of water I tend to avoid the water crossing to 040 like the plague!

You can actually get to 039 via 041 at the dam. At the first 4-way, go left & drop into 040. Or you can stay on 041 & connect to 157 at the next 4-way by the big tree that fell this year. I'm sure you know how to access 039 from there. Anyway after an October swim in a foot of water in the river & a spring time submarine in 5' of water I tend to avoid the water crossing to 040 like the plague!

so you're one of the ones providing my entertainment.:D:) some times its not worth the fight to cross the dam on a busy weekend but your right you can get there either way

Girl Power - you sound exactly like a girl and her husband that came to look at a CRF230 I was selling. Is that you? Anyhow, take the Summit trailhead down to Timponeke, only one tight hairpin turn towards the end, but nothing bad. Fun twisty trail.

Reedus

We'll bring the bikes home this weekend. We checked out that section this week. Riding up there is SWEET. You must have sold your bike. I see it's missing. I think the hairiest part of riding there is the chances of a head on.:)

Girl Power - you sound exactly like a girl and her husband that came to look at a CRF230 I was selling. Is that you? Anyhow, take the Summit trailhead down to Timponeke, only one tight hairpin turn towards the end, but nothing bad. Fun twisty trail.

Reedus

Yep, that would be me. I still want the bike. We put mine on KSL to see if it would sell. Nothing yet. So the last 3 nights we have hiked the AF single track trails. We have traveled about 10 miles of it on foot. Our kids are troopers. I can't wait to bring the bike and the gear back from our cabin and find a sitter to ride the trails. Woooo Hooooo!!!!!!!!! Be even better if I was on a bigger bike.:)