Sign in to follow this  

Funny Dealer Experiences

I thought this would make a good thread about peoples funny or weird experiences at the dealer, or from a private seller.

I thought this would make a good thread about peoples funny or weird experiences at the dealer, or from a private seller.

I love Craigslist. I inquired about a DRZ for sale. Turns out it was kept an hour from where he had it listed because he intended on moving to that location at some point. Oh, and he posted it with pictures, but when I talked to him on the phone, he said he was going to take the after market exhaust off of it. And that he had someone else show up with cash to buy it, but he wasn't ready to sell it yet because he hadn't taken the muffler off and a couple other things, so he wasn't in a rush to sell it. And he said the reason he was selling it was becuase he was moving and it was easier to just buy another one (by the way, he had this thing TRICKED out. It was not 10 minutes worth of work to get a new bike to that state).

Needless to say, I didn't even bother doing business with this guy.

i was at hudson valley motorcycles in westchester county,NY. a harley type rider walks in the store starts lookin at helmets and says" do you have any helmets that only cover the very top of your head" joe the parts guy says" no but i can give you this plastic bag and put some paper towels in it for ya" everyone in the store was laughing. the guy just walked out.

I guess you can consider this in the weird column under private deals. I had a 660 Raptor that i didn't use and had been wanting a 4x4 "beater" of sorts for using out in the desert when we didn't want to gear up. I couldn't find anything worth trading for on Craigslist so i went onto Autotrader where i found an 88 (OJ) Bronco. The owner said he'd been sharing a quad between he and his wife when ever they took the kids out riding. The had a Bronco they were trying to sell of which they were going to buy a quad with the money. SMALL WORLD...Before finding all this out I asked via e-mail if he would be interested he said sure! I got my dezride he got his quad! The Bronco is white and i have a picture of OJ taped onto the side windows in the back...should make for some interesting conversations!

good stories, i have a bunch but heres a minor one that happend to me about an hour ago, i called up the local dealer and asked if they have any manuals in stock for a 2003 cr 125 so he checks and gets back and hes says well i have an 04 i said well that wouldnt work and he replyrd yeah but were getting closer, at that point im just like what??? so i ask ok so do you have an 03 manual or not he says no so i said thanks and hung up, it was just weird:blah:

The 03 and 04 CR125 are the same bike...

Anyways, here's my story. It's not related to bikes, but I had this set of car tires laying around and taking up space in my garage so I decided to put them in the classifieds. After a few classic "I'll think about it and call you back", a guy calls me and says he'll buy them. He never saw them, just talked on the phone. So he comes at my place, takes the tires without ever looking at them (they were in a plastic bag), puts them in his car and gives me more money than I was asking for! I told him to wait while I was getting the change, he said no and went away. That was pretty cool.

Nothing special, but everytime I go to the dealer, they dont have whatever I need in stock. ANYTHING I need, they just ran out or something.

The 03 and 04 CR125 are the same bike...

Anyways, here's my story. It's not related to bikes, but I had this set of car tires laying around and taking up space in my garage so I decided to put them in the classifieds. After a few classic "I'll think about it and call you back", a guy calls me and says he'll buy them. He never saw them, just talked on the phone. So he comes at my place, takes the tires without ever looking at them (they were in a plastic bag), puts them in his car and gives me more money than I was asking for! I told him to wait while I was getting the change, he said no and went away. That was pretty cool.

thats weird, on another note are you sure the 03 and 04 are the same, i dont think they are:excuseme:

thats weird, on another note are you sure the 03 and 04 are the same, i dont think they are:excuseme:

chances are...they are the same bike. with the exception of the "BOLD NEW GRAPHICS"

Not a motorcycle dealer by my salesman at the Yota dealer flat out lied to me about a truck he tried to trick me into buying.

I wanted a TRD Tundra with several other specific options, and he wheeled one up to the front with "everything" I wanted.

Me: This truck has the complete TRD package?

Liar: Yep, its ready for off-road

Me: How come its not on the sticker, and it doesn't have the TRD wheels?

Liar: The kit was installed by the dealer after delivery for a customer that didn’t end up buying the truck. He did not want the wheels, and apparently we didn’t update the sticker.

** I lay down and look under the truck

Me: Where did all of the skid plates go?

Liar: Ohh, the guy who ordered it didn't want those either. He said he wanted aftermarket ones anyways. Everything else should be right though.

Me: Why are the shocks black, and not blue like the Bilstiens that come on the TRD?

**Pause**

Me: So its a stock truck with the window tint/sliding rear window (comes with TRD kit) and someone slapped a TRD sticker on the bed?

**Pause**

Liar: Yes, but you really don't want that stuff anyways. It will kill your gas mileage and ride quality.

I walked off at that point, and ignored his request to "come back, we can find you something else".

His manager found me the truck I wanted and ordered it from a distant dealership. He gave me a good deal on it after describing my interaction with his salesman. :)

chances are...they are the same bike. with the exception of the "BOLD NEW GRAPHICS"

could be... but i dont think so because the parts compatibility are like 199? to 2002 and 2004-2007, 2003 is always left out. But ill have to check up on that.

could be... but i dont think so because the parts compatibility are like 199? to 2002 and 2004-2007, 2003 is always left out. But ill have to check up on that.

It's the same bike since 2002.

1 - when the 2001 GSXR1000 were just released - No dealers were willing to discount, in fact they were marking them up!

