Sign in to follow this  

05 PW50, Crashed - Need advice -

My 4 yr old plowed into his bigger brother, causing some severe damage to the stock pw50. The Inner fork tubes are bent, as well as the front wheel.

Now to my delima; are there better afternarket parts to replace these stock parts and if so where? Where's the cheapest place to order OEM Yamaha parts from?

Appreciate any and all advice

My 4 yr old plowed into his bigger brother, causing some severe damage to the stock pw50. The Inner fork tubes are bent, as well as the front wheel.

Now to my delima; are there better afternarket parts to replace these stock parts and if so where? Where's the cheapest place to order OEM Yamaha parts from?

how bad are the inner tubes bent? i have seen them fixed before, have you checked the TT store they have a 110% low price gaurantee, if TT store does not have them i would look on ebay, sometimes you can find old 82 etc yami pw50's that all the parts will interchange for 300-400 hundred then you will also have other extra parts.

there is no aftermarket fork tubes or rims that i have ever seen for the pw50,

wow he must have hit hard to bend the rim, is your boy allright?

Go to:www.pwonly.com

You can call and the owner will cut you break if he's running a special. He also sells the parts on ebay but most of the time the winning bid is no cheaper.

I'm familar with the PW if you need any help.

Note: Make sure he didn't bend the frame at the headtube. Look for cracked or chipped paint. If the frame is bent you may be better off finding another pw.

Good Luck!

Todd

Go to:www.pwonly.com

You can call and the owner will cut you break if he's running a special. He also sells the parts on ebay but most of the time the winning bid is no cheaper.

I'm familar with the PW if you need any help.

Note: Make sure he didn't bend the frame at the headtube. Look for cracked or chipped paint. If the frame is bent you may be better off finding another pw.

Good Luck!

Todd

i dont think pwonly is still around the forum crashed all posts seemed to be lost, and the owner does not reply to emails, im not sure what happened, but pwonly wont even reply to a friends email that wanted the black pwdub plastics from him and he didnt even email him back.

im not sure if its internet issues or what but pwonly has seemed to be like this for some time now. maybe he went out of business :)

Good advice on frame neck +1

Yeah, from what they tell me they were racing across our pasture when for some reason my 6yr old on his KTM 50 MA decided to stop suddenly and my 4yr old slammed into the back of him. The KTM has a badly bent rear sprocket haven't noticed any other issues yet. The forks on the PW50 are bent enough that the front tire came back for enought to also break the spark plug cap, so yeah - it was a hard hit. The front wheel does not roll smoothly acts like the brake may be dragging since the wheel doesn't run true. I don't see any cracks in the frame or steering stem, however it is now loose in the the steering stem, so the race and bearings are probably out as well.

I'll try and take a few pics tomorrow night if anyone is interested in seeing it whole, before I start taking it apart.

Most importantly - Both my boys were fine. My 4yr old was crying, but only because it scared the **it out of him. He has a small little scratch on his arm just above the elbow guards. We always make them wear all there gear even though its just around the farm.

Thanks for the link to the other forks, I'll check into that as well. I have found a front wheel with hub and axle on ebay for around $ 50.00 - just checking my options at this point.

Thanks,

i would love to see pics, just as a reference if nothing else, im glad your boy is not injured. :)

did you email pwonly also im curious if everyone else is getting the same no replys and such?

i dont think pwonly is still around the forum crashed all posts seemed to be lost, and the owner does not reply to emails, im not sure what happened, but pwonly wont even reply to a friends email that wanted the black pwdub plastics from him and he didnt even email him back.

im not sure if its internet issues or what but pwonly has seemed to be like this for some time now. maybe he went out of business :)

Good advice on frame neck +1

They are still around I just spoke with the guy. Call (239) 566-9666.

Good Luck!

Todd

I have never posted pictures before on any forumn, appears its a bit more complicated than copying and pasting.

Jamracing21 if your really interested in seeing a couple photos I don't mind emailing them to you. Basically one photo is taken facing the front of the bike with the bars and fender pointing straight but the wheel faces to the right oh about 25-30 degress, the other photo is a side short showing the amount of the bend for the Inner Fork Tubes.

I did call the number listed for PWONLY.COM, and spoke with them briefly yesterday, seems that the stock setup on the PW's is all that is available.

I tried taking the forks apart last night, and one of them came apart pretty easy, the other gets about 3 inches from the top and will not come any further - ANY SUGGESTIONS? My initial thought is the lower fork tube on this one is slightly bent as well but if it is its not noticeable. Again the inner tube slides smoothly up and down but will not come out of the lower fork tube.

Also I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong on the shop online feature here because when I go to the oem parts it doesn't even list the PW50. I may just try calling the number listed.

Thanks,

After a little searching around, I am being told the right fork is not able to be disassembled, only option is to replace the complete fork.

After a little searching around, I am being told the right fork is not able to be disassembled, only option is to replace the complete fork.

wow just the right forK???? i have never ever heard that.

email me some pics jamracing21@yahoo.com

DID ANYONE ASK PWONLY WHAT HAPPENED TO THE FORUM AND WHY ALL THE POSTS WHERE DELETED ETC?

