Sign in to follow this  

Is there good riding in Dillon MT

I am thinking of applying for a job in Dillon.

Is there good riding near Dillon?

How long is the riding season?

Is there a local dirt bike club?

Some buddies and I based at the Grasshopper Inn in Polaris, MT a couple of years ago, some great riding in that area. A guy (his name escapes me) that worked at the Honda dealer in Dillon took us on an awesome one day ride. The dealership is Adventure Cycle and Sled. www.adventurecycleandsled.com

E-mail them cyclensled@msn.com they will be happy to give you info on riding in the area.

The riding in montana is almost shut down everywhere, the spots that are open are way over used, the riding around here is horrible.:)

Not true...if you head north a little, Pipestone in the Butte area is awesome. Hundredes of miles to ride. Also the Anaconda and Helena area's have plenty of riding options.

You can also visit www.montanamotocross.com

We have a ton of tracks including one in Dillon to ride and become a member with...

Jason

wow, talk about not seeing the humorous misdirection in motodaddys post.....

:)

it is unfortunate though that almost all of our favorite riding spots here in MT are getting shut down. lets all get together and continue to shut down every right a American has until we cant even take a crapper in our own toilets without a noxious odor permit.....

Lots of riding around the Dillon area. But just like the rest of Montana, be prepared to drive a little bit to get to it. The Pioneers to the NW of Dillon have some great riding, as well as the continental divide area to the SW. Expect about an hour drive to get to a trailhead or off load point.

Pipestone/Homestake is a great area to the north, but is highly overused. I try to avoid the area during the weekends as there is just too much traffic. This is about a 1 hr 15 min drive from Dillon. Before you get to Butte, you can turn off at the continental divide at Feely and get in some good riding in the Fleecer Mtn. area.

Depending on where you are in the state, the riding is either phenomenal in your local National Forest, or non-existent (like for the poor bastards near Missoula). There is no in between. Like everywhere else, it is a constant battle.

Depending on what temperatures and conditions you are willing to ride, you can ride year round depending on your location. The mountains, of course, get buried in snow, but that is moot as most areas close Oct. 1 to OHV use (for wildlife winter range). Those areas usually officially reopen on May 15th. The Pipestone/Homestake area is an exception as it is legal to ride year round. The lower Pipestone area is BLM and has some pretty entertaining stuff for the two wheel crowd if you know where to look.

The Anaconda MX track (about 1.5 hrs north of Dillon) is usually clear of snow for the majority of the year as well. I ride out there year round.

There is also a group of nutcases (and I mean that in the best way!) that does ice riding near Helena on the reserviors.

I never put the bikes away, as I will still happily ride in the snow (I've got hand warmers under my grips). If the snow just gets to be too deep, then I pull the sled out and get my fix that way.

There is still some good riding to be had up near missoula but I only do it during the week. The best riding around here is in the bitteroot about a 45min drive, theres lot s of riding here you just have to know someone.

There is some awesome riding in the area south of Wise River. That shouldnt be too far of a drive from Dillon. We have driven the 4 hrs over from Billings for a day ride and back that night. 👍 In the winter, we can almost always ride Elk Basin, you could come over for a weekend if you need a fix real bad.

In the winter, we can almost always ride Elk Basin, you could come over for a weekend if you need a fix real bad.

Good Old Elk Basin. Not much there but it never gets old. Might have to bring the bike home and head down that way sometime soon.👍

Good Old Elk Basin. Not much there but it never gets old. Might have to bring the bike home and head down that way sometime soon.👍

Yeah, come down with us, there is ALOT more there than one might realize. There is literally hundreds of miles of true single track. You just have to know where to find it. Look forward to riding with you again Brett. Todd.

Thanks for the info

what elevation do you jet your bikes for?

In Washington most trails are between sea level and 6500 feet elevation.

Thanks for the info

what elevation do you jet your bikes for?

In Washington most trails are between sea level and 6500 feet elevation.

I jet my bikes for where I live, 3200 ft, thats where I ride the most. Then I just deal with it when I ride the mountains. Cant jet for the mountains because its easy to go from 4500 to over 9000 on one ride.

I jet for 5000 feet and then just deal with it. I just listen to the popping at lower elevations and adjust the fuel screw accordingly. I also do a lot of night riding, so just like in the desert you can see wild swings in temperature. Swings of 40 degrees in one day are not all that uncommon. It was 100 yesterday, but it is supposed to be cold enough to snow tonight in some high locations (global warming my a$$).

Like Black N Blue said, it is really easy to gain over 5000 feet in elevation in one ride depending on location.