I contact F--r F--ld Cycles - about buying two for cash - they say come on up we will deal.

I go up there with more than enough cash in pocket for two - salesman jacks me around - I ask for owner - he jacks me around (not only no package deal- they are marking them up) - I say "thanks for wasting my time" show them what $25,000 cash looks like and walk away.

I then get in my truck, call my friend Scott who owns a Honda Yamaha Shop and ask if he knows any respectable, straight shooting Suzuki Dealers - he refers me to M---n Motosports. I call the owner, make a deal on the phone drive straight over and buy 2 GSXR1000 cash. I still hate that first shop and will tell people how bad they are if asked ( won't name them here though )

I always bought alot of Honda & Yamahas from Scott over the years.

2 - The time my 77 year old dad goes into an Oregon MC shop to buy a WR450 in his name so I can pick it up from his house the next weekend back in 2003. They were hard to get in Calif. when they first came out.

Salesman knew the deal but other customers and shop employees were wondering as it was loaded in my dads truck and he drove off.

3 - back in the day I was roadracing - the UPS guy was always overly curious because everyday I was receiving several packages from hard parts companies like yoshimura, brembo, suzuki, kosman, epm etc... and I was 19 and acted like everyday was Christmas!

4 - Once a few years ago, with wife present, I may have over reacted in a local parts shop when they were going to charge me three times what they had quoted me over the phone to mount and balance a set of Michelin Track tires.

In a crowded shop, I literally pulled my pants down, bent over and asked them if they just wanted to f*^( me right here and then do my tires. Then I went to another shop to have job done.

My wife was pretty embarassed. She didn't go back to that shop with me for quite a while.

4 - Once a few years ago, with wife present, I may have over reacted in a local parts shop when they were going to charge me three times what they had quoted me over the phone to mount and balance a set of Michelin Track tires.

In a crowded shop, I literally pulled my pants down, bent over and asked them if they just wanted to f*^( me right here and then do my tires. Then I went to another shop to have job done.

My wife was pretty embarassed. She didn't go back to that shop with me for quite a while.

haha thats really funny

LOL!!!!!

I don't really have any good stories but I was locked in a dealership when my brother was buying his yz125. When they went in the back room I sat down and started watching tv. Next thing I know they have the lights dim and there is nobody around. I got up and walked to the door and saw the salesman and my brother outside loading up the bike. He let me out.:)

No 2004 was a different bike than the 2005-2007 cr125's. 02-04 were the same

LOL!!!!!

I don't really have any good stories but I was locked in a dealership when my brother was buying his yz125. When they went in the back room I sat down and started watching tv. Next thing I know they have the lights dim and there is nobody around. I got up and walked to the door and saw the salesman and my brother outside loading up the bike. He let me out.:)

Lmfao . I had something like that happen before. But at wal-mart. They lost power for no reason in the middle of the day but heres my story.

Its nothing special but when i first bought my bike my dad wanted to use my xr100 as a trade in towards the down payment. The salesman before even seeing the bike said "well depending on the condition i can give you $1200 if its in almost perfect condition". Well the 2 days before I spent all day 12 hours a day cleaning the bike of all the mud from it. I even cleaned the tires so they looked new. I took off all the plastic gas tank everything. Use plastic renewel. The gas tank plastic was all vibrant like off the showroom floor. Me and my dad left that morning 8 in the morning because i knew that day i was getting a new bike. We got to the dealership and a couple of guys standing out front (huge dealership) asked "Man is that thing brand new or did you never ride it". I just laughed Got the bike off the back and I went in to get the salesman me and my mom talked to. He asked "thats the bike you wanna trade in". I told him yup. He went in to his little office space and grabbed a book. Old looking thing all torn up. Moves his fingers up and down the pages. Than goes on to his computer for like 2 seconds starts clicking like crazy. COmes out of his office and says. "I can give you $852". My dad and i looked at him like he was crazy. I said "So do you just want me to give you the bike instead". I asked the salesman where the bike was. He took us out to the side of the building. Sure enough there it was outside uncovered after it rained with the fmf pipe which didnt have a finish on it with tons of surface rusted. Before we left i asked the salesman what he thinks he will get for my old bike he said "I dont know the condition that its in I'll probably only make $100 on it and it will probably be sitting here for a few weeks maybe even a month. We got home i rode the biek it kept fouling out even when revving it all the time. Well we took it back the next day. While my dad talked to the salesman we made the deal with the day before. I went in the back where they keep the used bikes. Well my old bike wasnt there. So i looked around the whole store. I couldnt find it. So i went back over to the salesman and asked where my old bike was this is what his answer was "well about an hour after you left we sold the bike". I asked how much he said "I cant remember". I always thoguht it was funny how he said he would have a hard time selling it and sold it the next day. Well heres a video of my old xr100 you decide.

If I would have seen that I would have busted a gut laughing so hard. I feel the same way every time I walk out of must bike shops.

Are their mark up 400% or what? Try to buy as much as I can on line.

just bought a 07 KX 85 pipe and silencer in almost new condition off ebay for $37.00 including shipping. Wonder what a dealer would have charged me for that gem.

:worthy::ride::):D lol I can just imagine the faces of the people who work there

I then get in my truck, call my friend Scott who owns a Honda Yamaha Shop and ask if he knows any respectable, straight shooting Suzuki Dealers

Your friend owns a Honda/Yamaha shop and you still went and bought the Suzuki's?

Hmmmm