The PWONLY Forumn appears to be up an running as I just read several topics.

I have tried to disassemble the right fork with no success. I heated it, soaked the bottom in PB catalyst, used a slide hammer, etc....nothing. I did eventually get it apart (by brute force) but I sheared off a retaining pin at the bottom of the dampener rod. So it was basically useless and I ended up needing to buy a used set. The clymer manual states it is possible and shows an example of the right side fork disassembled but they also state it takes some force to separate the dampener assembly and the outer tube. Maybe it's possible with a new one or one that's not had any water or moisture settle in the bottom of the tube. That essentially welds the washer at the bottom of the spring to the bottom of the tube. I have also noticed that at the bottom of the tube (at least on mine) on the outside there are punch marks maybe to prevent the dampener assembly and tube from separating. Hence it was never meant to be disassembled (?). I've done a lot of searching and nobody that I've talked to has been successful at it and if they did, they weren't able to have much luck with reassembly. I haven't talked to cannonracecraft.com if they are able to dissemble them and how they do it but a apparently they are able to dissemble the rear shocks for stiffer springs.

If anyone has any suggestions. I'm open as well.

i just spoke with a friend tonight at the races he told me that PAX racing makes heavier fork springs for them for sure he said he had them put in his pw50 for loretta's, so i would assume that they have to come apart some how probably have to be pulled then pressed back in at a machine or suspension shop, i cant imagine that just one side doesnt come apart??:) i would call pro action or another suspension expert or even post this problem here in the suspension forum on TT,

so what would stop someone from using a left fork tube on the right side? that way they can both be taken apart??

so what would stop someone from using a left fork tube on the right side? that way they can both be taken apart??

That may work - but the OEM Inner Fork Tubes that bend cost $ 70.00 and PWONLY sells a set of complete forks for $ 150.00. I have not found any aftermarket forks or Inner Fork Tubes yet that would be a cheaper or better alternative.

i just spoke with a friend tonight at the races he told me that PAX racing makes heavier fork springs for them for sure he said he had them put in his pw50 for loretta's, so i would assume that they have to come apart some how probably have to be pulled then pressed back in at a machine or suspension shop, i cant imagine that just one side doesnt come apart??:) i would call pro action or another suspension expert or even post this problem here in the suspension forum on TT,

Good thought. Probably wouldn't be that hard to do. Just cut or grind off the brake drum locating pin. Problem is there would be no dampner since it lies in the right tube. I don't know that it does a whole lot anyway.

Man, someone has to know how to do this properly. Or maybe it's one of those "secrets" that no one want's to share.

I tried taking the forks apart last night, and one of them came apart pretty easy, the other gets about 3 inches from the top and will not come any further - ANY SUGGESTIONS? My initial thought is the lower fork tube on this one is slightly bent as well but if it is its not noticeable. Again the inner tube slides smoothly up and down but will not come out of the lower fork tube.

Thanks,

I disassembled both forks last night. Same situation here. I do not know way the right did not come apart. I was ready to give up and reached for the saw when it read my mind and popped open at the last try.

The internals of the forks are different, specifically, the damper.

I don't know what to make out of this. BikeBandit only show the schematics and parts for the left leg. The same for the Clymer manual. However, the photo instructions in Clymer are for the right leg it seems.

I can't see what inside the fork tube made it stuck. My forks were not bent but very dirty. Not rusted at all but a lot of gunk inside. Unfortunately, the pin holding the damper and the bottom spring seat is broken and no idea where to get that part from.

I don't understand why Yamaha would have different fork legs and I am not sure if this was a modification that the previous owner had done or this was the stock bike.

I disassembled both forks last night. Same situation here. I do not know way the right did not come apart. I was ready to give up and reached for the saw when it read my mind and popped open at the last try.

The internals of the forks are different, specifically, the damper.

I don't know what to make out of this. BikeBandit only show the schematics and parts for the left leg. The same for the Clymer manual. However, the photo instructions in Clymer are for the right leg it seems.

I can't see what inside the fork tube made it stuck. My forks were not bent but very dirty. Not rusted at all but a lot of gunk inside. Unfortunately, the pin holding the damper and the bottom spring seat is broken and no idea where to get that part from.

I don't understand why Yamaha would have different fork legs and I am not sure if this was a modification that the previous owner had done or this was the stock bike.

the diagram i just looked at shows a different rubber bumper in the right leg, they are slightly different i think there thought was you only have to change the spring in the left leg to stiffen it? maybe there failed attempt on making it easy for us?

I have tried to disassemble the right fork with no success. I heated it, soaked the bottom in PB catalyst, used a slide hammer, etc....nothing. I did eventually get it apart (by brute force) but I sheared off a retaining pin at the bottom of the dampener rod. So it was basically useless and I ended up needing to buy a used set.

Pretty cool. I've done the same thing, shearing off the pin. Seems a bad fork design, how are we supposed to take it apart to clean it?